• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fena: Pirate Princess

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I think its worth mentioning that the pirates were the only ones to mention El Dorado; that may be what they believe it to be, or what they are told it is, but its not necessarily the truth. I think theres something a little more magical going on here than just gold.

And thanks "MagicPolly" for the English opening, I didn't know it was even a thing! Been a Junna fan since Macross Delta, so always happy to have more of her music!
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:17 am Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:
And thanks "MagicPolly" for the English opening, I didn't know it was even a thing! Been a Junna fan since Macross Delta, so always happy to have more of her music!

What’s pretty neat is that end theme is done by Minori Suzuki who was both the singing and speaking voice for Freyja Wion in Macross Delta.
Duck Du Normandie
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:13 am Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
...has the lyric "Carry on, to unveil of the promised El Dorado". No clue if the jp version has an equivalent line, since all the lyric lists I can find seem to be of the English version....

On JUNNA's YouTube site she has short version video with English subs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ueo5Ez7OraE She does indeed sing about the "promised El Dorado".
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:45 am Reply with quote
For the most part, episode 5 was decent. We get a good idea of what is going on with Fena, likely inheriting memories of her ancestor, if not outright being inhabited. We also get to know what the goal of all this is with El Dorado. I'm sure it will be like other treasure hunt stories where the treasure is a metaphor or there is some sort of reason nobody can take the treasure with them in the end.

What was really hard to get around was that nobody noticed Fena wander off when conversation was devoted to her acting strangely.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

What was really hard to get around was that nobody noticed Fena wander off when conversation was devoted to her acting strangely.

There was not really a "conversation" about this, no one really noticed, only Yukimaru "because he is in love with her" even thought her transformation was rather jarring.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:23 am Reply with quote
It's a blender! They really threw as many things as they could in this story from all over the globe and cultures. Laughing
There's no going back now, it's just anther plot driving story, not character driving. Fena will do nothing besides being captured and rescued and hear people explaining who she "really is" until the end. Because Fena is really "especial", white people with blue eyes are superior with their noble bloodlines, "orientalism", there are "secrets of the jews that can change the world", the japanese connection with their gods as a ladder to their inevitable ascension to the great powers the same, just the usual anime.
At least it became funny.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Fena really has been a very passive lead ever since she met the Goblin Knights, which is funny since she showed a lot of spunk and initiative in the first episode (with her plan to escape her crappy arranged marriage.) But for the past two episodes she's basically just been led around while other characters do all the fighting and spout all the exposition. Even the whole subplot about her wanting to master a weapon hasn't gone anywhere. I want to see more of Episode One Fena, who came up with crazy plans and got by on sheer determination. Maybe she'll stage a daring escape from the ship next week and get to kick some butt on her own. Heck, maybe she'll actually become a pirate (despite the title, halfway through season 1 the only pirates we've met are bad guys.)

Despite these issues, this show is still a fun time. Historical sailing adventures are a pretty rare anime setting, and the animation is absolutely beautiful, especially in this era of increasingly cheap production values.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:22 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

The idea of only poppies blooming where the goblins have been is another mark of the demonization of Asians, because the poppy is specifically associated with opium.

Red poppies are also the remembrance symbol of the dead after World War 1

https://www.history.com/news/world-war-i-poppy-remembrance-symbol-veterans-day

Quote:
"The WWI Origins of the Poppy as a Remembrance Symbol - The Remembrance Day symbolism of the poppy started with a poem written by a World War I brigade surgeon who was struck by the sight of the red flowers growing on a ravaged battlefield."

Other nations soon followed suit in adopting the poppy as their official symbol of remembrance. Today, nearly a century after World War I ended, millions of people in the United Kingdom, Canada, France, Belgium, Australia and New Zealand don the red flowers every November 11 (known as Remembrance Day or Armistice Day) to commemorate the anniversary of the 1918 armistice.

In the United States, the tradition has developed a little differently. Americans don’t typically wear poppies on November 11 (Veterans Day), which honors all living veterans. Instead, they wear the symbolic red flower on Memorial Day—the last Monday in May—to commemorate the sacrifice of so many men and women who have given their lives fighting for their country.

“In Flanders Fields” by John McCrae

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:52 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Red poppies are also the remembrance symbol of the dead after World War 1

This is very true (and I love that poem); I was specifically going for how they would have been used in the 18th (and 19th) centuries. Smile
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:35 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Fena really has been a very passive lead ever since she met the Goblin Knights, which is funny since she showed a lot of spunk and initiative in the first episode (with her plan to escape her crappy arranged marriage.) But for the past two episodes she's basically just been led around while other characters do all the fighting and spout all the exposition. Even the whole subplot about her wanting to master a weapon hasn't gone anywhere. I want to see more of Episode One Fena, who came up with crazy plans and got by on sheer determination. Maybe she'll stage a daring escape from the ship next week and get to kick some butt on her own. Heck, maybe she'll actually become a pirate (despite the title, halfway through season 1 the only pirates we've met are bad guys.)

Despite these issues, this show is still a fun time. Historical sailing adventures are a pretty rare anime setting, and the animation is absolutely beautiful, especially in this era of increasingly cheap production values.

This captures my mood about the show pretty well, too. Fena's passivity is a real drag, and the show's writing is mostly tropes without much depth, but I'm still having fun watching it, and it is still quite lovely.

I also picked up that book you mentioned earlier in the thread, Princess Irene, and have been trying to get into it. Have to admit, it is a bit drier than I was hoping, so far, for a bit of pirate history. Razz
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:16 am Reply with quote
@Wyvern @NeverConvex
Oh noes! I just realized something. Next episode is a battle in the sea... Fena will have her "Akatsuki Yona Moment", right?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:20 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

I also picked up that book you mentioned earlier in the thread, Princess Irene, and have been trying to get into it. Have to admit, it is a bit drier than I was hoping, so far, for a bit of pirate history. Razz

It is a little dry, but I love the descriptions. Smile I have a thing for pirate history (well, maritime history), and a few other good ones are She Captains by Joan Druett, A History of Pirates: Blood and Thunder on the High Seas by Nigel Cawthorne, and if you don't mind old-fashioned writing, The Pirates Own Book, from the 1830s.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:52 am Reply with quote
No Akatsuki no Yona moment, but was it any good? Fena did less than nothing, dear lord, and everyone wants her primarily for her amazing beauty.

There isn't much to say, besides... did everything happened in just a single night?
Distances really don't matter here.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, episode 7 was...not great.

I complained last week about Fena being a passive protagonist, but even that might be giving her too much credit; she's been more of a plot device than a character for the last three weeks. This week she sort of hung around while Abel talked to her about a painting, then she hung around while Grace and her crew got blown up, and then she had a flashback and needed to be rescued, again. How did this character go from "I'm going to escape from captivity single-handed!" to "I want to learn to use a weapon!" to "[Stands there for 20 minutes.]"

Even worse, it looks like the only actual pirates on this show with "pirate" in the title are all dead now, and that feels like a real waste. They were an amusing group with some great designs, but also, crucially, they were the most entertaining characters on the whole show. The Goblin Knights feel too set into standard roles, the bad guys haven't done much so far but spout exposition...meanwhile the Rose Pirates were never boring and had an amusing dynamic (and great outfits.) There's a timeline somewhere with another, better version of this show where Fena joins THEM instead (and so the title finally makes sense.)

Oh well, at least the animation is still pretty, and the Toonami trailer for next week implies some interesting treachery afoot. RIP French Goth pirate girl. I wish I had your earrings.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Throw me into the minority if you wish, but I'm not writing off O'Malley and her crew as dead just yet. I won't be surprised if they do turn out to be killed off for real, but considering the only bodies of the crew we saw floating amongst the wreckage included none of the core eight, I won't be surprised if at least a few of them turn up alive later on either. Their exit did feel rather sudden and anticlimactic to be permanent... Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 15