Forum - View topic
NEWS: Inio Asano Aims to End Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction Manga This Year




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
cookiemanstah



Joined: 09 Dec 2013
Posts: 497
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:18 am Reply with quote
this man is truly a legend. It's a bit strange apart from some illustrating contributions, his works have never been adapted to anime. Anime does seinen even now if they feel it will perform commercially.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whitestrider





PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:20 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
this man is truly a legend. It's a bit strange apart from some illustrating contributions, his works have never been adapted to anime. Anime does seinen even now if they feel it will perform commercially.


Yeah, but seinen anime are a rarity, unless it's something they think it can sell really well...they prefer doing live action adaptations in most cases.
Back to top
tfwnoymir



Joined: 03 Dec 2017
Posts: 205
Location: Hungary
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:
this man is truly a legend. It's a bit strange apart from some illustrating contributions, his works have never been adapted to anime. Anime does seinen even now if they feel it will perform commercially.


Yeah, but seinen anime are a rarity, unless it's something they think it can sell really well...they prefer doing live action adaptations in most cases.


Which he certainly got, both Solanin and recently A Girl on the Shore has been adapted to live action movies. Can't say if they're good though, haven't seen them. The way I see it, Dededede is his only work which I think it might just work out as an anime, but even that is questionable, as it would need multiple seasons and cours. As much as I love Punpun, it's almost completely unadaptable for a TV format - very NSFW and it's too long and obscure, therefore a financial risk - and the rest of his works are too short to be adapted.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Oggers



Joined: 29 Nov 2017
Posts: 256
Location: Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:
Yeah, but seinen anime are a rarity, unless it's something they think it can sell really well...they prefer doing live action adaptations in most cases.


Most "cute girls doing cute things" anime are based on seinen manga (such as basically anything from Manga Time Kirara, like K-On, New Game and Laid-Back Camp), so it's not that much of a rarity. It is rare for seinen manga similar to Asano's works to get adapted to anime, though, and they probably prefer to adapt those to live action since their stories tend to be more grounded.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whitestrider





PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
Whitestrider wrote:
Yeah, but seinen anime are a rarity, unless it's something they think it can sell really well...they prefer doing live action adaptations in most cases.


Most "cute girls doing cute things" anime are based on seinen manga (such as basically anything from Manga Time Kirara, like K-On, New Game and Laid-Back Camp), so it's not that much of a rarity. It is rare for seinen manga similar to Asano's works to get adapted to anime, though, and they probably prefer to adapt those to live action since their stories tend to be more grounded.


How many anime from seinen manga are produced every year?
Back to top
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber



Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Posts: 2972
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:
How many anime from seinen manga are produced every year?


Not sure about "per year", but these are all adaptations of Manga Time Kirara-brand manga:

A Channel
Anima Yell!
Anne Happy!
Asteroid in Love
Blend-S
Castle Town Dandelion
Comic Girls
Doujin Work
Dream Eater Merry
GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class
Gourmet Girl Graffiti
Hanayamata
Harukana Receive
Hidamari Sketch
Is the Order a Rabbit?
K-On!
Kanamemo
Kill Me Baby
Kiniro Mosaic
Laid-Back Camp
New Game!
Place to Place
Sakura Trick
Sansha Sanyou
School-Live!
Slow Start
Stella no Mahou
Tamayomi
The Demon Girl Next Door
Urara Meirocho
Yuyushiki


(Based on the TVTropes page. It's possible they missed a couple.)

Seems like it's about one per season related to that particular imprint. I feel like that's about the rate that Shonen Jump titles get adaptations (although a far greater number of them get more than one coeur, so it's not that fair of a comparison, but still).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Whitestrider





PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:07 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Seems like it's about one per season related to that particular imprint. I feel like that's about the rate that Shonen Jump titles get adaptations (although a far greater number of them get more than one coeur, so it's not that fair of a comparison, but still).


There's not only Shounen Jump that publishes shounen manga, though...
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group