• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Femboy Films Cancels DAICON III Fan Restoration As GAINAX Launches Own Restoration Effort

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Kind of sad to see FF's work go to waste, but I wonder how Gainax is gonna officially restore it with all the copyrighted material in it. Not to mention Gainax being a corpse of a company at this point.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:06 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
Kind of sad to see FF's work go to waste, but I wonder how Gainax is gonna officially restore it with all the copyrighted material in it. Not to mention Gainax being a corpse of a company at this point.

The fact that Gainax is a corpse of a company is maybe why this is even possible for them: they might just not give a damn about the copyright stuff at this point.

And any of those companies that go after something like this, really would be shooting themselves in the foot, (though there is so much IP in there all it takes is one company being trigger happy I suppose). Here's hoping it at least gets a full restoration from its creator(s), and that it gets at the very least archived properly, even if there is never an "official" release people can buy.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I thought Gainax went out of business.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:55 pm Reply with quote
That's a shame, I'd love to see a remastered version of the Daicon III and IV shorts now, but if Gainax is working on their own version perhaps we'll see it soon. I think Gainax still has the original print of the shorts, but isn't the major problem about the shorts the music tracks and copyrighted characters who appear in them? Could it be possible for Gainax to remaster the shorts, change the music and release them on YouTube or another platform with some disclaimer saying it's a parody and thus protected by fair use?
DangeresqueIII

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
... but isn't the major problem about the shorts the music tracks and copyrighted characters who appear in them? Could it be possible for Gainax to remaster the shorts, change the music and release them on YouTube or another platform with some disclaimer saying it's a parody and thus protected by fair use?

ELO's song for IV will definitely be an issue. But Im not familiar with Japanese copyright laws, can you not use "other characters" without permission? Here in the US you have shows like Simpsons and Family Guy that show tons of copyrighted characters but never(?) get in trouble for it. Probably because its satirical and only for a few seconds (like you said "fair use"). Wouldn't that apply for IV?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:06 am Reply with quote
DangeresqueIII wrote:
Silver Kirin wrote:
... but isn't the major problem about the shorts the music tracks and copyrighted characters who appear in them? Could it be possible for Gainax to remaster the shorts, change the music and release them on YouTube or another platform with some disclaimer saying it's a parody and thus protected by fair use?

ELO's song for IV will definitely be an issue. But Im not familiar with Japanese copyright laws, can you not use "other characters" without permission? Here in the US you have shows like Simpsons and Family Guy that show tons of copyrighted characters but never(?) get in trouble for it. Probably because its satirical and only for a few seconds (like you said "fair use"). Wouldn't that apply for IV?

Japanese copyright law doesn't have exceptions for fair use or parody.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:07 am Reply with quote
I don't have high hopes for Gainax pulling it off. It's very different anime market. I rather have fans do it verses company that may run into a copyright issue.
Dayraven

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Japanese copyright law doesn't have exceptions for fair use or parody.

Notably, there was that episode of Osomatsu-san that got pulled despite its use of copyrighted characters being unexceptional by US standards.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1