• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Reveals Super Mario Bros. Film's Cast, Staff, December 2022 Debut

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:35 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
I really don’t understand why people are against the idea of having Chris Pratt voicing Mario?

Like have they forgotten about Sonic and Detective Pikachu?

Chris Pratt is an open Christian, which some people do not like. That's basically it for why he's called 'the worst Chris'.

Personally I feel the whole cast is awful and I can't see any of these actors voicing the characters. Agree that this is just Celebrity casting pandering like all animated movies do these days. Amazing how all the best voice actors in American animation just so happen to be big Hollywood stars or singers rather than veterans who voiced animation for decades. And yeah, Martinet regulated to a Stan Lee-esque cameo is insulting.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:56 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

Chris Pratt is an open Christian, which some people do not like. That's basically it for why he's called 'the worst Chris'.
Literally no one hates Chris Pratt for being Christian. The issue is he belongs to a church that has a long history of supporting radical political positions and covering up sexual abuse, and in spite of being an "open" Christian, Chris Pratt is very dodgy when questioned about his church's history and positions.
SilvaStreamer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:28 am Reply with quote
Anna Taylor looks like a kid next to Chris Pratt. Why of all people would they choose her to be Princess Peach? Even Charlize Theron or Ashley Tisdale would've been better!
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:41 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
I really don’t understand why people are against the idea of having Chris Pratt voicing Mario?

Like have they forgotten about Sonic and Detective Pikachu?

THANK YOU! Besides, we don't even know how he's gonna sound as Mario. I think we should hold off judgement until we see a trailer or something.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:21 am Reply with quote
Weird Guy wrote:
It could be worse...it could be The Rock with his inflated ego

That’s your bar?

SilvaStreamer wrote:
Anna Taylor looks like a kid next to Chris Pratt. Why of all people would they choose her to be Princess Peach? Even Charlize Theron or Ashley Tisdale would've been better!

You’re really hating on her for being 25 instead of 36 or 46?

MFrontier wrote:
Unnecessary celebrity stunt casting at its finest. I don't know whether to laugh or shake my head.

I don’t see Danny Devito anywhere.
me_barron

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:31 am Reply with quote
Well...it's a very Hollywood cast. If they're going that route, they'll hopefully get Leguizamo to cameo.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:34 am Reply with quote
People were divisive about Heath Ledger playing the Joker and Ben Affleck playing Batman, and their performances turned out stellar, even if the DC Cinematic Universe is a dodgy body of work. Let's just wait to watch the movie for ourselves before making any serious judgements, alright?
BonusStage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:48 am Reply with quote
SilvaStreamer wrote:

It's an animated movie, not a live-action one. Their age and appearance doesn't really matter.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:35 am Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
People were divisive about Heath Ledger playing the Joker and Ben Affleck playing Batman, and their performances turned out stellar, even if the DC Cinematic Universe is a dodgy body of work. Let's just wait to watch the movie for ourselves before making any serious judgements, alright?

Yes Please!
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:50 am Reply with quote
Kind've puzzled by the visceral reactions to this. I don't think I ever really needed a Mario movie (except for the so-bad-it's-hilarious live-action one from the 80s, of course), but I also don't think any of the casting choices are all that bad. They all seem like they have the voices and personalities to pull off being VAs for the characters they were cast as.
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Anna Taylor-Joy will play Princess Peach.

Her name is Anya Taylor-Joy, not Anna Taylor-Joy. This should be corrected in the article.

Last edited by Ming Yi on Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sinsekihokimchiansu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how to react to this news.... Confused

I guess until the trailer is out I'm undecided
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I think I'll stick with the animated segments from The Super Mario Bros. Super Show as my animated Mario of choice.

If cartoon Mario doesn't sound like Captain Lou Albano, I'm not interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:24 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Silver Kirin wrote:
[I]t seems that Pratt as Mario is dividing a lot of people, I don't know why exactly, I've only seen him in the MCU and the Jurassic World movies but he actually did a pretty good job as Emmet in The LEGO Movie (in which Charlie Day played Benny the spaceman) and Barley in Onward.

I'm pretty skeptical about Pratt as Mario, but I'm sure Martinet will be a great mentor for him in a role as massive as this - much like how Roger Craig Smith was supportive of Ben Schwartz as Sonic - another role I was skeptical of when another celebrity became the voice of a video game character. You can tell how Nintendo tried to put its heart and soul into this project to make sure that this movie is - if not good - living up to its full potential. I wish them the best of luck in doing so.

Mentor? lol, no it don't work that way. Chris Pratt's got himself a mansion in LA, Martinet would be lucky to polish Pratt's hubcaps. There will be no passing of the torch, Pratt will just do what he thinks he can do better than Martinet. That's the most likely outcome.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:24 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:
Silver Kirin wrote:
[I]t seems that Pratt as Mario is dividing a lot of people, I don't know why exactly, I've only seen him in the MCU and the Jurassic World movies but he actually did a pretty good job as Emmet in The LEGO Movie (in which Charlie Day played Benny the spaceman) and Barley in Onward.

I'm pretty skeptical about Pratt as Mario, but I'm sure Martinet will be a great mentor for him in a role as massive as this - much like how Roger Craig Smith was supportive of Ben Schwartz as Sonic - another role I was skeptical of when another celebrity became the voice of a video game character. You can tell how Nintendo tried to put its heart and soul into this project to make sure that this movie is - if not good - living up to its full potential. I wish them the best of luck in doing so.

Mentor? lol, no it don't work that way. Chris Pratt's got himself a mansion in LA, Martinet would be lucky to polish Pratt's hubcaps. There will be no passing of the torch, Pratt will just do what he thinks he can do better than Martinet. That's the most likely outcome.

The point I was trying to make exactly. I meant to say that Martinet could give him some advice on how to perfect the role. Pratt doesn’t need to try and copy Martinet, he just needs to capture the essence of the character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3