• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise Reveals Gundam: The Witch From Mercury, 1st New Gundam TV Anime in 7 Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:29 am Reply with quote
I like the title.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:32 am Reply with quote
I wonder what it'll be about.

Oby wrote:
"Witch of Mercury"? So...can we finally have a female lead in Gundam TV since ever?

It'd be a nice change of pace if that happens.

Diskostrand wrote:
God i hope not

Why not?
rarirurero

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:16 am Reply with quote
Wicca practicing space colonists go off to parts unknown.
Several hundred years later as [insert Earth Federation variant] expands borders to further develop their Dyson swarm they happen upon a coven of mecha wielding witches, with magical mobile suits resembling the Gundams of old.
The show writes itself and I am looking forward to it.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely interested. The title could mean anything - so I'm not going to delude myself into expecting one thing or another. Orphans didn't do it for me in the long run. I'm getting a bit tired of the silent type protagonists (although he was much better than the kid from Gundam 00).
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Please indeed have a female lead as the title suggests. It is beyond time as such barely exist even in the manga and novel EU. The last TV Gundam I full-on liked was 00 S1 so here is hoping. (S2 of 00 falls apart on rewatch.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TexZero

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Given it's an IBO sequel series i doubt we're getting a female protag.

At best the witch can refer to a handful of people most notably being any child Kudelia may have had between the two shows.
Crpt774

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:24 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
Given it's an IBO sequel series i doubt we're getting a female protag

There is nothing linking this to Ibo currently, besides that the Ibo mobile game and a related miniseries were announced at the same time.
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:28 pm Reply with quote
While the title is definitely intriguing, and it'd definitely be nice to have a Gundam series with a female lead...I wouldn't be surprised if The Witch of Mercury is the name of a Gundam-carrying ship.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:04 am Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
Given it's an IBO sequel series i doubt we're getting a female protag.

At best the witch can refer to a handful of people most notably being any child Kudelia may have had between the two shows.

Didn’t the series end without Mikazuki impregnating Kudelia though?

I believe she may have adopted Kudelia’s son which was kind of a weird ass pull but still.
Dayraven

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I believe she may have adopted Kudelia’s son which was kind of a weird ass pull but still.

Atra’s son. Kudelia’s stepson, since according to interviews the two of them are married at the end.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:49 am Reply with quote
^ Thanks for the tidbit.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Mawdryn wrote:
While the title is definitely intriguing, and it'd definitely be nice to have a Gundam series with a female lead...I wouldn't be surprised if The Witch of Mercury is the name of a Gundam-carrying ship.

Or the villain. God knows Gundam sure has a long list of batshit-insane villainesses.

I kind of dread the day when we get a woman protagonist in the show, not because it's a bad idea (it's not) but because you just know they'll only be allowed to pilot a "sexy" Gundam.
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:31 pm Reply with quote
after IBO flopped hard in Asia, they really need to turn it around. But the younger demographic is basically on SEED or some other franchise, so I don't have the best expectations
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:53 am Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
This article confuses me. Gundam Build Divers came out in 2018. Was that not a new series or was it just a continuation of Gundam Build Fighters?

And hell no, no Netflix for this (at least not the premiere)! Toonami already lost JoJo to Netflix. They better not lose Gundam too!

As it is now, the fanchises can be divided in 3 type of series:

- The original series : series with original content (might be manga / novel adaptation), but it's what the franchise did from start: basically the story of a war.
- SD Shows : I don't think I need to explain those very much : it's comedic show with SD design
- Gunpla show : launched in 2006 with the gunpla builder OAV, those show revolve about building gunpla.

When the article talk about the first new Gundam series, it talks about the first category, which is the historic one, and is still the only that matter for many fans. Gunpla series are mostly seen as hit and miss fanservice.

meiam wrote:
Quote:
We are aiming to create a work that even young generations will support.

Oh god, that's what they said when they made AGE.

My first thought when I read the article.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3