• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of Summer 2021, Jul 1-28

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:40 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
MagicPolly wrote:
Damn what did To Your Eternity do to drop so low? I haven't been able to keep up with it so I have no clue what's going on in the current arc.
Can someone current on the series please explain how it went from super hyped to now dropping like a rock super hard please. is it just an adaptation thing or is the source material just turned sour?

It's hard to say, since as far as I'm concerned it's still doing great. There have been a lot of different complaints from a lot of different people, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus about exactly what the problem is. I guess everyone had their own ideas of what the story should've been, and for the most part it hasn't been any of those things.

I guess the manga people were satisfied with the manga but not the anime (the usual "they cut this, they should've cut that instead" issues, with no agreement on which parts are "this" and "that"), so you can call that an adaptation issue if you want.

There's been a new primary character that people don't seem to like much, which may be feeding the negative feelings. Maybe there are other reasons, but I can only go by comments on the reviews, and that's not the sum of people rating it. And I'm sure some will disagree with my perceptions of the issues being voiced. I'm not the authority. So in the end, I guess my answer is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Penrhos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:11 am Reply with quote
Your Eternity - The last two episodes weren't as good as the previous ones in animation or adaptation, from my point of view the current character arc just doesn't feel as engaging as previous ones. Maybe the Hype has run out for many people after all it was always going to be a tough job to live up to the amount of hype the series got..

Pity there isn't an option/counter for how many people have "dropped" a show as I've dropped more this season than usual - I'm down to just 8 shows I'm actively watching and 3 of those are sequels.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:23 am Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
I can accept GFx2 being near the bottom as romcoms that rely on it's characters sharing collectively half of one brain cell to deliver its humor isn't for everyone

The whole point of Girlfriend, Girlfriend (Kanojo mo Kanojo) is to take the standard rom-com tropes of the past two decades and push them to the point of absurdity. When one understands that, the show is hilarious (at least in Japanese with English subtitles). The show should be judged as its success (or lack thereof) as a parody and not as a serious attempt at drama.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:36 am Reply with quote
Penrhos wrote:
Your Eternity - The last two episodes weren't as good as the previous ones in animation or adaptation, from my point of view the current character arc just doesn't feel as engaging as previous ones. Maybe the Hype has run out for many people after all it was always going to be a tough job to live up to the amount of hype the series got..

Pity there isn't an option/counter for how many people have "dropped" a show as I've dropped more this season than usual - I'm down to just 8 shows I'm actively watching and 3 of those are sequels.

I would love to see a site like mal, but it actually shows when people drop a series
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow -- guess I'm far from the only one commenting on it, but I cannot believe how much hate TYE has gotten in the ratings/rankings. The last few episodes haven't been as stellar as where it opened (less emotionally engaging characters so far, some of the old emotional themes seem to be getting beaten into the ground rather than brought to a satisfying resolution, feels a bit more shounen-y and a bit less unique, environments are less beautiful and distinctive, etc), but it's still a darned good show.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Not yet, but we're hoping to add unreviewed simulcasts in the future.

-t

That's great, always neat to see more data Smile
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if this is doable, but I get a feeling from how I rate shows that it's, at times, influenced by the average shown. Is there some way not to have the average shown until after you're personnel input?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:47 pm Reply with quote
If that's a problem for you, why don't you just determine your rating before you open the page where the rating widget is? Then stick to your guns! Don't be a tool of the masses!
chex mix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:28 am Reply with quote
Thank you for finally bringing this feature back, it was one of my favorites and I missed it.
myskaros

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
If that's a problem for you, why don't you just determine your rating before you open the page where the rating widget is? Then stick to your guns! Don't be a tool of the masses!

Probably because most people won't think about rating an episode until after they open up the review and see that they can rate it. Out of sight, out of mind, etc.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:07 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
If that's a problem for you, why don't you just determine your rating before you open the page where the rating widget is?

Probably because most people won't think about rating an episode until after they open up the review and see that they can rate it. Out of sight, out of mind, etc.

Well, ok, but I find it kind of hard to imagine that people who do that are particularly worried that their own ratings might be influenced by others'. Can't those who are concerned about that easily train themselves not to peek before they decide on their rating? It's not like the ratings widgets/averages are randomly popping up across the site and you never know where you might encounter one. Smile

On the other hand, if you can't see the current rating until after you vote, that means people must vote whether or not they have an opinion beyond idle curiosity, even if they only wanted to see how the community is rating it. I suppose you could put spoiler tags over the community ratings, but is that really necessary (half the forum already looks like a redacted FOIA document)? It just seems like one more thing that could throw a wrench into an already complicated system. Not to mention a lot of work (maybe?) to code because "don't peek until you decide" is too hard? I might be missing something here. But whatever, it's certainly not my call to make.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:48 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Wow -- guess I'm far from the only one commenting on it, but I cannot believe how much hate TYE has gotten in the ratings/rankings.

Contemporary audiences do not seem to like having characters in a show killed off - the main complaint I hear about To Your Eternity (Fumetsu no Anata e) is "March died", "Gugu died", etc. Good thing that no one (as far as I am aware) is planning a remake of Fushigi Yūgi or similar high body count shows.
myskaros

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I might be missing something here. But whatever, it's certainly not my call to make.

I mean, simply that if ANN wants more people to rate episodes, it wouldn't hurt to listen to user feedback. This is a solution that ANN can implement themselves, if they cared about getting more people to rate episodes. Your argument of "(each person) can easily train to just" isn't necessarily wrong, it's just not going to change the status quo either.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:11 pm Reply with quote
There's a fair bit of evidence that anchoring effects exist and can be significant (though, with the replication crisis fully recognized these days, any social scientific or medical result based on sampling & statistical inference is owed extra scrutiny), i.e., that viewing the average rating before being prompted to rate could affect many peoples' ratings non-negligibly. That would seem to argue for hiding ratings (or showing them some kind of default prompt, e.g. an explanation of the upper, middle, and low ends of the desired interpretation of the scale), at least by default, from viewers until they rate a show, or perhaps randomly assigning viewers to two categories (hidden ratings until rated, non-hidden ratings) and providing options to view results from each category separately, or aggregated.

On the other hand, that is a little complicated, and many viewers would probably find it annoying to have ratings hidden from them by default. Even just one extra button-click per show view is probably enough to deter a non-zero percentage of people from rating at all, or to deter some percentage of people from using ANN as their primary ratings source.

Doesn't seem like an obvious win from ANN's perspective either way, to me, just tradeoffs to consider.

EDIT: Totally unrelated, but anyone have any idea how to get a link with parentheses in it to embed inside url tags in BBS-HTML properly? I think that's what's screwing up the first wiki link, anyway, and adding single or double quotes around the URL doesn't seem to help. Hrm.(Gina pointed out in a later reply that I could use the URL encodings -- %28, %29 -- for (, ) to fix this. Neat.)

Last edited by NeverConvex on Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:24 am; edited 2 times in total
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:53 pm Reply with quote
The average rating doesn't affect my rating that I know of, but the reviews certainly do --- mostly because the reviewer reminds me of something in the episode that changes my opinion one way or the other. I often find myself reconsidering my rating as I am reading the review.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3