• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: In the Land of Leadale TV Anime Reveals 1st Promo Video, Cast, January 2022 Premiere (Updated)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psajdak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Not gonna lie, this looks really nice and relaxing.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was Eri Kitamura for a second there (given the other a-list names in the cast, it kind of furthered that assumption), but congrats to Eri Yukamura's first role!

This looks like a new Killing Slimes...
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:13 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Quote:
This looks like a new Killing Slimes...

The setup is closer to How Not to Summon a Demon Lord, without the slavery and fanservice. The Land of Leadale is a VRMMRPG. The MC wakes up in the Land of Leadale, which is the significance of the title.
NG_Chloe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:50 am Reply with quote
Looks cute, it's nice to see another isekai with a female led protagonist(as opposed to another male lead whose either generic or a jerk)
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Read the first novel on this one. The story has a female lead, yes, but that doesn't change the fact that it's still a straightforward "trapped in a game" power fantasy, where she's a max level carry-over and everything in the current setting is vastly out of scale with her abilities. It's more similar to Overlord than How NOT To Summon a Demon Lord in set-up, though with a tone more in line with something like I've Been Killing Slimes For 300 Years.

Basically, if the tropes of "trapped in a game" power fantasies normally annoy you, I wouldn't expect much different here. The slave/servant/harem groupie aspect just gets replaced with another element that's equally eye-rolling: spoiler[several of the most powerful and important people in the current time were her adopted kids in game time.] I'll probably watch it to see if the story deals more with some of the mystery aspects underlying the premise once it gets past first-novel content, but it's not going to be a high-priority title for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:15 pm Reply with quote
@Key

I wouldn't say she is trapped in the game so much as rescued by it. Her real life sucked big time and the game was her only release. Now she gets to live in it. Her being over powered is treated as humor. Would be enemies are treated as irritations rather than threats. She is not trying to conquer anything.

I'm three volumes into the series and yes, the underlying mysteries are being addressed albeit very slowly. This is likely the thread that will hold the series together. spoiler[She also finds she has a grandchild and great grandchild at 17. She also runs into some other players who are trapped.] This should be approached more as a slice of life in a fantasy game world than an adventure show.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:50 am Reply with quote
I get this series confused with “A wild last boss appears”, not my favorite series but worth a check if the anime is well done.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:57 am Reply with quote
My big problem with Overlord is that it presents roflstomping enemies as itself interesting, when I really don't see it that way. So if the tone is closer than I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years, I'm interested (because the OP was the setup for the interesting parts), but if it's more like Kuma^3 Bear (which treated the OP as itself the interesting part), meh.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:52 pm Reply with quote
@Yttrbio

The series is mostly the main character exploring the game world and noticing how it changed since she was last there. Enemies are rare, about one per volume, and are treated as something that has to be dealt with so she can get on with her life. This will not be the show if you want big fight scenes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1