• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - A Study in Scarlet Nexus

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Generations

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:34 am Reply with quote
To be fair, not watching the anime, that's a pretty accurate assessment of the story of the game. The gameplay is fun and the aesthetic designs of the Others are top-notch, but the story is incredibly Tales Of -- and I do mean that in a bad way.

I feel most Tales Of stories always start with a basic story, then add as many adjectives to make it the unnecessarily overcomplicated plot it is. I swear if you remove the entire plot point that spoiler[involves the moon], literally nothing would change and the story would be tighter. I definitely don't think the story is good enough to warrant the need for an anime adaptation.

I do hope the anime uses some of the game's soundtrack though, because that OST was a surprise banger. If I had to describe it, it's like Masashi Hamauzu did Megaman music. It's pretty dang good.

The game's also on PC if you want to try it out.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:13 am Reply with quote
It kind of feels like Bandai Namco is competing with themselves a bit. I've been considering getting the Scarlet Nexus game, but haven't done so since I probably wouldn't get to it right away. But I've also been holding off with the anime because I'm a bit concerned that I'll come out of it feeling like there isn't a need to play the game after that.

And it seems pretty apt to compare it to Tales. I do plan to get Tales of Arise, so now I'm wondering if I'll even get around to Scarlet Nexus anytime soon if I'm more interested in an upcoming game that at least feels pretty similar in what it offers.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Not watching it but everything I read about it make it seems like the creator un ironically liked guilty crown and tried to make another anime just like it.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
It kind of feels like Bandai Namco is competing with themselves a bit. I've been considering getting the Scarlet Nexus game, but haven't done so since I probably wouldn't get to it right away. But I've also been holding off with the anime because I'm a bit concerned that I'll come out of it feeling like there isn't a need to play the game after that.

Agreed. It seems like it would be best to stick to the game, but it seems Bandai's choice here wasn't great. I would think a side story would have been a better choice to promote the game then essentially the same story that could cut in to sales of the game.
rinshiiya

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I love Scarlet Nexus a lot, it quickly became one of my favourite games but..... yeah, the anime leaves much to be desired lol it's a pretty painful watch and not reflective of the game at all tbh. I'll try to say this without saying anything vital and will tag it just in case, but spoiler[they've basically assassinated Kagero's entire character in episode 5] so any remaining hope (not that I really had any) I had for this adaptation is gone lol

I highly recommend the game as it's fun as heck and paces itself very well
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying the anime. It's a failure in that it doesn't make me want to play the game but I feel the show's doing a smashing job of always ending on a cliffhanger and so far, it's six for six.

Speaking of six, episode 6 shows this discussion was done prior to its release as it explains, negates and outright excuses many of these comments. The true hallmark of a well made serial: Don't nail down the plot until you're about to watch the final episode.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:58 am Reply with quote
haven't watched the anime, but i am playing the game...and i feel the same way i did when i played 13 Sentinels. Both are fun but as far as the plot goes it seems like they just felt like adding as many sci fi themes into one game as they could feasibly fit in.
liquidblueocean

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:05 pm Reply with quote
The story is a train wreck in both the game and anime because it throws too many things into the one basket. This article mentions time travel, the Others, that weird guy talking about society needing fixing, and then the game adds a fourth the anime hasn't got to yet. If they choose two at max then there'd be time to cover it.
The game also allows you to choose two story pathways, so if you want to know both you can't watch the anime because it puts both together, tho the game is even less coherent because of this.
As for the animation from Sunrise, they've done much better before. This looks like it was first rendered in SD and very plain. The visuals in the game blow it out of the water
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1