• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Aria the Animation a Hidden Gem?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:55 am Reply with quote
Is the anime still enjoyable if you don't like cute girls? I've been meaning to watch it for a while but I keep getting the impression that they're the source of iyashikei and I wouldn't like it because of that.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:52 am Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
Is the anime still enjoyable if you don't like cute girls? I've been meaning to watch it for a while but I keep getting the impression that they're the source of iyashikei and I wouldn't like it because of that.

For iyashikei that isn’t full of cute girls, I highly recommend Natsume’s Book of Friends. MC is a high school boy and it’s not as “moe” as some other shows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
MagicPolly wrote:

For iyashikei that isn’t full of cute girls, I highly recommend Natsume’s Book of Friends. MC is a high school boy and it’s not as “moe” as some other shows.

I've actually watched the first three seasons a while ago! I need to watch more, I was really enjoying it.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:36 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
Saeryen wrote:
MagicPolly wrote:

I've actually watched the first three seasons a while ago! I need to watch more, I was really enjoying it.

You definitely should! The later seasons are just as heartwarming if not more so. NatsuYuu is my personal favorite anime, in fact.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind seeing others' perspective of the show, or watch them nitpick minor details. But these reviewers lost me at their cynicism.

MagicPolly wrote:

Aria is a masterclass iyashikei, so absolutely. Akari, Aika and Alice are more quirky than cute, IMHO. Their mentors are definitely more on the cool side. I doubt you'll find them to be as moé as what you're used to seeing.
michizure

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
[expletive] Lampchop hand puppet ass feline.

Well said, sir, even if I doubt one in a hundred readers here could pick Lambchop out of a lineup.

I'm a great fan of this show, and even more so of the manga. It also holds a special place for the funniest unintentional multi-lingual gaffe I've run across. I originally saw this show as a bad bootleg -- my Friendly Local Anime Rental Store was less than entirely ethical about their sources, as it turned out. While Akari is rowing down the Grand Canal, the subtitles kept referring to "305," 305." I finally realized that they were talking about Piazza San Marco -- "san maru go" -- "three zero five," in Japanese. Classic.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
The Manga is one of the most beautifully drawn and most relaxing one I have read.

It works better than Anime IMHO since you can read it at your own phase and admire the beauty of the scenarios.

I very much agree with this. It's night and day, the gorgeous manga art vs the awkward 2000s digipaint. I only ever watched the first season of the anime, so I'm sure the style of the anime must have improved eventually, but taking it at your own pace is much more enjoyable.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Reminder that Right Stuf is doing a drive to do a reprinting of the Aria the Masterpiece manga if they get 900 orders per volume by October 13th. They are 75% of the way there! https://www.rightstufanime.com/post/aria-the-masterpiece-reprinting
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:47 am Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
Reminder that Right Stuf is doing a drive to do a reprinting of the Aria the Masterpiece manga if they get 900 orders per volume by October 13th. They are 75% of the way there! https://www.rightstufanime.com/post/aria-the-masterpiece-reprinting

What's the quality like of the Masterpiece editions? Oversized pages, glossy paper, hardcover? Or more like the cheaper omnibus editions floating around?
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:06 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:

What's the quality like of the Masterpiece editions? Oversized pages, glossy paper, hardcover? Or more like the cheaper omnibus editions floating around?

I don't know the quality not owning any of the editions. I do know that this is a reprinting of the run Tokyopop published like back in 2018 and that these are omnibus volumes. I do know that they are larger than a normal manga volume based on amazon reviews of the Masterpiece printing.
saihamaru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:14 am Reply with quote
definitely one of my top pick anime to just sit back and watch while eating lunch or dinner, or in the middle of night where i had nothing to do and not sleepy enough to just lie down in bed, all without any regard on which episode i watch
just as nice as flying witch, yuru camp and other more recent iyashikei anime even if it's almost 2 decades old

it's not a good one to watch in marathon though, the comfy atmosphere is making people sleepy Very Happy

Last edited by saihamaru on Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total
astider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:56 pm Reply with quote
cchigu wrote:
One of the best shows, but only the Origination makes it so beautiful, aside from the Origination it is a weaker Iyashikei than Natsume Yuujinchou, Barakamon, Non Non Biyori, and other A tier Iyashikei. But holy damn how good the second half of the Origination is![/i]

I'd say that all the seasons and OVA are there to 'prepared' us all we need to fully experience the beauty of the Origination. As we watch through all the episodes, bit by bit, we get to know characters, their personalities, and, of course, their developments as a person.

I think what makes this series so great is the combination of a well-researched original source (for the settings of Venice), the way it was directed (scenes, locations, colors, and music).

I want to praise more about its music and soundtrack but I don't know how to describe it. It just great. Laughing
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to take it so slowly when watching Aria that I actually took almost a full decade to watch all of it... shame on me, because I loved it all the way through.

And a reminder that Akari and Aika show up as-is in Amanchu. Voices, catchphrases and all.

TJ_Kat wrote:
Don't get me wrong, it IS a beautiful show, but I also think you need to be in the right head space to really enjoy it. 50+ episodes where nothing actually happens was a bit much for me. Maybe if I'd watched it 6 months later/earlier I would have gotten more out of it.

Nothing actually happens but in a really good way!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2