• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Reconguista in G the Movie I and II

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fourteenthangel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I watched G-Reco way back when the episodes were still being aired and while I like animation and general art direction, admittedly it was a bit incomprehensible even to be as as a Gundam fan who has already consumed older series in the franchise. I wouldn't say it was bad though like many fans to take away from the series back then. Though it is understandable why this series has yet to get a dub while G-Tekketsu has one. It just the far more accessible of the two. Art is all about pressing the right buttons after all and G-Reco was always going to be niche work. Niche work may be bad from a monetary perspective but if a piece of work is geared towards a specific audience then I don't think that's a bad thing at all.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:26 am Reply with quote
Innovation isn’t the goal, I would say, but refinement. The old tropes given a new sheen of paint. Which is fine if you enjoy said tropes. The score is definitely fair given that context.

The fact that it’s more comprehensible gives it credibility right off the bat.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:56 am Reply with quote
Fourteenthangel wrote:
I watched G-Reco way back when the episodes were still being aired and while I like animation and general art direction, admittedly it was a bit incomprehensible even to be as as a Gundam fan who has already consumed older series in the franchise. I wouldn't say it was bad though like many fans to take away from the series back then..

I wonder how easy it is for a new viewer to come in and parse everyone saying stuff like Reconguista is obtuse or confusing. I don't think it illustrates the magnitude of how weird the show was for a Gundam fan/myself.

I think the bottom line, the impression I walked away with after watching several episodes back in the day, was that the show was simply just dull. You can sit down and watch practically any other Gundam show (Tomino or otherwise) and generally have a pretty immediate idea of who the characters are, their motivations, and generally follow and be excited for or anticipating of the various twists and turns ahead.

To this day, I think Char's Counterattack is an amazing freeze-frame in time of both Tomino's work and general anime cinema - I come away with new thoughts every time I watch it. Orphans has some really great characters you want to root for, some very interesting takes on relationships, and the action is fairly constant with minimal cheese.

Reconguista's TV cut had NONE of this, at least none that was immediately apparent back in the day. Can you watch several episodes of a show with mediocre action (one that albeit looks pretty nice), when the characters move around.... and talk a lot.... but none of it really seems to mean anything at all..... until maybe way later? That was Reconguista when I watched it originally.

I'd be interested in seeing a movie cut if it actually functions as a story with characters that have actual goals and motivations this time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1