• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Komi Can't Communicate Anime's Video Previews Theme Songs, Lists Netflix Streaming Globally (U

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:00 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
Guess I'll go for fansubs for this one.

Did you even read the title?
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:02 am Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:
tfwnoymir wrote:
First Blue Period, now Komi-san as well. I guess Netflix jail is a thing of the past now, at the very least there's not much of a delay anymore. So expect a Sony/Netflix duopoly from now on, with a little bit of Sentai, although I wouldn't count on the latter, as they don't give a crap about going international apart from a select few titles.

I have no idea why would you assume so:

Quote:
The announcement noted that Netflix's debut date for the anime overseas will be different from the debut date in Japan.

Plus 8 dubs - a Netflix "standard" for anything they call "anime", even their own, US-made productions - is a LAUGHABLY small number for a service available worldwide. Used to be 10 for a short time, no idea why it was reduced, but the countries that weren't lucky still have to pay as much as others.

You mean Thai and LatAm Spanish? Spanish is categorized as one category and Thai may be added later.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:28 am Reply with quote
Just a few months ago Netflix getting their hands on an anime would have been cause for concern but now it looks like their finally changing their anime release pattern and are beginning to embrace weekly streams! Hopefully this means that Netflix jail will soon become a thing of the past.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:37 am Reply with quote
JonDoe wrote:
Just a few months ago Netflix getting their hands on an anime would have been cause for concern but now it looks like their finally changing their anime release pattern and are beginning to embrace weekly streams! Hopefully this means that Netflix jail will soon become a thing of the past.

Same-week release stream would have been better, Netflix.
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:37 am Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:
I have no idea why would you assume so:

Quote:
The announcement noted that Netflix's debut date for the anime overseas will be different from the debut date in Japan.

Plus 8 dubs - a Netflix "standard" for anything they call "anime", even their own, US-made productions - is a LAUGHABLY small number for a service available worldwide. Used to be 10 for a short time, no idea why it was reduced, but the countries that weren't lucky still have to pay as much as others.

I don't pay much attention to dubs as it's not a priority for me, but I get it why that part sticks out like a sore thumb for some folks. Hopefully they'll get added later. As for the date, I assumed it's not going to be a 3-to-6 months of waiting period and dumping the whole thing as usual but a shorter one when I wrote that post but since then they announced the actual date. While a 2-week-delay is much shorter, this approach still encourages fansubbers as some folks won't be as patient, especially with a big title such as this one, see Love Live in this very season with its 2-day-delay.

ErikaD.D wrote:

Looks like Crunchyroll's Fall anime lineup is already weak and underwhelmed, they lost big anime names like Komi-san, Blue Period, Demon Slayer season 2 and Lupin III part 6.

I wouldn't say they "lost" it because we don't actually know what does the Sony deal is going to entail from now on. I assume all of their titles are going to show up on either platform, with a possible future merge; hopefully not into Funimation - I've heard their video player and quality is godawful - but into Crunchyroll or an entirely new/renamed platform. I'm personally hoping we're going to see more Worldwide outside of Asia (feel sorry for Asian folks about that one) titles from now on.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:41 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
thekingsdinner wrote:

I did. It mentions Netflix so I'm pirating this one (I guess that's a more accurate phrase rather than fansubs).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:50 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
thekingsdinner wrote:

I did. It mentions Netflix so I'm pirating this one (I guess that's a more accurate phrase rather than fansubs).

It doesn't matter if they even stream it weekly?
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:15 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
thekingsdinner wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
thekingsdinner wrote:

It doesn't matter if they even stream it weekly?
It's just that I'm already paying for Crunchyroll, Disney+ and buy Blu-rays every month. I really can't afford any more services and Netflix doesn't have much to offer that interests me anyway.

Sorry if I came over a bit egoistic, I was just kind of disappointed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AtoMan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:27 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
You mean Thai and LatAm Spanish? Spanish is categorized as one category and Thai may be added later.

I meant Polish and Turkish.

Also due to Netflix being a mess we keep getting Seven Deadly Sins Polish dub for further seasons (they just continue the existing dubs, not making new ones for anime)... But the dub is not made public, just shows up on the credits so we know it's being continued and changed studios since then.

tfwnoymir wrote:
I don't pay much attention to dubs as it's not a priority for me, but I get it why that part sticks out like a sore thumb for some folks. Hopefully they'll get added later

They never do that. The amount of languages listed is final and no other ones will be added.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:03 am Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

Also due to Netflix being a mess we keep getting Seven Deadly Sins Polish dub for further seasons (they just continue the existing dubs, not making new ones for anime)... But the dub is not made public, just shows up on the credits so we know it's being continued and changed studios since then.

tfwnoymir wrote:
I don't pay much attention to dubs as it's not a priority for me, but I get it why that part sticks out like a sore thumb for some folks. Hopefully they'll get added later

They never do that. The amount of languages listed is final and no other ones will be added.

Since when was Turkish used as a dub language for Netflix anime?
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:20 am Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

tfwnoymir wrote:

I assume by your post that the situation in more complicated and has more to do with the dubbing studio itself than Netflix suddenly deciding it's not worth paying for Polish dubs anymore. So hopefully the situation is amendable. If not and what you're saying is true about Netflix's approach - that these deals are final - then that's sad to hear. Hopefully they'll change their mind in the future. Personally I'm happy at the very least they're subbing things in my own language, for a country of less than 10 million (and spoken by about 15 million people in the world), even if I prefer subs in English; no other streaming company does that.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:29 am Reply with quote
That sucks. I guess I won’t be getting a Blu Ray release until like 2050 if it even gets one.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:00 am Reply with quote
strawberry-kun wrote:
That sucks. I guess I won’t be getting a Blu Ray release until like 2050 if it even gets one.

Or at least Sentai gets it a year later.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:13 am Reply with quote
At least it seems like Netflix is willing to experiment. I don't know if something like this will be a regular thing or reserved for more anticipated titles, but it at least seems like they've come around to the idea that it doesn't do them a lot of favors to get something like Jojo and then sit on it for months. Personally, the biggest problem I've had with that model has been that it it is very easy for me to forget about a show since I couldn't watch it during its premier season, and by it showed up, my focus had shifted to other things.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:32 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

Or at least Sentai gets it a year later.

Netflix licenses almost never get picked up that quick for Blu Ray release. 2050 was an exaggeration, but it usually takes years and a lot don’t even get picked up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3