• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Establishes 'Anime Creators' Base' at Tokyo Office

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
but when you are drawing really simple designs and they hardly move, it's easy to make a ton of drawings in a day and get a decent wage.

What are these 'simple designs' that you're talking about? Anpanman? Even in the 1980s and 1990s, many anime characters did have complicated designs and they did move around quite a bit.
Ok sure, but I'm talking way back, like 1960s.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:48 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Well, even back then I would still debate calling them "simple". Cyborg 009 was really detailed. And lupin is Lupin. Guns, cars, and clothing were all famous for being meticulously researched and recreated. Even speed racer has detail. I won't pretend like these series can rival others, but they still look impressive. Especially compared to western cartoons of the time.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:03 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

I met one of the animators on Jungle Emperor Leo (Kimba the White Lion) and drawing Kimba wasn't a simple design either. He gave a drawing class at Japan Expo USA many years ago and I was there. Definitely involved more than connecting a couple of circles with lines. He also worked on Tomorrow's Joe, which is another older series that involves complicated designs.

The few initial productions really didn't have much to go on. Producing animation on acetate was a new medium for these artists at the time. There weren't artbooks that you could use as reference like there is now. You also couldn't talk to industry veterans to gain their insight for potentional ideas. As is, Osamu Tezuka copied Disney and created a manga version of Disney's Pinnochio in 1952.

http://tezukainenglish.com/wp/?page_id=2557
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:14 pm Reply with quote
r4737 wrote:

(Why can't it be ok to like both?)
I do not hate western cartoons, I do not even care about them, just saying that western cartoons are like Japanese animes in terms of quality is disrespectful to anime and hard work of Japanese animators
In the case of Japanese work culture, this is about Japan and the Japanese people. Why do some Americans think they have the right to tell people in other countries what is right and what is wrong? In Japan, hard work is a source of pride for them
Also, I never said that all anime is a masterpiece, but at least in a year, a lot of masterpiece anime is made, unlike the West, which still does not have a single masterpiece cartoon.
Also, if you think Western animators have a good work environment and a good salary, then why haven't they made a quality show like violet evergarden or demon slayer yet?
The best western cartoon right now is Castlevania, which hardly comes close to the quality of ordinary anime (which, of course, was made with the help of a South Korean studio and is not entirely American)
Something not brought up yet that is a big difference between anime studios and American animation is there is more options for unionized American animation work while anime studios are largely freelance work and there's less opportunities for anime staff to bargain for workers' rights and compensation. The term "masterpiece" is overly bloated and purely subjective but there have been plenty of well respected high quality American animated series produced in recent years like Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, Infinity Train, She-Ra, the Ducktales reboot, and The Owl House to name a few. It's also a misleading correlation and not helpful to animators to argue that a quality production is a sign of a healthy work environment. MAPPA and Madhouse are known for lavish high quality productions but have some of the worst working conditions in the anime industry and are infamously known for their low pay rates. I don't know what the working conditions are like at ufotable, but it should be noted ufotable was charged recently for tax evasion.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Something not brought up yet that is a big difference between anime studios and American animation is there is more options for unionized American animation work while anime studios are largely freelance work and there's less opportunities for anime staff to bargain for workers' rights and compensation. The term "masterpiece" is overly bloated and purely subjective but there have been plenty of well respected high quality American animated series produced in recent years like Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, Infinity Train, She-Ra, the Ducktales reboot, and The Owl House to name a few.

I guess it depends who you're asking because those shows are generally the ones I see cited as the reason why American animation is currently lacking compared to Japan or the old days of American animation from the 90s and 00s and seem to be looked down upon where I look. Most of those are lumped in as the CalArts-style people dislike. The people who miss serious, action-based animation haven't been happy in ages because those kinds of shows are no longer being made outside of Japan. The last one we got was... Young Justice?

As far as Netflix and this studio goes, I have no real opinion on them. Most Netflix original series I've seen have been pretty mediocre, but I'll always judge a show individually rather than through association. I did like Aggretsuko, although given the way Netflix markets their stuff I have no idea if it's an actual Netflix anime or just a series they licensed. Although I would not expect Netflix to have better working conditions than any other studio. I'm pretty sure we've already heard from directors who worked on projects for them that they're no better.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
guess it depends who you're asking because those shows are generally the ones I see cited as the reason why American animation is currently lacking compared to Japan or the old days of American animation from the 90s and 00s and seem to be looked down upon where I look. Most of those are lumped in as the CalArts-style people dislike. The people who miss serious, action-based animation haven't been happy in ages because those kinds of shows are no longer being made outside of Japan. The last one we got was... Young Justice?

As far as Netflix and this studio goes, I have no real opinion on them. Most Netflix original series I've seen have been pretty mediocre, but I'll always judge a show individually rather than through association. I did like Aggretsuko, although given the way Netflix markets their stuff I have no idea if it's an actual Netflix anime or just a series they licensed. Although I would not expect Netflix to have better working conditions than any other studio. I'm pretty sure we've already heard from directors who worked on projects for them that they're no better.

Ok, I just need to say it. The Cal arts style is not real. Its something angry people with nothing better to do in life made up. These are just vastly different art styles. Also, Young justice is old. More recent action shows can be the various DC shows, castlevania, Seis Manos, the dragon prince, among others. Only steven Universe would count towards this "Cal-arts style". She-ra is heavily anime inspired, and inifinity train is its own thing as well. I won't act like these series are better, but I also don't believe that you should judge a show based on art style. Especially when the average Isekai has serious designs, but poor writing. The animation in these shows can still be quite impressive with their "limited" art-style, like Infinity train. Even Japanese animators have worked on these projects. A animator for Trigger worked on a steven Universe episode. Surprised
Longsock

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:59 am Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
Ok, I just need to say it. The Cal arts style is not real. Its something angry people with nothing better to do in life made up. These are just vastly different art styles. Also, Young justice is old. More recent action shows can be the various DC shows, castlevania, Seis Manos, the dragon prince, among others. Only steven Universe would count towards this "Cal-arts style". She-ra is heavily anime inspired, and inifinity train is its own thing as well. I won't act like these series are better, but I also don't believe that you should judge a show based on art style. Especially when the average Isekai has serious designs, but poor writing. The animation in these shows can still be quite impressive with their "limited" art-style, like Infinity train. Even Japanese animators have worked on these projects. A animator for Trigger worked on a steven Universe episode. Surprised

Young Justice Outsiders came out in 2019 it's not that old.. The fourth season, Phantoms, has been scheduled to come out Soon™ on HBO Max. The only other current DC cartoons I know are Harley Quinn which is pure comedy and the upcoming Aquaman one that has one of the ugliest art styles I've ever seen in my life and is also a comedy and looks more in line with the kids shows on television. I don't know how to discussion veered off into American animation but the way current American animation is one of the reasons I got so into anime. I'd much rather watch an average isekai anime over Steven Universe, She-Ra or The Owl House since I'm an adult dude in my 20s and not a little girl so thats just to be expected. I don't like those kinds of shows and those are all that seem to be made anymore.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Young Justice Outsiders came out in 2019 it's not that old.. The fourth season, Phantoms, has been scheduled to come out Soon™ on HBO Max. The only other current DC cartoons I know are Harley Quinn which is pure comedy and the upcoming Aquaman one that has one of the ugliest art styles I've ever seen in my life and is also a comedy and looks more in line with the kids shows on television. I don't know how to discussion veered off into American animation but the way current American animation is one of the reasons I got so into anime. I'd much rather watch an average isekai anime over Steven Universe, She-Ra or The Owl House since I'm an adult dude in my 20s and not a little girl so thats just to be expected. I don't like those kinds of shows and those are all that seem to be made anymore.

There are plenty of people in their 20s who do like those shows. Just saying. I won't lie, I am totally biased. Most Isekai is power fantasy Harem stuff, and I can't stand those types of characters. Not all of it is like that however. Dc has their animated movies. Marvel has been making progress, and even star wars has done current action cartoons aimed at an older audience. I don't mean to be rude, but saying that all cartoons are is for "little girls" really implies you don't even watch what you are complaining about.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:34 am Reply with quote
When did this became a discussion about the quality of Western cartoons and Anime?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:39 am Reply with quote
Netflix has made no bones about their desire to use anime as both a major source of content as well as a source of content for live-action programming. A central hub for creation makes sense.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:54 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
When did this became a discussion about the quality of Western cartoons and Anime?

Yea, time to reel it in folks. This is getting very off topic, and some of you are being rather rude and/or insistent with your opinions. People can have differing opinions. So let's remember that and move back on topic please.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:04 am Reply with quote
On topic I don't see this as a bad thing. I know many are very doom and gloom about Netflix entering the anime foray in a serious way, but I disagree. For starters Netflix getting involved is not really going to change how other studios handle their business. They'll keep on making anime how they see fit. So it's not as if they're taking anything away from other production companies, or from the fans/viewers. Sure most of their titles are hit or miss, but again it's not as if we lost a quality series from another studio simply having Netflix exist in the anime spotlight now.

Hopefully having an office and studio set up in Tokyo might steer them, as a company, into a better appreciation of the hobby. Beyond it simply being a current cash cow for them. I am weary of the area for "developing new technologies" as their CG and actual animation has been one of the larger detractions from many of their shows thus far. Time will tell. This to me at least seems like a step in the right direction if Netflix is going to be a serious player in the anime industry moving forward.
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:20 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
r4737 wrote:

I talked about Netflix because this is the only Netflix to make PowerPoint
If the animators do not work hard, the result will be Western cartoons
That's why I criticize big companies like Netflix for not paying them enough

Ok. I know its an anime site, but please can we stop acting like western cartoons are garbage. Castlevania, the DC stuff, and other cartoons have proven that wrong. I won't act like cartoons are better animated, but I have seen cartoons that can look just as good as some anime. Also, at least these garbage western cartoons have animators that are paid well and don't overwork themselves to death. I hate Netflix not paying as much, but Japan's own studios are no better.

japan's laws doesn't give japanese anime studios enough ways of earning money so they're always in state of closing and which is what made not pay their animators when they had declines of profit so japan must fix this it's the most obstacle which lower the anime industry's potential
RockSplash

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Todd_Harry08 wrote:

japan's laws doesn't give japanese anime studios enough ways of earning money so they're always in state of closing and which is what made not pay their animators when they had declines of profit so japan must fix this it's the most obstacle which lower the anime industry's potential

I have heard when Production IG did Kill Bill's flashback, they were paid way more than the average anime, so that is why the animation is so high quality.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Todd_Harry08 wrote:

Care to give some info because that's the first I've heard of the sorts?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4