• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
From Saint Seiya to CCXP: the Past and Present of Anime Fandom in Brazil

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:31 pm Reply with quote
No worlds will ever be enough to describe the phenomenon that Saint Seiya really was.

I'm having flashbacks from primary school... our teacher was talking with us about the series and the someone started to sing the opening theme. The whole class joined, than the class beside it, and the next... soon the whole school was singing the opening the for no reason. End it ended even part of the neighbor school had joined, the thing was insane. Know how tele novelas were super popular here? The anime aired at the same time as one of the time slots on other channels, this made some parents buy an extra TV just for their kids to watch the anime. Video cassette recorders also had a noticeable increase in sales. And all happened so suddenly... one day we where all crying and still mourning from Sena's death and the World Cup and before we noticed we all went crazy.

John the Dark Lord wrote:

To be specifc, Brazil got four dubbed Super Sentai shows before Power Rangers was created and pretty much replaced them: Google V; Changeman; Flashman and Maskman. As for Kamen Rider, we got Black and RX, plus the americans Masked Rider and Dragon Knight

Juspion (or Jaspion, as we Brazilians call him) was also very popular here. And unlike the others, it's still pretty well known today, due to memes. A parody of the opening (kept in the original Japanese when it aired) it's still famous even today. Jiraiya was also a sucess when it aired here.

Sometimes I regret never getting into tokusatsu, because it was what I used to watch well before watching anime. I remember that I used to watch and like Jiraya and Jaspian, but just that, because I was too small at the time to remember specifics.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Hellsoldier wrote:
Surely, the story behind Brazil's otaku fandom sounds more interesting than what I perceive to be the story behind the fandom in Portugal. I mean, there was Dragon Ball with a Gag Dub that is made fun of to this day, and is even the source of mockery all the way from Portugal to Brazil. There's the wife of a major politician who said that Dragon Ball was turning the youth violent. There were parents complaining about the "short skirts" in Sailor Moon. One channel recently cut a kiss between two woman on Sailor Moon Crystal... I could go on and on and on and on...

Does Portugal get their own dubs like Spain does due to difference between European and Latin American Spanish? I saw some clips of DBZ's Portuguese dub and some voices sounded very weird and kind of funny, was it based on the Japanese version or it was a dubbed from another dub? And as anime the controvesies, in some LatAm countries there were people criticising anime like DB and Pokémon saying it was satanic or something, but despite the majority Catholic population in some countires no one cared, LatAm TV used had very lax standards, I say "used to" because just 2 weeks ago the Argentinean Government ordered Cartoon Network to stop showing DB Super due to a scene with Master Roshi acting perverted and people complaining about it, despite DB Super airing in CN since 2018

Yes, we make our own dubs around here. A lot of shows aired with the Spanish dub (Doraemon, for example) Eventually, some channels started airing anime in Japanese... Well, one channel in particular did at least (SIC Radical, a more Young Adult-oriented channel from the SIC group).

As for Dragon Ball Z, it was a dub made with almost complete disregard for the original dialogue, with Portuguese Culture references, reference to SIC's morning show back in the day, the Fado music genre, and even the motivations of characters was, on occasion completely altered. Some people remember it fondly for how ridiculous it was.

Things got better around here, now that shows aimed at younger people can freely mention LGBT issues, for example. Mention them, since apparently, a lesbian kiss in Sailor Moon Crystal was too much. The Broadcasting Regulator considered the channel's decision valid, despite protests by fans and by Pro-LGBT groups. Regarding violence, we haven't any sort of censorship on that front, fortunately.
Brutannica

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to ANN's editors for running articles like this. I've always been very curious about anime fandoms in other countries, and Latin America in particular has been a big, gaping hole in my knowledge of anime fan culture.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:48 am Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
Good article, although it failed to mention how, over time, Dragon Ball managed to surpass Saint Seiya as the most successful and recognizable anime brand in Brazil. It's not only the franchise most people know and reference these days, but it can also be translated in numbers - to this day, Dragon Ball record manga sales remain unbeatable by a large margin. Its importance in Brazilian pop culture just can't be overlooked.

I mean,Brazil was the first western country to have Super Broly on theaters less than a month after the Japanese premiere.And latin america were also the first western countries to get Battle of Gods and Resurrection F(hell,USA took almost one year and half to finally get battle of Gods).That's a good indication of how much the franchise is beloved in the continent.
Super Broly even homaged the latin fans in those tracks where you hear the characters' names being chanted during the fights(GO BROLY GO GO)
Latin fans also hate Kai for recasting almost every voice(including Goku).The backlash was so huge they had to make sure to get most of the original voices back for Super and the recent movies
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2