• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tropical-Rouge! Precure Episodes 13-24

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I could have sworn it was Manatsu (episode 19 for reference), who gave Elda food cause she didn't want to be "haunted". They do develop a relationship afterwards but that kinda ends after Elda gets rescued by her friends. Another good take away from that episode was that Chongire and Numeri both genuinely cared about Elda's well being that all three of them will probably change sides (or some might die) before the end game of this series.

The only other precures I have seen are Healin Good and Maho. I'm really digging the OST and I think I like all of the characters so far.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I too could have sworn it was Manatsu that's been giving Elda kindness at that haunted mansion, not Laura.

Quote:
This set of episodes also has a few that just don't quite pull off their storylines as well as the others, such as...., and the quiz show of episode twenty-four.

Yeaaaah, this is something of a pattern I've noticed every time Precure has a celebrity guest voice (this one features Satoshi Mukai who's part of a comedy troupe called Panther). The episode becomes the absolute PITS for having a banal or wasted episode storyline, and the guest voice just sounds awkward compared to all the other seasoned voice actors.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Was it Manatsu? I thought Laura was involved somehow...That episode aired around when I lost my dog, so I very may well have gotten it wrong. (I took notes, but I was not functioning as well as I thought I was, I've since learned.)

Anyway, I'm sorry if I got it wrong!
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I hated the most recent episode too. Come on, Toei! You tease that you might explain Asuka's beef with the student council president, but instead you shoehorn in a friggin game show?! Also, said game show should be sued for trying to give children heat stroke.

But yeah, I'm starting to tire of this season too. It seems to have absolutely NO interest in really fleshing out any character that isn't Laura (Not that I hate Laura. I like her well enough). We're halfway through the series, yet we have no idea why Asuka has a beef with Yuriko or why Minori left her literature club previously. I can understand wanting to make a light hearted comedy season to cheer kids up after a pandemic and all, but it seems like TroPri is trying too hard to play it safe. I want to know about Minori and Asuka's backstories, not hear Manatsu shouting her annoying catchphrase over and over again!
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:00 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I can understand wanting to make a light hearted comedy season to cheer kids up after a pandemic and all, but it seems like TroPri is trying too hard to play it safe.

Seems more to me like Precure is comfortable being what it has pretty much always been, a fairly light-hearted show (barring the occasional darker moment) that's more focused on fun episodic adventures than serialized storytelling. Having only a smattering of a character's backstory at this point is absolutely nothing new; if anything, TR is doing a good job slowly fleshing out characters like Asuka and Minori in ways that characters like Rikka or Kanade wish they could have gotten. But otherwise it shouldn't come as a surprise that the more character-focused episodes dealing directly with their main arc aren't coming until the latter half of the season.

I feel like a decent number of people expect Precure to be something that it isn't, and then get disappointed when it doesn't match that expectation. When it's a much more fulfilling experience to take Precure as it is.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I feel like a decent number of people expect Precure to be something that it isn't, and then get disappointed when it doesn't match that expectation. When it's a much more fulfilling experience to take Precure as it is.

I don't mind Precure being a kids show. Each season has its own strengths and weaknesses, and that's okay to me. But I feel like Precure could benefit from changing things up every once in a while, or at the very least, capitalizing on what it's good at rather than trying to rehash the things it isn't good at. For example, I didn't think the recent game show episode contributed anything to the story other than shoehorn in pointless comedy. Smile made an effort to develop its main ensemble very early on even though it was very comedy-centric, Healin Good made great use of its overall themes, and Mahou Tsukai really fleshed out its setting, though at the expense of everything else.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it was definitely Manatsu and not Laura who was kind to Elde.

I really love this season. It's such a joyful anime and always makes me feel better. I disagree about Manatsu being a "bit much," though I see why one might think that. I love Manatsu's spirit and positive energy; it's inspiring to me.

I do agree that Laura's character development is the heart of the series so far, and it's been awesome. I also agree that I would like to see the other Cures take the spotlight, but I have a feeling that things such as Asuka and Yuriko's past will be brought up. It's a long anime, after all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:

Crap. Sorry, everyone. Crying or Very sad
Saeryen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Saeryen wrote:

Crap. Sorry, everyone. Crying or Very sad

Hey, it's okay. I didn't realize you'd lost a pet, and I know how hard that can be. I'm really you lost your dog.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:52 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I don't mind Precure being a kids show. Each season has its own strengths and weaknesses, and that's okay to me. But I feel like Precure could benefit from changing things up every once in a while, or at the very least, capitalizing on what it's good at rather than trying to rehash the things it isn't good at. For example, I didn't think the recent game show episode contributed anything to the story other than shoehorn in pointless comedy. Smile made an effort to develop its main ensemble very early on even though it was very comedy-centric, Healin Good made great use of its overall themes, and Mahou Tsukai really fleshed out its setting, though at the expense of everything else.

You might not enjoy the comedy, but that doesn't make it pointless. Because that assumes a "point" that the show is trying to get to, beyond presenting fun characters in a variety of different situations while conforming to a monster-of-the-week format. Which loops back around to trying to make Precure fit within preconceptions of what you want it to be, rather an accepting that 9 times out of 10 the show is not going to give you that (nor does it need to; there's plenty of other stuff out there if Precure's take is not your cup of tea).
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:33 am Reply with quote
@Princess_Irene It's all good, I still think you wrote a good review of this section of the series.

So I've been debating which Precure season to start next (as I said before, I have only seen Maho and Healin). Any recommendations?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:04 am Reply with quote
Thanks, guys. I really appreciate it.

@Spike Terra
I might suggest Kira Kira PreCure a la Mode - I really like the way that one develops its characters, including the bad guys.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So I've been debating which Precure season to start next (as I said before, I have only seen Maho and Healin). Any recommendations?

I personally recommend Heartcatch and Go Princess. They both do a great job at developing all their characters and presenting compelling stories and conflict. And the former has a lot of Ojamajo Doremi staff behind it, even down to the art style.
chex mix

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:41 am Reply with quote
Overall I'm still having fun with the show, although the quiz episode was abysmal and if I have to hear "Tropica-shine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" one more time I will start hitting my head against the wall.

I'm also burned out on Laura. Let someone else get some shine.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:39 pm Reply with quote
This the first precure series I've been watching in 11 years and I'm enjoying the (so far) light hearted tone of it. Say what you will about Manatsu but I get a kick of seeing her-literally-bouncing off the walls and Laura's snootiness. The other characters are not very impressive and tend to blend into the background, the villains are pretty bland too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1