• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Saint Seiya: Knights of the Zodiac Film Unveils Cast, Staff

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrsatan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The most important question about this live action Saint Seiya is if Sean Bean is going to die in it?

The character he plays dies very early on in the original manga/anime.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:06 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
...I didn't even know this was a thing.

To be fair, the original news of this kinda flew under everybody as It was announced in December 2016 by former Toei Animation Chairman Kozo Morishita at that year's Comic Con Experience (a major convention in Brazil) but it didn't get officially reported elsewhere until 5 months later.

This was also the event where he announced what turned out to be the Saintia Sho anime & the CG Netflix reboot but those didn't get reported until later on (2 weeks later for Saintia Sho, 8 months later for the reboot).
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Now that Kozo Morishita is retired, I was actually hoping Toei would leave the Saint Seiya franchise alone for a while instead of tarnishing it with increasingly lackluster spin-offs and ill-conceived re-tellings of the Sanctuary arc, but I completely forgot that this stupid live-action movie was still happening. And I have to say the synopsis is even worse than I expected. I almost feel sorry for the actors, but hey, they got paid.
glafrun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:19 pm Reply with quote
This cast screams straight to netflix all over it.
glafrun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Buletot wrote:
post removed

same I thought, I never watched saint seiya.. but to be fair the actual anime characters are pretty white looking lol... even so, this cast seems incredibly bland and trash. At the same time, in this instance I feel many times the anime artist are drawing white looking characters especially in older works and put the prospect of a hollywood movie in a lose-lose situation.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:58 am Reply with quote
glafrun wrote:
same I thought, I never watched saint seiya.. but to be fair the actual anime characters are pretty white looking lol... even so, this cast seems incredibly bland and trash. At the same time, in this instance I feel many times the anime artist are drawing white looking characters especially in older works and put the prospect of a hollywood movie in a lose-lose situation.

The characters in the manga/OG anime don't give the impression that the main characters are "white-looking" though. Going by their official nationality for the main cast, the only character that could get away with being white could be Cygnus Hyoga since he's half-russian IIRC, but the rest are Japanese. Anyway, no matter how much nitpicking I do for this, the movie already looks like trash, and the plot makes this movie seen like another one of the franchise's so many failed spin-off projects.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:05 am Reply with quote
These characters are taken from Greek mythology if I'm not mistaken? How does that work with Sean bean who only talks in his native Sheffield accent.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:10 am Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
glafrun wrote:

The characters in the manga/OG anime don't give the impression that the main characters are "white-looking" though. Going by their official nationality for the main cast, the only character that could get away with being white could be Cygnus Hyoga since he's half-russian IIRC, but the rest are Japanese.

From one mono-ethnic to another
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:12 am Reply with quote
I do not understand the American/English obsession with accents. It's fiction and they are playing ancient Greek/Modern Japanese/whatever characters.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:46 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

They still don't look white in the manga/anime nor by their nationalities.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:58 am Reply with quote
I'm actually quite interested in this thing. As long as it's nothing like the CG show, it could be fun... or at least, funny.

kgw wrote:
I do not understand the American/English obsession with accents. It's fiction and they are playing ancient Greek/Modern Japanese/whatever characters.
This. I really couldn't care less about that stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:18 am Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

They still don't look white in the manga/anime nor by their nationalities.

I don't think the film is based in Japan anymore
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:24 am Reply with quote
Should've gotten the City of God peeps attached to the project. Flying Warriors looks more like Saint Seiya than this. If they could get Percy Jackson and the Titans remake right, then why not Saint Seiya?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:34 am Reply with quote
I still say having the Witcher director and Shang Chi stunt team attached means if nothing else, the fights will be fun. So that’s two positives, another Sean Bean death scene and good fights. Low standards? Maybe, but it beats what some adaptations have given us.

Maybe we’ll also get a funny Honest Trailer out of it. Three things.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:52 am Reply with quote
Well, I hope this turns out more like a Battle Angel Alita or Speed Racer and not a Dragon Ball Evolution, Death Note or Ghost in the Shell.
As an interesting aside, this in not the first Saint Seiya live action project, back in the 90s Bandai tried to make a live-action Saint Seiya show, probably due to the success of Power Rangers, it was going to be called StarStorm, there's only a clip available but it depicts the main Bronze Saints fighting against Cancer Deathmask. Seiya and Hyoga were played by white actors, Shiryu was still asian, Ikki was played by a black actor and Shun was played by a white woman. The armors looked more like the Myth Cloth figures from that time than the manga and anime designs. I wonder what would've happened if that adaptation got made, the anime already aired in Europe at that time but I think it was made before it premiered in Latin America. There isn't a clear reason why it wasn't made but Kurumada allegedly hated it.
It doesn't surprise me that the movie is being produced in China, the anime was pretty popular there as well. Changing the race of Mistumasa Akido feels kinda of weird, I guess they wanted to cast a well known actor like Sean Bean. Some were mentioning the Netflix show, which I didn't know changed most of the characters namesin the U.S., the dub version I saw still retained the Japanese names.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3