• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tatsuki Fujimoto's Look Back 1-shot Gets Changed Post-Publication to Avoid "Promoting

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
If the story isn't about mental illness and isn't going to tackle any of the issues why make the violent person in your story someone with schizophrenia? Just to reference the arson attack? If the one-shot is about mental illness than it shouldn't have been changed, but if the fact that "an attack happens" is the relevant part of the story here than I don't see why the mental state of the perpetrator matters.

Haven't read it. But if the line is "hearing voices" and there's context of some supernatural aspect to it, or the murderer himself is merely attempting to plead insanity or mental illness to get out of jail free, then I don't see that depicting or badly framing schizophrenia, even if the context is that the authorities might consider the person mentally unstable. It's common for people to plead insanity or mental instability to get a lighter sentence or get off entirely. it might even be referencing the perpetrator of the KyoAni arson incident as well.

So I'd disagree. This looks like censorship for the sake of avoiding a possible social media campaign brouhaha that is unwarranted. So the publisher is folding in rather than standing by the work and the artist.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:29 pm Reply with quote
This is censorship, and even too soon doesn't apply as enough time has passed since the arson. I doubt it's promoting mass murder at all, you usually can tell easily, if a work promotes such things.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:41 pm Reply with quote
And there goes Japan again being completely morons about mental issues.
"It's not real, grow up"...
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Though I doubt the author was intentionally basing his story off the KyoAni arson, I never really bought the idea that there should be some holding period on representation of a tragedy in media unless the work is trivializing the incident.

I'm more sympathetic to the line of reasoning that the work could be perpetuating stereotypes of those with mental illness. I'm much less concerned about audience-induced changes to a commercial work compared to the much more serious issues leading to the criticism of the work. Perhaps if mental health was not chronically underfunded and those with mental illness not systematically oppressed in society and media, consumers wouldn't feel as much a need to complain. I'd venture that casual racism/sexism wouldn't be seen as poorly if the maligned groups hadn't been systematically oppressed for centuries, but maybe that's just me. So perhaps actually working to solve these problems would lead to less so-called "censorship."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2