• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fena: Pirate Princess

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I just hope as the series proceeds that Fena can start fighting for herself and not need Yukimaru to rescue her every time that she is in peril. Because otherwise it's going to be undercutting any real feminist themes hard. Still for a Crunchyroll original, it's managed to clear an admittedly low bar and be decent so far.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
I just hope as the series proceeds that Fena can start fighting for herself and not need Yukimaru to rescue her every time that she is in peril.

The preview for episode 04 has her learning to use weapons so this is good. xD
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:19 am Reply with quote
So the first big decision Fena make when finally off on a ship and looking for clue is to... go shopping for clothes... C'mon. Oh, but she needed new cloths instead of the dress, I mean it's not like she spend some time on a friendly island just before... oh right...

She then spend the rest of the episode just being rescued. The princess in "pirate princess" is really the only part that's relevant to her character.

And so did they just return to the island they just escaped from or did the other pirates and the dude just coincidentally happened to be on the same island they went to?

Also, where are they? The architecture look vaguely Spanish so I figured Caribbean, but the ancestor from goblin island come from Japan which is not exactly on the right side of America for that to work.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:34 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Also, where are they? The architecture look vaguely Spanish so I figured Caribbean, but the ancestor from goblin island come from Japan which is not exactly on the right side of America for that to work.

They're going to Germany sometime, so within a submarine's ride there?

Also any place where trading sex for goods is a regular part of business
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:46 am Reply with quote
Fena and twins dynamic is so fun lol. Yeah they're all bad influences, but that's the best part! (If you're willing to deal with being tossed into sea regularly lol). Yukimaru was pretty okay this episode, being both an idiot with outstanding bad luck and a blushy kid, he's still lacking in a bit of chemistry with Fena but he's at least not my least favourite part of the show anymore (knowing that his head hitting is just a general reflex of his and not exclusive to Fena takes the bite out of it too).

I do find it interesting/suspicious how the group wasn't that worried about Fena and the twins being late. That tied with the implications that the priest is in contact with Abel and his own weird behaviour last week just makes me nervous for when the other shoe drops. Shitan especially feels suspicious
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:52 am Reply with quote
"Lost member of the royal family" is kind of super trite (though I guess only very strongly hinted at, not yet confirmed) -- not to mention the chibi blonde maybe-bad-maybe-not guy spewing nonsense into the wind as he watches Fena from afar -- but the execution's still decent, the characters are fun enough, and the art continues to be downright lovely. Enjoyed the latest episode.

Mami-kouga wrote:
(knowing that his head hitting is just a general reflex of his and not exclusive to Fena takes the bite out of it too).

Judging by Fena and the twins' handling when they got back on the submarine, seems like head-bonking is the go-to ninja-samurai-pirate punishment for all crimes & offenses. Shocked

meiam wrote:
So the first big decision Fena make when finally off on a ship and looking for clue is to... go shopping for clothes... C'mon. Oh, but she needed new cloths instead of the dress, I mean it's not like she spend some time on a friendly island just before... oh right...

I also rolled my eyes a bit when she first said she wanted to go clothes-shopping, but it seems pretty reasonable that she'd want to get out of the dress and into something more pirate-savvy. I suppose she could've asked for something at Goblin Island, but she seemed to just be leaping from one new thing to the next there, so seems reasonable it would have slipped her mind.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:35 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

I say it makes sense, it was a dress that she didn't wanted to use, was forced on her body for the night she would sell her body, was the only clothing she had, her only possessing. All others were wearing much more practical clothing.

meiam wrote:

She then spend the rest of the episode just being rescued. The princess in "pirate princess" is really the only part that's relevant to her character.

Shouldn't we stop considering Fena's group "pirates"? They're not. They're just body guards.
And exaggerated as it may be, that group that attacked them felt more like "traditional pirates", a diverse group banded together for refuge and profit.
Dumas1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:25 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

The Spanish colonies in the New World did extend to the Pacific coast. Tangentially related to pirates, English privateer Henry Morgan famously sacked Panama City (not the one in Florida) in 1671 by marching overland from the Atlantic side of the isthmus. The Spanish also colonized the Phillipines and they even had a fortress on Taiwan for some time before the Dutch took over the site: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_San_Domingo . So a (former?) Spanish possession in the Pacific is a good possibility.

On the other hand, O'Malley mentions the free city being controlled by the British along with the American farms, which might point to something closer to the Caribbean. It's not a comparison that seems likely to come up if the city was somewhere near Southeast Asia, for example.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Building on what Dumas1 said, Goblin Island was specifically said to be populated by shipwreck survivors, so they don't necessarily have to be near Japan - the implication is that it was a Japanese ship that was wrecked. What it was doing in the potential Caribbean or off Central America on the Pacific side is up for debate, but that could fall under the "alternate 18th century" heading.

Also, if you're interested in Henry Morgan and his exploits, or just a really good description of Port Royal, Empire of Blue Water by Stephen Talty is a good read.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I think it's reasonable to assume that they're somewhere in the Caribbean. Goblin Island was apparently under German, or maybe more precisely, Brandenburg-Prussian ownership (or lease) at the time of the shipwreck, and they did still have colonies in that area during this time period, including Crab Island and St. Thomas. A bit earlier, in the mid-16th c. (perhaps during the time of the "great grandfathers") they also were out and about establishing a colony in "Little Venice," aka, Venezuela, after Charles V ceded it as collateral for a loan from the Welsers. It doesn't seem a stretch to imagine some small random island given as a favor to the Hautmans somewhere in that neck of the woods ocean. In fact, I wonder if "Hautman" might be a skewed reference to Philipp von Hutten, who was a German explorer in Venezuela.

Quote:
The fact that the kid refers to Fena as “alba regina” (“white queen,” although I think it should technically be “regina alba,” assuming my dyslexia isn't reading the subtitles for me again) feels like more than a throwaway line.

Funny you should say that, as his next line is "And vice versa." I wonder if it might also be a reference to her as a chess piece.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:29 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Funny you should say that, as his next line is "And vice versa." I wonder if it might also be a reference to her as a chess piece.

The chess piece idea seems really solid - everyone seems to be moving her around for their own specific purposes without really telling her what's going on. It feels to me less like she has little-to-no agency and more like she's operating on a game board she's unaware exists.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:31 am Reply with quote
What language is 'alba regina'? Google Translate auto-detects Italian and translates it as 'queen dawn', but that doesn't seem right. EDIT: Oh, maybe Latin?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:58 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
What language is 'alba regina'? Google Translate auto-detects Italian and translates it as 'queen dawn', but that doesn't seem right. EDIT: Oh, maybe Latin?

Yes, Latin as far as I know.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:47 am Reply with quote
I studied Latin at school and university. It means "white queen". A modern English cognate of alba would be albino.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:09 am Reply with quote
Just got around to watching the ep now and all I have to say is I absolutely love Fena and the twin's dynamic together. Also glad to see Yukimaru get more personality aside from Cold Bodyguard Who Bonks People
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 15