• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Show Posts Opening Credits

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't really feel like I got enough of a feel for this live-action adaptation based on the credits. All I can really say is that some things work a lot better in animation than they do in live-action.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Leviathonlx1 wrote:
Makes me think they chose something controversial for her story.

I don't see how it could be any more controversial than what they already did with Gren.

I think they're just putting off dealing with Ed until they find out the show is a success or not. Make it a problem for Season 2 to deal with, if they get one.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:08 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Production Staff: "We don't want to just remake the show because everyone has already seen that."

Opening: "Look forward to us remaking all your favorite episodes!"

Yup! Are they doing new material or remaking episodes? Not that I mind seeing a new version of Mushroom Samba, but I don’t think Pierrot would work. I always think of that episode as an homage to Batman the Animated Series.

I saw a theory on Twitter that Ed might be an AI/computer in this version, and the more they release series teasers without Ed (while hinting that Ed will be in the show) the more I think that might be right.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:27 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Agent355"]
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Yup! Are they doing new material or remaking episodes?

Pretty sure I've seen the director say that the series will have some new content, so it won't just be a recreation.

Quote:
I saw a theory on Twitter that Ed might be an AI/computer in this version, and the more they release series teasers without Ed (while hinting that Ed will be in the show) the more I think that might be right.

That's interesting and, frankly, quite plausible.

As for the opener, I found it to be rather campy. But the original series was rather campy at times, so I don't see that as a problem or a misrepresentation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:30 pm Reply with quote
It does seem to lack a certain degree of "snap" to some of the footage and timing but I am not sure if that is just that you can't quiet pull that off as well in Live Action as you can in animation. Do wonder if they should have done some tweaking to the the footage to make things "pop" a bit more? Like speed up and slow down at the appropriate times? I don't have a problem with the costumes like some people have though I actually rather like Faye's slightly toned down outfit.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Akezura wrote:
Let's be honest: had they done their own thing, people would have attacked it for being unfaithful. They knew this, so they just 1:1 remade the original....so now people are attacking it for being too similar.

idk whether or not this series will suck but theres a very small chance the fandom will like it even if it doesn't

You know the saying, "Once bitten, twice shy?" The first big Hollywood adaptation of a popular anime was legendary for how bad it was, and Netflix's first bite at the apple (pardon the pun) in Death Note was lambasted for just about everything except Willem Dafoe's turn as Ryuk. At this point, fans are conditioned to accept the absolute worst, which is why the massive influx of adaptations is being met with such hostility.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Yup! Are they doing new material or remaking episodes?

Pretty sure I've seen the director say that the series will have some new content, so it won't just be a recreation.

I took that to mean that it would be *mostly* new content, at least for the episodic episodes, but it looks like they adapted episodes like Mushroom Samba and Pierrot closely.

[quote=“Key”]
Quote:

That's interesting and, frankly, quite plausible.

It would be a shame. They hired a non-binary actor to play Gren, which is an interesting choice, because Gren’s character seemed to be a cis man who was upset that the side effects of an experimental drug changed his body. Ed was a fun, interesting character who could be interpreted as non-binary (definitely gender fluid) in the original series. Ed could also be interpreted as neurodiverse. Most of all, Ed brought a lot of joy and humor to the series.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

You know the saying, "Once bitten, twice shy?" The first big Hollywood adaptation of a popular anime was legendary for how bad it was, and Netflix's first bite at the apple (pardon the pun) in Death Note was lambasted for just about everything except Willem Dafoe's turn as Ryuk. At this point, fans are conditioned to accept the absolute worst, which is why the massive influx of adaptations is being met with such hostility.

Speaking of sayings, how about damned if you do and damned if you don't. There's quite a difference between healthy skepticism, and downright hostility and ridiculous expectations. Especially when that portion of the fan base can't even make up their minds on what they want. If it's too loosey goosey it's not faithful enough. If they try to be faithful that's a problem too. That's not simply skepticism anymore, that's just a 1 way street and hypocrisy. While I may not agree with many of the choices made in the LA adaptations thus far (and they should have a greater understanding of the material before making the adaptations), if that's how a lot of the fanbase is going to react do you really blame the hollywood execs for trying to cater to a more mass market crowd? "No matter what we do they'll still complain, so let's just focus on the wider appeal and those who will see the movie."

There's also the idea of PATIENCE which I know today's fans by in large don't have. It's the "now now now" era. Streams now. Results now. We want it now! Hell, if a series has a 1 or 2 week delay now people lose their shit. My point being look at how many mediocre to downright bad superhero movies we've had. Just from the 80's and 90's let alone from 2000 on. How long was it until Marvel found a formula that works and get the movies right (for the most part)? Hell, DC can't even do it reliably with the formula on paper right in front of them. So it would be natural for western anime adaptations to have a learning curve before they get the formula down. Personally I think there has been a lot of progress and they are getting better. These OP credits alone are better than most of DB Evolution in it's entirety. Which granted, not a big hurdle to clear. The point remains though it is progress. It's also harder to get that formula down when the fans of the material keep changing it on them (back to the debate on too faithful vs not faithful enough). Even more so when the same fans by in large ignore the vast swath of horrible and failed adaptations from Japan itself.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was pretty good. I was impressed that they kept all the Japanese writing throughout the opening rather than translate it to English. They're definitely showing a deep respect for the original which for me is a good sign.

Also, I thought it was really neat getting to see small glimpses from the anime like Pierrot, Brain Scratch, and Cowboy Funk. I never would have expected to see anything about Brain Scratch (one of my personal favorites) in a live action rendition so even that little glimpse was nice.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I thought it was pretty good. I was impressed that they kept all the Japanese writing throughout the opening rather than translate it to English. They're definitely showing a deep respect for the original which for me is a good sign.

Also, I thought it was really neat getting to see small glimpses from the anime like Pierrot, Brain Scratch, and Cowboy Funk. I never would have expected to see anything about Brain Scratch (one of my personal favorites) in a live action rendition so even that little glimpse was nice.

It gets crazier. Go back it the original opening. The text(which is about the Jazz movement in the 50s) is all in English. This is repeated with the logo. In the original, the cowboy bebop is in small text while the Japanese translation is larger. In live action, it is reversed. I would love to say its a reference to how Bebop was Japanese people inspired by Western film and this time it has been reversed, but it probably just looked better.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:31 pm Reply with quote
What bugs me is that very fast looking 40+fps above camera work.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:

Speaking of sayings, how about damned if you do and damned if you don't. There's quite a difference between healthy skepticism, and downright hostility and ridiculous expectations. Especially when that portion of the fan base can't even make up their minds on what they want. If it's too loosey goosey it's not faithful enough. If they try to be faithful that's a problem too. That's not simply skepticism anymore, that's just a 1 way street and hypocrisy. While I may not agree with many of the choices made in the LA adaptations thus far (and they should have a greater understanding of the material before making the adaptations), if that's how a lot of the fanbase is going to react do you really blame the hollywood execs for trying to cater to a more mass market crowd? "No matter what we do they'll still complain, so let's just focus on the wider appeal and those who will see the movie."

There's also the idea of PATIENCE which I know today's fans by in large don't have. It's the "now now now" era. Streams now. Results now. We want it now! Hell, if a series has a 1 or 2 week delay now people lose their shit. My point being look at how many mediocre to downright bad superhero movies we've had. Just from the 80's and 90's let alone from 2000 on. How long was it until Marvel found a formula that works and get the movies right (for the most part)? Hell, DC can't even do it reliably with the formula on paper right in front of them. So it would be natural for western anime adaptations to have a learning curve before they get the formula down. Personally I think there has been a lot of progress and they are getting better. These OP credits alone are better than most of DB Evolution in it's entirety. Which granted, not a big hurdle to clear. The point remains though it is progress. It's also harder to get that formula down when the fans of the material keep changing it on them (back to the debate on too faithful vs not faithful enough). Even more so when the same fans by in large ignore the vast swath of horrible and failed adaptations from Japan itself.

You're not wrong. There's definitely an inherent hostility that goes beyond "a terrible movie was made in 2009 and that will inform all adaptations in this medium now and forever". Especially, since, like you said, if every genre stopped after just one bad example of it, we would never have seen a lot of popular films. The Dark Knight Trilogy never gets made if Batman and Robin just had everyone go "we can't do this justice, let's just give up."
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:10 am Reply with quote
Just wish they would have shown Ed, but other than that, its okay visually for a live-action. Interesting what new content they bring.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:24 am Reply with quote
I noticed they've set this an extra 100 years in the future from the anime. I suppose 2071 seems too close now for any of this to be even remotely believable by then.

Oh gods, if they're doing "Brain Scratch," there could be a slew of new Gina Szanboti's and Marshall Banana's popping up across the internet. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Soul_Punisher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:14 am Reply with quote
They spoiled quite a lot in the opening I guess we won't get that epic BANG! Ending let alone anything decent apart from EIN.

Ah well if you wanna watch a better adaptation watch Firefly a much better show than whatever this is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6