• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Cruella" The Manga?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:00 am Reply with quote
I can't believe I'm seeing this. It seems that the movie "Cruella's" getting a manga. I don't know why we need this. This seems to be from a string of recent Disney live-action movies that try to make us empathize with villains. First,it was the sinister sorceress Maleficent from the 1959 movie "Sleeping Beauty,"in a movie that tried to refashion her as a feminist icon. Now,it's this creep from the 1961 film "101 Dalmatians."
Let me remind everyone of whom they're trying to make us sympathize with. A woman who wanted to turn a bunch of Dalmatian puppies into fur coats! Yeah. I'm amazed PETA or the ASPCA didn't protest this film. I wouldn't have blamed them if they did. Heck,Disney would try to make Ms. DeVill the main villainess in another movie a decade later with "The Rescuers." She'd later return in a sequel animated film and a couple of live-action versions in the 1990's.

What I don't understand is why. Why would Disney throw a bunch of money at a manga artist attempting to make us sympathize with one of the most diabolical women it's ever created? A woman the two main dogs in the original film rightly feared and called a "devil woman." It makes no sense to me. Why did anyone think that this film starring Emma Stone was even worthy of a manga?
Again,I'm at a loss to understand why they did this. Neither this film or the manga was really needed. It feels like another cash grab and not a very good one. I think I'll skip this manga. There are better ones out there. I hope someone can tell me why they thought this was necessary in the first place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1