• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
An Unexpected Problem With Kickstarter

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
You could always create an account just to use for that particular Kickstarter, then delete the account after that Kickstarter has ended.

That becomes a bit tricky depending on how they handle finalize shipping info. Many use backerkit and such to help finalize shipping addresses, add-ons, etc. The whole process is still linked to your KS account though as a reference or if there's an issue. Realistically once you back a project you shouldn't delete the KS account until you have the product in hand. Which takes months or longer depending on when the estimated fulfillment is scheduled for.

Now if you're using the account to make a true and simple donation without backing a project, then you could probably delete the account after the campaign ends and the funds are removed from whatever payment method you linked to your profile.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Well,I did it. Taking everything into consideration,I felt I had no other choice than to get an account. I did it a few minutes ago and I just donated to the Kickstarter campaign. I just felt I had no other alternative open. I simply had no choice. I hope things get better soon.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:15 am Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:
That becomes a bit tricky depending on how they handle finalize shipping info. Many use backerkit and such to help finalize shipping addresses, add-ons, etc. The whole process is still linked to your KS account though as a reference or if there's an issue. Realistically once you back a project you shouldn't delete the KS account until you have the product in hand. Which takes months or longer depending on when the estimated fulfillment is.

I should have been clearer, but what you said about waiting until you have the actual product in hand is what I meant, sorry about that.
aldonkak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:07 am Reply with quote
hi

Otherwise, how are campaign organisers going to receive contributions from their supporters? People could just "pledge" anything they wanted if they didn't demand a correct form of payment with an account, but it wouldn't be guaranteed to the people. I could commit a million dollars on the spur of the moment to help a project reach its goal, but they'd only get $10 and be screwed.

Last edited by aldonkak on Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:59 am Reply with quote
Well,thanks for clearing that up,Beltane70. I don't think Redbeard 101 would have been too angry with you. As for you,aldonkak,thanks for responding to this. It's appreciated and I like it a lot. For me,I'd done it two times previously and without much trouble. It kinda shocked me when they went with this newer version. It just felt like to me,I had no choice but to do it their way. I was much happier with the old version,in which I didn't have to get a Kickstarter account.
If I'm being honest,I still wish they had something like it for people who are reluctant to get accounts because they're barely going to use it anyway. I hope you understand where I'm coming from,aldonkak.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Kickstarter needs to track where money comes from as an anti-laundering measure; otherwise people could anonymously donate illicitly obtained funds and withdraw "clean" money.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:00 am Reply with quote
Well,Piglet the Grate,I kinda understand where you're coming from about this thing. While I'm not a money launderer,I just feel that I feel personally that I did something I didn't really feel the need to do. If you read my previous things,I'd donated to two previous Kickstarter projects without having to do this. I thought I could be able to do it again and was shocked when I couldn't. I wasn't up to anything illegal. Just stunned that I couldn't do what I was able to do previously. That's where I was coming from. I hope I cleared things up for you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2