• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Netflix Lists JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 6: Stone Ocean Anime as Streaming 'Monthly'

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess the situation isn't as dreadful as it seemed. It would still be optimal it Netflix weren't involved in this at all but I'll count my blessings; it's not like I could presh a button and delete Netflix.

The Not so Chosen One wrote:
People here were thinking Netflix was gonna dump 30+ episodes in one batch, no matter how many times other people explained it to them, when Netflix absolutely never have released a batch of more than 13 episodes per season since they started producing their original programming.

Making it two or three batches wouldn't really negate why we dislike their shitty method though.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Posts deleted.

@ The Not so Chosen One & Yuvelir, keep it civil. Any further posts in this thread from either of you that's directed to the other will also be deleted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Green Mean Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I think I'd prefer a weekly release, instead of having the first five episodes, binging them in a day, and then having to wait till next month to watch five more. No thanks.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:06 am Reply with quote
God, you people complain about every tiny inconvenience when it comes to releases, don't you? If it's that much of a bother, cancel your damn subscription and wait for a physical release. There must've been some data tracking in Netflix's reasoning to shift the schedule. That or the Japanese side ordered it.
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:12 am Reply with quote
I don't see why they can't clarify this for people. What does monthly even mean? They're not going to air 1 episode a month, so the wording is just confusing. I don't see the point in not telling us what their plan is. It's just poor communication on their part.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:32 am Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
If it's that much of a bother, cancel your damn subscription and wait for a physical release.

That achieves the opposite of what we want though?
It's clear that data shows that anime viewers don't want their binge model but they'll try to force it nonetheless. This monthly release is some kind of concession, either to the Japanese producers or to the customers they'd know would be very loud about the schedule.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:01 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Deacon Blues wrote:
If it's that much of a bother, cancel your damn subscription and wait for a physical release.

That achieves the opposite of what we want though?
It's clear that data shows that anime viewers don't want their binge model but they'll try to force it nonetheless. This monthly release is some kind of concession, either to the Japanese producers or to the customers they'd know would be very loud about the schedule.

Either way, moaning and groaning about a model they have no control over does nothing anyways. The self-entitled subscribers think they should get everything they want just because they pay a paltry monthly fee for something *eyeroll*
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:07 am Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
I assume this means we'll get 4-5 episodes a month as they air on tv in Japan? Aside from the intial December premiere that is. Seems like it strikes an ok balance between the binging crowd and the weekly crowd, even if it doesn't fully satify either (and nothing will tbf).

the weekly crowd would prefer that Netflix didn't have it at all.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:25 am Reply with quote
Yea, unless these episodes are release on Netflix ahead of the Japanese air dates, this show will be pirated like crazy. Not sure why it's so hard to just put episodes on Netflix the weekly, nearly every other streaming website does this.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:40 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:
MagicPolly wrote:
I assume this means we'll get 4-5 episodes a month as they air on tv in Japan? Aside from the intial December premiere that is. Seems like it strikes an ok balance between the binging crowd and the weekly crowd, even if it doesn't fully satify either (and nothing will tbf).

the weekly crowd would prefer that Netflix didn't have it at all.

I'll admit that I'm part of the weekly crowd, and I would just prefer if it would just be a simulcast since Netflix is now showing that they're open to doing them with Blue Period. I honestly have no issues with Netflix having it, I only have issues with the distribution.

Edit: maybe I should just edit this to just be my personal feelings since I can't speak for everyone
merr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Didn’t The Great Pretender get released in batches like this?

Netflix clearly wants their content dubbed… just not enough to pay for an actual simuldub. They probably have data showing viewership drops off if a show releases in Japanese only, even if a dub comes later.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
God, you people complain about every tiny inconvenience when it comes to releases, don't you? If it's that much of a bother, cancel your damn subscription and wait for a physical release.

What physical release? Netflix jail means that even physicals are jailed.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:

Exactly. As much as I don't like batch drops, I could at least appreciate the multiple subs and dubs that take a lot of time to do, the worst part of Netflix jail was always the physical release part. Or the lack thereof.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:36 am Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:
Deacon Blues wrote:
God, you people complain about every tiny inconvenience when it comes to releases, don't you? If it's that much of a bother, cancel your damn subscription and wait for a physical release.

What jail? There's Blu-ray releases for the series through Right Stuf. You wouldn't see one if there was a Japanese release anyways on account of reverse importation gears, but the physical media still exists eventually.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:09 am Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
Zerreth wrote:
Deacon Blues wrote:

What jail? There's Blu-ray releases for the series through Right Stuf. You wouldn't see one if there was a Japanese release anyways on account of reverse importation gears, but the physical media still exists eventually.

"Eventually" is doing a lot of work there. Of series exclusive to netflix, these all have been out for over 3 years and have yet to receive a physical release in the US:

Devilman Crybaby (2018)
Little Witch Academia TV (2017)
Dragon Pilot: Hisone & Masotan (2018)
A.I.C.O. -Incarnation- (2018)
Aggretsuko ONA (2018)
The Childiren of the Whales (2017)
Hi-Score Girl (2018)
ID-0 (2017)
Ingress the Animation (2018)
Last Hope (2018)
Lost Song (2018)
Sirius the Jaegar (2018)
Sword Gai the Animation (2018)
Ultraman (2018)

Obviously some of those are smaller titles that wouldn't necessarily get physical releases from, say, Crunchyroll (Funi seems to release damn near everything they license these days) but even a couple might have slipped through). But at least a handful of them are solid mid to high level successes, most glaring of all being Crybaby.

So yeah, it's fair to say Netflix licensing a series means the wait for a physical release is a lot more drawn out - if it happens at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2