• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Franchise Gets New Fall TV Anime, New Digimon Adventure 02 Anime Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:32 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Personally, I'm more excited about the brand new TV series than the 02 movie...which happens to ignore a pretty important piece of lore that was in the 1999 series. First of all, Davis is NOT the first human to befriend a Digimon. In the Adventure-verse, it was established that there were 5 other humans who befriended Digimon before the main eight. Did the creators of the movie just conveniently forget that information???

If it wasn't already abundant clear with Kizuna and its inclusion of an age limit to being a chosen child (despite that completely contradicting 02, and basically just existing for cheap drama), the people in charge do not care about the pre-established facts of Adventure.

Speaking of, so much for Kizuna being the last entry of the Adventure verse (with the message of "you have to eventually move on from the things you were attached to as a child"). It was already somewhat comical with the reboot being announced before the movie even aired, but now we just have an added layer to the farce.

Last edited by JoelBurger on Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Everlasting Coconut wrote:

Egan Loo wrote:
The staff didn't say that Daisuke/Davis is the voice heard in the teaser

"V-Mon and I were preparing ramen" is a pretty good indicator that the narrator is Davis Razz

Heh, sorry, I meant to say the face seen in the teaser.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I hope the 02 movie retcons the distant finale from the end of the TV series.
glafrun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:14 am Reply with quote
as long as this movie leads to some form of reboot to digimon tamers season. and a live action film of digimon world 3. that would probably be the only digimon season pg-13 that would go crazy as a live action. the story is there. between transformers live action and detective pikachu they got the graphics down.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:12 am Reply with quote
Chiaki J Konaka has already stated on Twitter a Tamers sequel isn’t happening and that the time for a Tamers sequel has already passed and you should support original anime with similar themes instead.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:44 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Chiaki J Konaka has already stated on Twitter a Tamers sequel isn’t happening and that the time for a Tamers sequel has already passed and you should support original anime with similar themes instead.

Can you find the tweet for me? Last I heard, there were no plans, but it's not like he has completely given up. He worked on that stage drama recently, hoping for a new product release (of the stage drama). Urobuchi said he wouldn't work on Madoka again, but many years later, here we are. To avoid similar situations, most creators tend to prefer to say, "There are no plans right now" instead of "It will never come to pass".
glafrun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:34 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Well, if they really stood by that we wouldn't have these digimon adventure reboot anime and movies. So, since they are already going back on their word and rebooting even older digimon, it only makes sense tamers is next in line. Which is arguably the most popular of the 3.
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:34 am Reply with quote
Regardless of if its Davis or not thats being pen'd as having partnered with the 1st Digimon, I want to point to the lore of Digimon. So many fans have forgotten or overlooked that there is not 1 single Digital World nor 1 single timeline. There are MULTIPLE. We see and are told this in places. From Mirai in the Cyber Sleuth games, from Ryou Akiyama appearing in 02 I think it was but being in Tamers and he seemingly winds up in other games/possibly anime? as well when he shouldn't. We also see this spoiler alert for Digimon Hunters (aka Xros Wars' 3rd and final season) but we also see this with spoiler[many Tamers from every season b4 then coming together in the same timeline/world line.] and it is explicitly said spoiler[they're from dif timelines and some from dif worlds].

These are just some of the BEST and most notable examples that there is more than 1 timeline/world line in the Digimon series. More than 1 digital and human world. So what is canon? Whatever is said and shown for those words/timeline. In the case of Tri/Kizuna and possibly 02 movie that just got announced, they are their OWN timeline, yes even Kizuna is not from the same timeline as the Tri movies even though its a sequel to them becus it had stuff in it that didn't happen in the Tri movies major spoilers but spoiler[(Jedi being good when he was evil at the end and Meiko still with her partner)] so again, whats canon is simply whatever is said and shown in each world line/time line. The good news? This means if something in a future adap (e.g. Tri, Kizuna, new 02 movie and so on) ruined the OG for u becus it contradicted the OG, well, thats not true and u still have what happened i the OG as its its own world line/timeline.

This isn't meant to defend any series/movie btw, it won't change the fact some stuff got mishandled/done poorly and should've been done dif/better but what i am saying is, there is no one canon and fans need to remember this has been a thing since nearly the start of the series (As early back as Adventure 02 anime).
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:54 am Reply with quote
glafrun wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Well, if they really stood by that we wouldn't have these digimon adventure reboot anime and movies. So, since they are already going back on their word and rebooting even older digimon, it only makes sense tamers is next in line. Which is arguably the most popular of the 3.

Er, you say that but the Blu ray set for the series with the backdoor sequel audio drama only sold *alright* in Japan compared to the adventure sets. I know it's pretty well respected here in the west but critical respect dosen't always equal the general popularity something would need to keep itself alive. Furthermore, even if there were some sequel they decided to do later down the line, if the original creators for tamers aren't involved I don't think it'd be worth it to do or watch. At that point it'd be much better to just do new digimon series instead.
wjbraden

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:04 pm Reply with quote
So no Dragon Ball Super Duper 2uper anime anytime soon I take it. Maybe after this finishes out I guess haha.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

Can you find the tweet for me? Last I heard, there were no plans, but it's not like he has completely given up. He worked on that stage drama recently, hoping for a new product release (of the stage drama). Urobuchi said he wouldn't work on Madoka again, but many years later, here we are. To avoid similar situations, most creators tend to prefer to say, "There are no plans right now" instead of "It will never come to pass".
I'm unable to find the tweet so I don't know if Konaka later deleted it, but he had recently tweeted out that the time for a Tamers sequel has passed and that Tamers fans should support original anime series that have similar themes instead. The upcoming Madoka sequel was a script Urobuchi wrote years ago shortly after Rebellion came out. It's only just now being finally made into a movie but Urobuchi has no further involvement than that. If Toei was going to do a Tamers sequel, it would have been this year during the 20th anniversary but they opted to do an original series instead. Fans who are always complaining about too much Adventure should support Ghost Game as Appmon got barely much support from the fandom and did poorly even though it was just as good as Tamers if not even a little better.

Quote:
Konaka has no involvement with Adventure or any of the recent sequels or reboots. The most popular season of Digimon is still the original Adventure which is why they keep returning to making more content of it. Out of Adventure, 02, and Tamers, the new Tamers BD boxset in Japan sold the most poorly in Japan. I love Tamers and it's my favorite season but it's not as popular as fans make it out to be and it doesn't really need more and it ended at the perfect spot and any sequel is not going to live up to fan expectations.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Adventure reboot was pretty meh for me, so an actual new Digimon series is more my cup of tea. Tamers sequel would be cool, but yeah, it's not as popular as Adventure was so I'm not surprised. Out of all the series that needs a reboot, Frontier could benefit the most. I remember a lot of later plotlines got cut and changed back in the day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2