• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ippon Takegushi, Santa Mitarashi's Candy Flurry Manga Ends in Shonen Jump

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:27 am Reply with quote
It's unfortunate because I haven't even been touching newer series -because- of how quickly they seem to getting cancelled, which probably doesn't help the situation. Though I doubt page visits on Viz's manga reader makes a difference to WSJ's overall stats.
MangaNeko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:31 am Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
It's unfortunate because I haven't even been touching newer series -because- of how quickly they seem to getting cancelled, which probably doesn't help the situation. Though I doubt page visits on Viz's manga reader makes a difference to WSJ's overall stats.

Page reading does not make a difference. WSJ has a very tried and true method, reader response surveys. All series are contracted for 2 volumes, which is about 18 chapters. Many times 2 - 3 new series begin at the same time, so in 6 - 10 weeks very positive feedback tells the editors and creators if a series will make the cut. Only a creators previous works can give them a slight edge above the rabid new creators thirsty to challenge the status quote of WSJ.

World building has to be done quickly. Think of all the WSJ titles which got an animation contract, did any of them have a weak world construction. Or think in reverse, could you see OP, Naruto, Dragonball, JoJo’s, HxH, Bleach, or Demon Slayer ENDING in 2 volumes? I am not thrilled to lose a title I am on the fence about, but I know WSJ always has new series to challenge us, readers and it is real exciting to see the birth of the next WSJ breakout hit with cool character designs, awesome world building and action packed storylines.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:32 pm Reply with quote
MangaNeko wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:

Page reading does not make a difference. WSJ has a very tried and true method, reader response surveys. All series are contracted for 2 volumes, which is about 18 chapters. Many times 2 - 3 new series begin at the same time, so in 6 - 10 weeks very positive feedback tells the editors and creators if a series will make the cut. Only a creators previous works can give them a slight edge above the rabid new creators thirsty to challenge the status quote of WSJ.

World building has to be done quickly. Think of all the WSJ titles which got an animation contract, did any of them have a weak world construction. Or think in reverse, could you see OP, Naruto, Dragonball, JoJo’s, HxH, Bleach, or Demon Slayer ENDING in 2 volumes? I am not thrilled to lose a title I am on the fence about, but I know WSJ always has new series to challenge us, readers and it is real exciting to see the birth of the next WSJ breakout hit with cool character designs, awesome world building and action packed storylines.

Page views do matter. Shueisha isn’t about to turn down free data on which series are doing well and which aren’t. Services like Viz and Manga Plus even split their subscriber fees based on which ones the user reads. The point of that isn’t just to support the ones people like, but to draw clear lines of which they don’t. It incentivizes completely ignoring a series that someone might otherwise page through because that would take away from supporting the ones they like.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:29 pm Reply with quote
MangaNeko wrote:
World building has to be done quickly. Think of all the WSJ titles which got an animation contract, did any of them have a weak world construction. Or think in reverse, could you see OP, Naruto, Dragonball, JoJo’s, HxH, Bleach, or Demon Slayer ENDING in 2 volumes?

Given how finicky and particular intrests can be?

Yes.

Also for what it’s worth the earlier volumes of Jojo did not have strong world building and the fights could be hit or miss.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:15 pm Reply with quote
MangaNeko wrote:

In two volumes? Yeah, for sure I could. If I had to base One Piece on it's first two volumes alone, I'd likely drop it.

It would be awesome if series could just -be- instead of having to be "the next breakout hit!". But WSJ is a business first and foremost. All those pretty hype words are just a means to an end: money.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:

It would be awesome if series could just -be- instead of having to be "the next breakout hit!". But WSJ is a business first and foremost. All those pretty hype words are just a means to an end: money.

Eh, it's a bit of an overstatement to say a series has to be an immediate, breakout success to survive in JUMP. What's important isn't to become a hit out of the gate, but to show you can capture and cultivate an audience that will come back to your series week after week, reliably. That's what the reader surveys are about.

Plus there are series right now that have managed to stick around in spite of not being immediate successes. Magu-Chan: God of Destruction had a wobbly start, and even now isn't a heavy hitter in terms of volume sales, but earlier this year the lottery for a limited run plush of the main character sold out so hard they immediately had to set up a second one. Similarly, Mission: Yozakura Family had a messy start but has managed to hang around for two full years, which is now mean feat.

As for Candy Flurry, I'm at least a little sad to see it gone, if only because Tsumugi was a fairly fun protagonist and the humor could be spot-on when it wanted to be. But those early chapters are honestly pretty generic and it took a good while for the artist to find their groove with the overall layout of the action. So I'm not surprised it never caught on.
Touma55

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
MangaNeko wrote:

But that is the whole point of Weekly Shonen Jump. If you are bringing your stuff to Jump you gotta get a following fast or you are gone. If you make it you will likely make it big though since there are more eyes on Jump than any other magazine. Basically high risk high reward. If someone wants to try something with a lower risk and lower reward they can try going for something like Weekly Shonen Sunday or Weekly Shonen Magazine. That "Only the best survive" kinda mindset is one of the reasons it is the most popular magazine. Now whether it actually has the best series around is definitely up for debate imo.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:30 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:

Eh, it's a bit of an overstatement to say a series has to be an immediate, breakout success to survive in JUMP. What's important isn't to become a hit out of the gate, but to show you can capture and cultivate an audience that will come back to your series week after week, reliably. That's what the reader surveys are about.

The user I was quoting was the one saying series' have to be a breakout success? I certainly don't think so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2