• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tubi TV Adds 7 Anpanman Films

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Never thought this would be licensed, dubbed, and streaming on Tubi of all places. Very curious to see if this holds any appeal to adults.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Same here. How the hell did they even manage this? Though the dubbing studio in question is mainly run by Spanish speakers, and they mainly dub anime into Spanish and sometimes Portuguese. I'm...not sure if they're trying to expand, or if they were just randomly picked to do English and Spanish dubs for these movies, but as the most recent Shaman King dub can tell you, hiring a non-English company, or people who aren't English speakers, to do English dubbing is not necessarily the best idea. Even the English voice actor list consists of mainly Spanish actors...and some of which were involved in the bad first AICO Incarnation dub.

...Yeah.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:49 am Reply with quote
Battle Cossack wrote:
Wow. Never thought this would be licensed, dubbed, and streaming on Tubi of all places.

Why? Just curious.

Battle Cossack also wrote:
Very curious to see if this holds any appeal to adults.

From what I've observed, the series theme of sacrificing oneself to save others has appeal to older audiences.

FireChick wrote:
I'm...not sure if they're trying to expand, or if they were just randomly picked to do English and Spanish dubs for these movies, but as the most recent Shaman King dub can tell you, hiring a non-English company, or people who aren't English speakers, to do English dubbing is not necessarily the best idea.

I think they'll get better over time, as long as they keep getting work. A good amount of the voice actors for the Anpanman English dub haven't done much dubbing work, so it's best that we all just be patient and supportive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1