• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III Part 6 Anime Teases Sherlock Holmes Plot, Writer Mamoru Oshii, October 9 Debut

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:33 am Reply with quote
Also of note is that it broadcasts the same weekend as No Time to Die.
Otaku-sempai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:59 am Reply with quote
So, since Lupin III is the grandson of the original Arsène Lupin, might that mean he's going to face off against a descendant (direct or indirect) of Sherlock Holmes? Alternately, maybe he's going to solve a mystery left behind by Holmes.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:24 am Reply with quote
Otaku-sempai wrote:
So, since Lupin III is the grandson of the original Arsène Lupin, might that mean he's going to face off against a descendant (direct or indirect) of Sherlock Holmes? Alternately, maybe he's going to solve a mystery left behind by Holmes.

In Part 2, there is an episode where Lupin goes up against Sherlock Holmes III, the grandson of the original. So it's established that the original Holmes existed in the Lupin III universe, and he faced the original Lupin, but he's long since dead.

So the new show will either:

* Bring back Holmes III
* Introduce a new Holmes (Holmes IV?)
* Bring the original Holmes to the present day somehow spoiler[like Part 4 did with Leonardo Da Vinci.]
* Ignore the Part 2 episode completely and just retcon in its own version of Holmes.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:32 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
So the new show will either:

* Bring back Holmes III
* Introduce a new Holmes (Holmes IV?)
* Bring the original Holmes to the present day somehow spoiler[like Part 4 did with Leonardo Da Vinci.]
* Ignore the Part 2 episode completely and just retcon in its own version of Holmes.

It'll be weird, no matter what. Especially since Lupin has met Conan Edogawa, who named himself partially after Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, who wrote the Sherlock Holmes stories.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dayraven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In Part 2, there is an episode where Lupin goes up against Sherlock Holmes III, the grandson of the original.

There are two Part 2 episodes with a Sherlock Holmes III, and they don’t particularly match up in design or personality. One of those also has the original Sherlock revealed as being a thief himself.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

Probably this. Lupin the Third has always played fast and loose with its own continuity, often to the point of having zero continuity, so ignoring a few episodes from the 70s is easy enough. I think Part 5 was the only series that attempted some sort of coherent canon with the previous installments, and even that was questionable.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:15 pm Reply with quote
The fact that we're still talking about whether Sherlock Holmes is truly public domain or not shows just how profoundly ****ed copyright law has become. Must be real nice to keep mooching off something your great-great-grandfather wrote.
shabu shabu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Red Jacket Lupin is my favorite, but more Lupin is always good
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:51 am Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
MFrontier wrote:
Lupin vs. Sherlock Holmes? Kind of reminds me of Lupin vs Conan.

I mean his greeat grandfather already dealt with Sherlock Holmes in the 1880s. Sorry, Herlock Sholmes. Seriously, any LUPIN III fan should try reading some original Arsene Lupin stories. Very different in tone and story, but still very fun nonetheless.

I think the new French show, Lupin, gave the original Arsene Lupin stories a boost in popularity, I went to a book store and there were a lot of newly printed Arsene Lupin books with a tag advertising the show as well. Speaking of which, there's a scene in the show in which the protagonist drives a yellow Fiat 500, a good nod to Lupin III, that also reminded me that Lupin III had some problems regarding copyrights in France, I heard Lupin's name was change to Edgar for that reason, and let's not forget the cancelled Japan-France collaboration, Lupin VIII
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2