• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Establishes 'Anime Creators' Base' at Tokyo Office

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r4737

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:03 am Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:

Ok, clearly you are just not listening to me. I never said they are useless. Its really rude you worship Japanese animators and demonize western animators. Why can't it be ok to like both? As for the second half, yes I do. Because it shows that Japan could pay their employees well and not overwork them, but because of their toxic work culture they refuse to. They are also terrified of any type of change.

So yes, I think animators in Japan should be paid just as well, and its disgusting some fans pretend its a problem that doesn't exist, or they say it's impossible for animators to be paid fairly. Also, I would hardly consider 95% of your average anime as a "masterpiece". Anime can be garbage too.

(Why can't it be ok to like both?)
I do not hate western cartoons, I do not even care about them, just saying that western cartoons are like Japanese animes in terms of quality is disrespectful to anime and hard work of Japanese animators
In the case of Japanese work culture, this is about Japan and the Japanese people. Why do some Americans think they have the right to tell people in other countries what is right and what is wrong? In Japan, hard work is a source of pride for them
Also, I never said that all anime is a masterpiece, but at least in a year, a lot of masterpiece anime is made, unlike the West, which still does not have a single masterpiece cartoon.
Also, if you think Western animators have a good work environment and a good salary, then why haven't they made a quality show like violet evergarden or demon slayer yet?
The best western cartoon right now is Castlevania, which hardly comes close to the quality of ordinary anime (which, of course, was made with the help of a South Korean studio and is not entirely American)
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:12 am Reply with quote
Hud!? I am surprised no one has talked about the elephant in the room. In the middle of as world pandemic due to covid19 that atm has tokyo in a state of emergency until (at least) the end of this month, isn't it a health risk to go work in an enclosed space in the middle of summer (so air conditioning is on and there is little air flow so sars-cov2 can float indifinetely inside).

This at best it an ill advised idea, at worst it is simple propaganda to counter declarations of how Netflix pays the lowest of all anime content streamers (it must be cheaper to pay rent than not pay the lowest they can strongarm for a license).

Looking forward to live coverage of the meetings taking place in there, can be no worse than the HGS original trailer.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:15 am Reply with quote
r4737 wrote:

(Why can't it be ok to like both?)
I do not hate western cartoons, I do not even care about them, just saying that western cartoons are like Japanese animes in terms of quality is disrespectful to anime and hard work of Japanese animators
In the case of Japanese work culture, this is about Japan and the Japanese people. Why do some Americans think they have the right to tell people in other countries what is right and what is wrong? In Japan, hard work is a source of pride for them
Also, I never said that all anime is a masterpiece, but at least in a year, a lot of masterpiece anime is made, unlike the West, which still does not have a single masterpiece cartoon.
Also, if you think Western animators have a good work environment and a good salary, then why haven't they made a quality show like violet evergarden or demon slayer yet?
The best western cartoon right now is Castlevania, which hardly comes close to the quality of ordinary anime (which, of course, was made with the help of a South Korean studio and is not entirely American)

Ah, yes. I need to accept that Japan has a broken system because I am an outsider. This argument is dumb. How dare I criticize something that even animators themselves have criticized. As for the second one, maybe its because western animation is not taken seriously by people like you. Or maybe its because unlike Japan, America does not need to make everything animated due to Hollywood. You do know a big reason why Anime is made is because the Live Action Japanese film industry is lower budget overall, right?

Last edited by RockSplash on Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:16 am Reply with quote
And now there are rumors that Netflix snatched up Komi Can’t Communicate worldwide, and yet as far as I know they had nothing to do with the production or funding. Ugh Mad
r4737

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:42 am Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:

Ah, yes. I need to accept that Japan has a broken system because I am an outsider. This argument is dumb. How dare I criticize something that even animators themselves have criticized. As for the second one, maybe its because western animation is not taken seriously by people like you. Or maybe its because unlike Japan, America does not need to make everything animated due to Hollywood. You do know a big reason why Anime is made is because the Live Action Japanese film industry is lower budget overall, right?

Do you understand what you are saying?
You said that western cartoons have the same quality as anime, and American animators make masterpiece cartoons, and when I say show me these masterpieces, you say that because of Hollywood, cartoon studios cannot make quality western cartoons. As if Japan does not have a film industry and Hollywood movies do not allow people to watch cartoons
How do the United States and other countries watch anime despite Hollywood and their own film industry but not Western cartoons?
Don't you think this is due to the low quality of the cartoons? Why do you blame Hollywood and the movies?
Also in terms of budget, there are big companies like Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney that are willing to spend a lot of money to make cartoons, but why no quality cartoons have been made yet? Do you think Japanese companies pay more then Disney and Amazon Prime for make anime?

Last edited by r4737 on Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:46 am Reply with quote
r4737 wrote:

Do you understand what you are saying?
You said that western cartoons have the same quality as anime, and American animators make masterpiece cartoons, and when I say show me these masterpieces, you say that because of Hollywood, cartoon studios cannot make quality western cartoons. As if Japan does not have a film industry and Hollywood movies do not allow people to watch cartoons
How do the United States and other countries watch anime despite Hollywood and their own film industry but not Western cartoons?
Don't you think this is due to the low quality of the cartoons? Why do you blame Hollywood and the movies?
Also in terms of budget, there are big companies like Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney that are willing to spend a lot of money to make cartoons, but why no quality cartoons have been made yet? Do you think Japanese companies spend more then Disney and Amazon Prime for make anime?

Ok, I seriously think you are the one not getting me. I never said anything about American cartoons being "masterpieces". I'm tired of this, so you do you, and we can move on. Maybe someone else can explain to you, but I have things to do.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:51 am Reply with quote
r4737 wrote:

Cartoons like Castlevania and avatar the last are made by studio mir and this studio is in South Korea

Minor corrections but Castlevania was done by Powerhouse Animation, which is based in Austin, Texas and the original Avatar was done by Nick Animation Studios (which is California/New York)

Studio Mir wasn't founded until 2010 but they have gotten a lot of big projcts though, like Voltron, Dota, Kippo, etc. all being for Netflix
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:02 pm Reply with quote
r4737 wrote:

You do realize just here which specializes in anime-themed news there's already plenty of articles about overwork issues in the animation industry? And I don't remember anyone affected mentioning pride in them.

Yes, hard work is admirable, but if that hard work and overtime escalates to such degree that people are literally dropping on the floor, you bet I reserve the right to voice my opinion on it...
r4737

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

Yes, hard work is admirable, but if that hard work and overtime escalates to such degree that people are literally dropping on the floor, you bet I reserve the right to voice my opinion on it...

I do not agree with the hard work of animators in Japan, but my argument was that at least Netflix should pay more for the hard work of animators.
Kyoto Animation Studio, for example, certainly they work hard too, but at least they pay well
Some people also say that animators have to make quality anime without hard work, which is kind of impossible.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:28 pm Reply with quote
r4737 wrote:
Some people also say that animators have to make quality anime without hard work, which is kind of impossible.

You do realize there's a difference between hard/well done work, and overwork issues detrimental to one's health like excessive work hours. I'm willing to bet the posters you reply to refer solely to the latter of those two.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Please stop making giant walls of quotes, I've had to fix this thread twice because of it
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:16 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
Please stop making giant walls of quotes, I've had to fix this thread twice because of it

Sorry about that. I will make sure to shorten them in the future.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:28 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
r4737 wrote:
So this is where people come together and make PowerPoint

I know I may get hate for this, but due to the overwork and underpay of animators in Japan, I would prefer worse animation in exchange for them not needing to work as hard.
I suppose that's why going way back pay wasn't much of a problem, sure they got paid little per drawing, but when you are drawing really simple designs and they hardly move, it's easy to make a ton of drawings in a day and get a decent wage.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:02 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
but when you are drawing really simple designs and they hardly move, it's easy to make a ton of drawings in a day and get a decent wage.

What are these 'simple designs' that you're talking about? Anpanman? Even in the 1980s and 1990s, many anime characters did have complicated designs and they did move around quite a bit. The typical half hour anime episode in the 1990s had around 250 different backgrounds produced, which means there were many scenes that featured more than a character close-up. I know this because, for many years, I collected a lot of this artwork.

It's unfair to compare a 30+ year old series and that artwork to what is currently being produced. Those artists were limited to the technology at the time and that meant dealing with cel based productions. It's a lot harder to produce special effects when you're limited to acetate.

Even in the 1990s, animators did gripe about the wages they were being paid and how very difficult it was to subsist on these wages. The horror stories I heard from Kazuko Tadano (Sailor Moon R character designer) regarding how Toei treated them during the production of the R movie was enough to make me incredibly disgusted with the studio.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
but when you are drawing really simple designs and they hardly move, it's easy to make a ton of drawings in a day and get a decent wage.

What are these 'simple designs' that you're talking about? Anpanman? Even in the 1980s and 1990s, many anime characters did have complicated designs and they did move around quite a bit. The typical half hour anime episode in the 1990s had around 250 different backgrounds produced, which means there were many scenes that featured more than a character close-up. I know this because, for many years, I collected a lot of this artwork.

It's unfair to compare a 30+ year old series and that artwork to what is currently being produced. Those artists were limited to the technology at the time and that meant dealing with cel based productions. It's a lot harder to produce special effects when you're limited to acetate.

Even in the 1990s, animators did gripe about the wages they were being paid and how very difficult it was to subsist on these wages, even back then. The horror stories I heard from Kazuko Tadano (Sailor Moon R character designer) regarding how Toei treated them during the production of the R movie was enough to make me incredibly disgusted with the studio.

Never forget that Gainax was created for the ouroose of animators sick of being worked with horrible pay. Unfortunately, they became the very thing they were against, to quote a movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4