• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer Anime Unveils New Cast, Songs by LiSA & Aimer, Entertainment District Arc's D

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilvaStreamer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:34 pm Reply with quote
December 5...good lord they really want to keep us waiting just like with AoT SMH
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:54 pm Reply with quote
The big difference between Demon Slayer and the way DB Super did it was DB Super at least remade the whole story from the ground up with new animation and dialog so you were getting new content. This is just going to be the same animation re-cut into a TV format. "New footage" can mean anything from new scenes every episode to just one new scene at the end of the arc like we had with the Re:Zero s1 director's cut.
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The big difference between Demon Slayer and the way DB Super did it was DB Super at least remade the whole story from the ground up with new animation and dialog so you were getting new content. This is just going to be the same animation re-cut into a TV format. "New footage" can mean anything from new scenes every episode to just one new scene at the end of the arc like we had with the Re:Zero s1 director's cut.
The article goes over what new stuff it'll have and its a lot.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:
As someone who rarely ever re-watches what she watches and for SURE would not ever re-watch this series, I can tell you this, the TV version is getting new content and a significant amount at that (More than a single episode, but its all listed in the article) so do YOU really THINK I am ok with this? That those like myself are ok with having their TIME wasted and not being able to see the new content because we find it hard to re-watch stuff taken from us on top of that? I didn't think so. No offense but, there is ALWAYS many sides to every sitch and this isn't just about milking as I have just said. Further more while some could predict they'd do this, most could not, and even those who predicted this was gonna happen don't have the power to predict the future and know for SURE it would happen.

Anyway, hopefully this type of thing (Movie getting made into TV series) stops and doesn't continue, its real annoying...
edit: and this doesn't even take into account how this affects the new arc...

I also hope this trend ends fast, or we're gonna get something like, for example, a Jujutsu Kaisen season 2 where the manga arc adapted for the season is preceded by a TV re-edit of the Jujutsu Kaisen 0 movie (which I think adapts a prequel chapter from the manga, or something).

To be honest, I never saw anything special in the Mugen Train arc that merited being made into a movie instead of another anime season, so being a movie first (and having to wait almost 9 months to come out in other territories so I could watch it), and then being this TV re-edit nobody asked for no matter how many people defend it ("I just have to work so much I haven't had time to watch the movie" , "if you don't like it, then don't watch it and wait until january", "of course it's about money"), just looks like a redundancy at this point.

Last edited by The Not so Chosen One on Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

The article already says that, for instance, the 1st episode is gonna be about Rengoku getting the mission of going to the Mugen Train, which already sounds like a filler episode to me.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:26 pm Reply with quote
The one benefit I can see for this is now the Mugen Train arc is more likely to air on Toonami.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:28 pm Reply with quote
While I totally understand all the discourse about Mugen Train getting readapted to TV format, I can't say that I share that sentiment. Having watched Demon Slayer through Toonami, I was personally hoping that it would get a TV version for those who are too lazy to watch the movie - believe me, someone out there thinks making a franchise movie a strictly canon affair is a major deterrent - and even though I saw the movie as a precautionary move in the event that this sort of thing didn't happen, I'm glad the casual audience who won't bother to seek Demon Slayer out on their own will get a shot to experience the Mugen Train arc without having to go to any extra effort.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Not surprising they'd make a tv version. Not really a big deal though, it's not like those 6 recut episodes would have turned in to 6 new episodes if they didn't do that. I imagine the time and money invested is far less in this case. If they didn't do this, then the season would probably just be 6 episodes less.
Eivion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I just saw this news 10 minutes into watching the movie on Funimation. This is kind of hilarious to me right now. Guess I can what another week or two.

I don't dislike this move since its not always easy catching anime movies. Honestly, I wasn't especially happy with the movie having the next bit of content in the first place. I'd rather be able to just keep watching a series opposed to having to search for movies between seasons.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:
I'd rather be able to just keep watching a series opposed to having to search for movies between seasons.

THAT is the main reason why I hate the concept of adapting manga arcs into movies when there's already an anime TV show before it.

The other is that, when Japan does a movie, I have to wait like 6-8 months for the movie to come to my country so I can watch it.
Matros

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

70 new cuts over 6 episodes isn't a lot at all. The first episode is the only saving grace for those who already watched the movie.

Last edited by Matros on Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:22 am Reply with quote
Matros wrote:
Villain-chan wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

70 new cuts over 6 episodes isn't a lot at all. The first episode is the only saving grace for those who already watched the movie.
combined with a whole new ep yes it is a lot
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:25 am Reply with quote
Considering how long it takes till I can actually buy a copy of the movie, they are shooting themselves in the foot a bit (unless you live in Japan). Movie was released when and I can't pick up a copy of the movie till sometime around December of this year? Now that I know this will be in the anime with more stuff in it...I probably won't pick up the movie.

Other than that, I don't really care about them rehashing the movie with added stuff. The more the merrier for me.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:14 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The one benefit I can see for this is now the Mugen Train arc is more likely to air on Toonami.

Pretty much. No hiccups and if nothing else happens, Toonami can air it.
Matros

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:39 am Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:
Matros wrote:
Villain-chan wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

combined with a whole new ep yes it is a lot

70 cuts equates to a few mins at most. If you consider that a lot, then be my guest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4