• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2021 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:36 pm Reply with quote
The Viz Yashahime trailer seems to be region-blocked in Europe, as far as I could test at least. It's only viewable when I connect from NA via my vpn.

The crunchyroll trailer on YT seems to be world-wide, however doesn't have English subs.

Here's one source though which has the official trailer world-wide AND with English subs;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5PsYW7nLv8 (KanimeS Official channel)
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Towa yells really loud, and brings Setsuna back to life,

If only they did some sort of trade thing where Towa gave her life in exchange for Setsuna then that could have, ironically, breathed new life in the show. Towa is so boring, I don't understand why the show insist on having her as main protagonist.
dandon223

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Anime : 86

So is it safe to assume that people from now Federation staged a coup and killed Emperor and his family but somehow the now 'Empress' (who was aslo called that by this one enemy in season one) survived and ended up with the now president of this Federation (who was some kind of official for lateEmpire), who in turn probably lost his old family either to Legion or Emperor and is now coping with it by trying to adopt both her and our main characters?

Nice
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:04 pm Reply with quote
The schedule: https://myanimelist.net/anime/season
This season is very interesting so let's get to it after I finish off last season´s late arrival. I stopped with Kaizoku Oujo after ep 2 but those were ok. 6?/10 I won´t go on and expect that I already saw the best the show had to offer. Middle-of-the-road stuff like this is what I expected when Crunchyroll Originals were announced and not the absolute wasteland that came.

Blade Runner: Black Lotus The CG miniseries can´t look like Black Out 2022 for one basic reason. Black Out was bathed in money due to being part of the promo campaign for BR 2049 which turned out to be one of the biggest bombs of all time. I liked the admittedly random trailer just fine and the directors and studio are well chosen for the IP. The question is if a story worth telling will be told as the writer is still unannounced. The new comics by Titan Comics fully failed in that regard so let´s see what Japan has to offer.

Blue Period will easily be the show of the season. The anime looks a bit different from the manga and the VAs are doing different performances than I expected but they fit. The acting doesn´t sound like an anime if that makes sense and is quite naturalistic. The transgender girl that gets Yatora into art is one of the like 5 fully rounded and believable LGBT+ characters in all of anime and the clear secondary lead but she won´t appear much after the high school arc. That arc should last for most to all of the anime. Prepare for a noticeably different show if we ever get S2. 8.5/10

Bright: Samurai Soul I am not necessarily expecting anything but the CG-ish anime spin-off is so wild that I have to try it out. The original film was a perfectly fine direct-to-video "adaptation" of Shadow Run if you ask me. Nothing special but way over-hated. Poor David Ayer. #ReleaseTheAyerCut

Heike Monogatari´s pilot was very competent but also boring and I don´t remember a single thing from ep 2 so this is where we part. Watch Ghibli´s mega-flop Kaguya-hime no Monogatari instead. Someone has to after all. 6/10

Lupin III: Part 6 Part 5 was well-produced bollocks but a new team is doing this one so we´ll see how the latest iteration turns out. I don´t know if him fighting Sherlock Holmes is a good setup for an ongoing story. Sounds like a much better one-and-done movie. This isn´t the first time a take on Homes was used in the IP of course.

Ousama Ranking I can´t say that I like this quirky children’s manga but it’s kind of interesting that WIT decided to adapt it. If something this off the rails niche can be adapted then who knows what else can?

Platinum End I like the last 2 collaborations of the Jump dream team as much as the next guy but Nr 3 falls apart hard after about 2 volumes. I quit the manga after what ended up becoming the start of act 2 but returned for the last volume. It is one of the worst endings I ever saw. Offensively bad but there is no way to talk about it without spoilers. The female lead also is the worst one yet so have fun with her. I wonder why Tsugumi Ohba has proven incapable of writing women. The assigned studio lastly sucks and the 14 vol manga will be speed though in only 24 eps (maybe a blessing in disguise) so prepare for one of the most hated "high profile" anime in quite some time after the story gets going for real. The seemingly aborted Death Note by Netflix is better. Much better.

Star Wars: Visions aired all 9 of its eps on September 22. We´ll see what this anthology will lead to down the line outside of the tie-in novel but I’ll eat a brick if The 9th Jedi (ep 5) doesn´t become a full show. T0-B1 (ep 6) needs to be pointed out for how astonishing it looked. Science SARU put most big-budget animated films to shame with how fluid and emotive all of this looked. That team needs to win a technical award for their short. I was lastly kinda shocked that the bunny girl ep (8) was one of the grittier entries. 8/10

Saihate no Paladin I am still not fully sure what to think about the source material (I read the manga adaptation of the source LN) and the anime´s studio was cause to worry but so far so good. The near nonexistent issekai element should have never been part of the story. Much better fantasy manga exist but good fantasy anime got rare nowadays. A good enough one is good enough. 7/10

Let's clean up the home media & streaming movie latecomers from last season first. Evangelion: 3.0+1.01 is pointless and tedious but is a marginal improvement on the train wreck 3rd entry. No more Evangelion. 5/10 Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop is also mediocre from both a writing and direction standpoint. So it’s a true Netflix Anime. Lol. 5/10

Now to the movies from this season. I don´t understand the point of the summary film Koukaku Kidoutai: SAC_2045 - Jizoku Kanou Sensou but look forward to S2. Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2205: Aratanaru Tabidachi - Zenshou: Take Off will finally release and Uchuu no Hou: Erohim-hen (part 3 of ?) will likely turn out to be the most insane animated film of the year. No one makes science-fantasy like Happy Science. Not even Scientology.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:53 pm Reply with quote
dandon223 wrote:
Anime : 86

So is it safe to assume that people from now Federation staged a coup and killed Emperor and his family but somehow the now 'Empress' (who was aslo called that by this one enemy in season one) survived and ended up with the now president of this Federation (who was some kind of official for lateEmpire), who in turn probably lost his old family either to Legion or Emperor and is now coping with it by trying to adopt both her and our main characters?

Nice

That's mostly what episode 12 is implying, but you're forgetting one key detail: Ernst's stated belief that inflicting cold practicalities on children would truly be humankind's downfall. That Frederica is not a replacement for whomever he's lost is further reinforced by how he makes a point that she's not his daughter despite wanting the 86s to call him "father." The implication seems to be more that looking after her is a duty that he doesn't feel he can safely trust to anyone who doesn't share his viewpoint.

And while I agree with Nicholas that the meat of the episode is on the 86 side, the importance of what's happening on Lena's side shouldn't be dismissed. The source novels really short-changed that part of the story, and already there are signs that what's transpiring in the Republic is going to get more attention in the anime. I consider that a plus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, it's true, Yashahime season 1 had 24 episodes.

I can remember everything relevant to watch season 2 but all of it fits in 3 episodes at worst.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:38 pm Reply with quote
PriMagi airs tonight! I hope it gets a preview on here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HuuskerDu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:04 pm Reply with quote
The Heike Story looks great and seems to be a compelling story. I was really confused, however, about the identity of the two bald guys. I had to do some research to straighten them out.

Here is my take on them, which I admit is grossly over-simplified and probably not entirely accurate:

The Tale of the Heike (c. 1300) is an epic Japanese poem about a battle between two bald guys for control of Japan. The first bald guy (the one with the bushy eyebrows) is Taira no Kiyomori, the retired (not really) head of the Taira clan, the most powerful clan in Japan. The Taira through intermarriage and the insertion of their members into the imperial government are seen as a threat by the second bald guy (no eyebrows), the retired (not really) Emperor of Japan, Go-Shirakawa. Go-Shirakawa plots with the Taira clan's enemies to eradicate it. Kiyomori learns of the plot and counters it, but his general arrogance and his mistreatment of the Buddhists in particular ultimately brings his downfall and that of the Taira.
ab2143

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Not really familiar with the 1980 series but I did have a blast watching the first episode of Muteking. It's my kind of weird. Just hope the humour doesn't become tiresome

Quote:
There's a weird bit where DJ, also known as DJ AKA DJ, implies he may be doing more than just dancing with Muteki's grandma. Which hey, good for them I guess, but kind of a weird thing to say in front of said grandson, y'know?

Quote:
Oh, and DJ may be Sarah's boyfriend/lover. Huh.

yeah, I was like ??? why on earth would you say such a thing to the grandson? lmao
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:22 pm Reply with quote
@HuuskerDu - Thanks, that's a much better summary than I found elsewhere.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Viz: WELCOME TO ANN, SPONSORED BY YASHAHIME!

ANN: Yashahime is terrible. Yashahime blighted my crops. Yashahime caused the Cuban missile crisis. Yashahime kidnapped my dog and trained it to hate me.

Viz:...Welp, at least no one can accuse you guys of selling out your journalistic integrity.

spoiler[Yashahime is actually fine, y'all are just too nostalgic for those four weeks in 2003 when Inuyasha was good.]
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:56 pm Reply with quote
This... is not a direction I like 86 going. Everyone's alive, the 86 are calling Lena "Queen," and we're shifting the entire focus over to another country that frankly I have no interest in.

My interest in the series was always with the 86 and the series' portrayal of racism and ethnic cleansing. But from my understanding the novels shift almost entirely to (Former) Spearhead and their life in Giad and Lena and the republic only get tiny bits of development until "A Thing" happens...

I realize that this episode is probably supposed to feel jarring and out of place to reflect the new reality of the protagonists, but it definitely feels like a tacked on sequel to an already finished story. And Lena's new position as "Queen" gives me an uncomfortable feeling that the series might dip into a White Saviour complex that it did such a good job of shooting down in Season 1.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Viz: WELCOME TO ANN, SPONSORED BY YASHAHIME!

ANN: Yashahime is terrible. Yashahime blighted my crops. Yashahime caused the Cuban missile crisis. Yashahime kidnapped my dog and trained it to hate me.

Viz:...Welp, at least no one can accuse you guys of selling out your journalistic integrity.

spoiler[Yashahime is actually fine, y'all are just too nostalgic for those four weeks in 2003 when Inuyasha was good.]

I have no nostalgia for Inuyasha, never watched the anime and can barely remember my time with the manga. Yashahime is vacuous trash on both a structural and content level. And if your only recourse to criticism is "well Inuyasha was never good in the first place!", that's a pretty damning indictment of Yashahime.
09jcg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
This... is not a direction I like 86 going. Everyone's alive, the 86 are calling Lena "Queen," and we're shifting the entire focus over to another country that frankly I have no interest in.
So the queen thing is a play on words. Lena (pronunced reina in japanese) is also spanish for queen, so she earned the nickname "Bloody Reina", or the Bloodstained Queen cause of her viciousness in battle. I don't think this will be explained yet though. I also think it's a nickname she shouldn't have earned yet at this point in time based on the books but they may have switched it up a bit. All that Lena stuff is anime original and actual does a decent job plugging in some holes from the novel.

Quote:
My interest in the series was always with the 86 and the series' portrayal of racism and ethnic cleansing. But from my understanding the novels shift almost entirely to (Former) Spearhead and their life in Giad and Lena and the republic only get tiny bits of development until "A Thing" happens...
That's not an accurate depiction of where the novels go. Location spoilers: spoiler[ I've read up until novel 8 and only the 2nd and 3rd novel take place in Giad ]

Quote:
I realize that this episode is probably supposed to feel jarring and out of place to reflect the new reality of the protagonists, but it definitely feels like a tacked on sequel to an already finished story. And Lena's new position as "Queen" gives me an uncomfortable feeling that the series might dip into a
The best way to view the series is to take the first season as a prologue. It told it's story but the world expands greatly from here on out.

Quote:
White Saviour complex that it did such a good job of shooting down in Season 1.
I don't know if the show will get adapted that far, but this is a thing that's explored in Volume 7

EDIT: Corrected the reina part. Regina is latin for queen, which evolved into the spanish Reina which is where the word play comes in.

Last edited by 09jcg on Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zzshcl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:58 pm Reply with quote
*sponsored by Yashahime

*Give them 2 stars

Why do they even bother to sponsor you guys lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 17