×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tatsuhisa Suzuki Posts Apology with OLDCODEX's Future Still Uncertain


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
yappers4



Joined: 28 Apr 2011
Posts: 199
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:38 am Reply with quote
Tatsuhisa Suzuki is one of my favorite VAs, and I love the band OLDCODEX. I despise cheating (having been on the receiving end of it a few times in my life), but his comments and actions going forward seems genuine, and I don't want him to entirely to stop what he clearly enjoys. So, I feel very conflicted.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MFrontier



Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 12156
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad he's publicly apologized (I hope he saved a HUGE apology for LiSA in private) and hopefully we can all move forward from here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rob19ny



Joined: 13 Jun 2020
Posts: 1803
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:45 pm Reply with quote
This is just standard procedure. I'm sure he knows there are people who won't believe his apology. He made a conscious decision that affected the lives of others. His wife and his band. I still want him to sing and voice act, but the fake apology doesn't do it for me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BlueOla



Joined: 08 Feb 2016
Posts: 161
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
This is just standard procedure. I'm sure he knows there are people who won't believe his apology. He made a conscious decision that affected the lives of others. His wife and his band. I still want him to sing and voice act, but the fake apology doesn't do it for me.


I hear this a lot whenever there's celebrity drama - "the apology is insincere, it doesn't mean anything, they're just saying it because they want everyone to forget about what they did" - so what the hell do you want him to do? Prostrate himself on the ground in front of a press conference? Wouldn't that be even more "fake"? Never release any apology and continue his career as if nothing ever happened? Wouldn't you criticize him for that as well? Damned if you do, damned if you don't???

I feel like you people don't know what you actually want, you just want to say that everything they do is "not enough, not enough", as if they have to come and beg for your forgiveness in person. Truth is he doesn't have to apologize to us at all we are not entitled to any apology because... this is his private life, it has nothing to do with us??? Sure his wife, bandmates, colleagues, they deserve an apology but he could do one privately. This is his genuine, good faith promise to do better, to not cause any trouble to the people he works with, and you - we all - are welcome to hold him accountable if he doesn't deliver on it. But if he's stating that he realizes how much he messed up, how much damage he caused and how much he regrets it and wants to do better, can't we have the absolute minimum good faith and assume that he means it? Unless of course he does something to prove that it was fake, but why is it so hard to believe that yeah, someone might actually be remorseful when they've done something bad? Just because they're a celebrity? It's adultery, for pete's sake, and y'all are treating it like murder.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ming Yi



Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 213
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:33 am Reply with quote
BlueOla wrote:
I hear this a lot whenever there's celebrity drama - "the apology is insincere, it doesn't mean anything, they're just saying it because they want everyone to forget about what they did" - so what the hell do you want him to do? Prostrate himself on the ground in front of a press conference? Wouldn't that be even more "fake"? Never release any apology and continue his career as if nothing ever happened? Wouldn't you criticize him for that as well? Damned if you do, damned if you don't???

I feel like you people don't know what you actually want, you just want to say that everything they do is "not enough, not enough", as if they have to come and beg for your forgiveness in person. Truth is he doesn't have to apologize to us at all we are not entitled to any apology because... this is his private life, it has nothing to do with us??? Sure his wife, bandmates, colleagues, they deserve an apology but he could do one privately. This is his genuine, good faith promise to do better, to not cause any trouble to the people he works with, and you - we all - are welcome to hold him accountable if he doesn't deliver on it. But if he's stating that he realizes how much he messed up, how much damage he caused and how much he regrets it and wants to do better, can't we have the absolute minimum good faith and assume that he means it? Unless of course he does something to prove that it was fake, but why is it so hard to believe that yeah, someone might actually be remorseful when they've done something bad? Just because they're a celebrity? It's adultery, for pete's sake, and y'all are treating it like murder.


Well, I mean, he has a long history of cheating and has consciously done so multiple times. If people don't feel they can trust or support him fully anymore for any reason, that's their decision and that's valid. Likewise, you are still free to support him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BlueOla



Joined: 08 Feb 2016
Posts: 161
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Ming Yi wrote:

Well, I mean, he has a long history of cheating and has consciously done so multiple times.

Excuse me, now he has "a long history", when we barely even have proof he slept with ONE girl? Damn, it's almost like you can say anything about a guy once you've determined him to be the "villain".

I'm not saying anyone has to support him if they don't want to - I'm saying: don't act like he has to beg for your forgiveness when you've already decided you're not going to forgive him no matter what, that's all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ming Yi



Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 213
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:16 pm Reply with quote
BlueOla wrote:
Excuse me, now he has "a long history", when we barely even have proof he slept with ONE girl? Damn, it's almost like you can say anything about a guy once you've determined him to be the "villain".

I'm not saying anyone has to support him if they don't want to - I'm saying: don't act like he has to beg for your forgiveness when you've already decided you're not going to forgive him no matter what, that's all.


If he didn't cheat, the statement would not be worded this way. Also, the photos that Bunshun took of them? You can say they were taken out of context but the girl he cheated with also posted on Twitter about their affair. She was not only his co-worker but she was also his fan. He pretty much admitted to this one affair that Bunshun caught him in.

No one is saying they want him to beg for forgiveness. I can't say the same for everyone but I can understand why people don't seem to think his apology is genuine. He seemed pretty okay with cheating up until he got caught.

Like I said, you're okay with his actions and/or don't believe in the reports, that's fine and no one is stopping you from continuing to support him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BlueOla



Joined: 08 Feb 2016
Posts: 161
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:38 am Reply with quote
Ming Yi wrote:


If he didn't cheat, the statement would not be worded this way. Also, the photos that Bunshun took of them? You can say they were taken out of context but the girl he cheated with also posted on Twitter about their affair. She was not only his co-worker but she was also his fan.


Well I'm sorry, I think there's a huge difference between "he cheated on his wife once" and implying that he's had several affairs by saying he has "a long history". It's your statement - you can choose how you word it.

Also the fact the girl was a fan and was tweeting about it honestly puts the whole thing into question for me. If she was a fan and she was working with him, obviously she'd want other fans to be jealous and believe that she's closer with him than she actually is - crazy fangirls (or at least crazy enough to publicly announce your affair with a married man because honestly what was she expecting?) are not above lying for attention. The girl is clearly not okay in the head if she thought this was going to end well for her.

Ming Yi wrote:

I can't say the same for everyone but I can understand why people don't seem to think his apology is genuine. He seemed pretty okay with cheating up until he got caught.


"He's only sorry because he got caught" is such a stupid rhetoric - yeah, people don't do bad things with the things with the intention of being caught! That doesn't mean the remorse isn't genuine. Besides, Japan has a huge cheating culture - what do you think all those love hotels are for? Many Japanese men cheat and the vast majority get away with it with their wives never finding out, and therefore never being hurt by it. It sucks, but it's true. Arguably doubly true for celebrities who have many girls always ready to open their legs for them. When it's so normalized, you don't stop to think "wait, maybe this is a bad thing that could hurt me and my wife", you think "well, everyone else gets away with it, why shouldn't I have some fun?" Only once the damage is done do you realize that just because something is common doesn't mean it's okay, that it was stupid to throw your marriage away and shoot your career in the foot for some mediocre extramarital sex. It sucks, but celebrities are flawed humans too and they make big stupid mistakes like the rest of us, I really don't understand why that fact seems to escape human comprehension, and they're either painted as angels who can do no wrong or demons who are evil cheaters and nothing else.

Good people make bad choices sometimes - we all have our sins and regrets, who are we to judge?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 8360
Location: IL
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:49 am Reply with quote
nt

Last edited by Megiddo on Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor


Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Posts: 663
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:10 pm Reply with quote
BlueOla wrote:
Ming Yi wrote:


If he didn't cheat, the statement would not be worded this way. Also, the photos that Bunshun took of them? You can say they were taken out of context but the girl he cheated with also posted on Twitter about their affair. She was not only his co-worker but she was also his fan.


Well I'm sorry, I think there's a huge difference between "he cheated on his wife once" and implying that he's had several affairs by saying he has "a long history". It's your statement - you can choose how you word it.

Also the fact the girl was a fan and was tweeting about it honestly puts the whole thing into question for me. If she was a fan and she was working with him, obviously she'd want other fans to be jealous and believe that she's closer with him than she actually is - crazy fangirls (or at least crazy enough to publicly announce your affair with a married man because honestly what was she expecting?) are not above lying for attention. The girl is clearly not okay in the head if she thought this was going to end well for her.

Ming Yi wrote:

I can't say the same for everyone but I can understand why people don't seem to think his apology is genuine. He seemed pretty okay with cheating up until he got caught.


"He's only sorry because he got caught" is such a stupid rhetoric - yeah, people don't do bad things with the things with the intention of being caught! That doesn't mean the remorse isn't genuine. Besides, Japan has a huge cheating culture - what do you think all those love hotels are for? Many Japanese men cheat and the vast majority get away with it with their wives never finding out, and therefore never being hurt by it. It sucks, but it's true. Arguably doubly true for celebrities who have many girls always ready to open their legs for them. When it's so normalized, you don't stop to think "wait, maybe this is a bad thing that could hurt me and my wife", you think "well, everyone else gets away with it, why shouldn't I have some fun?" Only once the damage is done do you realize that just because something is common doesn't mean it's okay, that it was stupid to throw your marriage away and shoot your career in the foot for some mediocre extramarital sex. It sucks, but celebrities are flawed humans too and they make big stupid mistakes like the rest of us, I really don't understand why that fact seems to escape human comprehension, and they're either painted as angels who can do no wrong or demons who are evil cheaters and nothing else.

Good people make bad choices sometimes - we all have our sins and regrets, who are we to judge?

Sure is fun how you started with “no one accepts genuine apologies anymore” in your first post and are now on “he did nothing wrong. And if he did it’s this girl’s fault.” One of the reasons it’s hard to take these kind of apologies seriously is because of what you’re doing right now. We get it, you obviously really like this dude and want him to be in the right, but downplaying a situation he’s admitted to and casting aspersions on the party who was on the wrong side of a power imbalance isn’t something that comes from understanding or accepting an apology. Those are actions from someone that doesn’t care about the reality of the situation and only the image of the person they like. Which is largely what these public apologies are for. The very people who don’t care about honesty or accountability. “What do you even want?” is a very loaded question coming from that, when all anyone usually wants is the barest floor of accountability rather than simple lip service meant for their fans.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ming Yi



Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 213
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:59 pm Reply with quote
BlueOla wrote:
Well I'm sorry, I think there's a huge difference between "he cheated on his wife once" and implying that he's had several affairs by saying he has "a long history". It's your statement - you can choose how you word it.


He was pretty much noted to be a playboy. I would not be surprised if she wasn't the only one he cheated with.

BlueOla wrote:
Besides, Japan has a huge cheating culture - what do you think all those love hotels are for? Many Japanese men cheat and the vast majority get away with it with their wives never finding out, and therefore never being hurt by it. It sucks, but it's true. Arguably doubly true for celebrities who have many girls always ready to open their legs for them. When it's so normalized, you don't stop to think "wait, maybe this is a bad thing that could hurt me and my wife", you think "well, everyone else gets away with it, why shouldn't I have some fun?" Only once the damage is done do you realize that just because something is common doesn't mean it's okay, that it was stupid to throw your marriage away and shoot your career in the foot for some mediocre extramarital sex. It sucks, but celebrities are flawed humans too and they make big stupid mistakes like the rest of us, I really don't understand why that fact seems to escape human comprehension, and they're either painted as angels who can do no wrong or demons who are evil cheaters and nothing else.

Good people make bad choices sometimes - we all have our sins and regrets, who are we to judge?


Please stop justifying his actions and infantilizing him. You're trying to justify the actions of a man in his late 30s who is able to decide for himself and is fully cognizant of his actions. You don't need me to tell you that he knew what he was doing. He knew it was wrong (especially when it could affect his colleagues because he's a public figure) and still did it anyway. Yeah, Japan has a huge cheating culture, and the fan stated that a lot of voice actors cheat -- but a lot of people also know it's not okay.

As I've previously stated before, no one is stopping you from supporting him. If you're still his fan and think Bunshun is lying, or that you're above the scandal, then more power to you. At the same time, people might not accept his apology because actions speak louder than words, and it's far too early to tell if he will actually hold up to it. Regardless, if people choose not to support him and cannot see past this for whatever personal reason they have, then that's their decision too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yeehaw



Joined: 09 Sep 2018
Posts: 458
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Lisa should dump him, horrible, awful thing to do to someone you alledgedly love but I don't think there's much point in trying to judge if he really feels bad from a translated note. It doesn't matter if he feels bad or not because he already did the bad thing and seems to be taking a huge financial hit from it. And it's not like continuing to consume stuff he's in or listen to his band is hurting anyone. This isn't a JKR situation, you wont be financing his further extramarrital affairs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar


Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 16948
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Keep it civil folks. Had to do some clean up already.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
BlueOla



Joined: 08 Feb 2016
Posts: 161
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Ming Yi wrote:
You're trying to justify the actions of a man in his late 30s who is able to decide for himself and is fully cognizant of his actions.


I'm sorry do you become infallible and stop making mistakes when you hit your late 30s, is that how it works?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ming Yi



Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 213
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:22 am Reply with quote
BlueOla wrote:
Ming Yi wrote:
You're trying to justify the actions of a man in his late 30s who is able to decide for himself and is fully cognizant of his actions.


I'm sorry do you become infallible and stop making mistakes when you hit your late 30s, is that how it works?


In your previous posts, you were using Japan's cheating culture to excuse his actions and going, "well, everyone does it anyway and he didn't know any better" when he's a 37-year-old grown man who knew exactly what he was doing. He knew it was wrong and that it could impact his reputation and relationships but made the conscious decision to do it anyway. Not to mention, he was sleeping with a fan in spite of his marriage when there's a power imbalance between them. This isn't about "making mistakes", this is about realizing there are consequences.

As far as his career is concerned, once he lays low and enough time as passed by, everyone will forget. If Daisuke Namikawa or Nobuhiko Okamoto are anything to go by, no one will mention his scandals anymore unless the discussion of cheating scandals come up, and even then his fans will probably drown out the criticism. Even freakin' Masahiro Higashide, an A-list actor in Japan who had a high-profile scandal where he cheated on Anne Watanabe last year and lost several endorsement deals over it, is back headlining big movies again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group