• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kingdom Hearts' Sora Joins Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Game as Final New Character

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Sakurai is a damn mad lad. I cannot imagine the legal nightmare that is Sora getting into Smash Bros. Like I want to know the amount of money that it took to pull this off.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
At least all DLC characters have appeard in games available on Switch, except Kazuya weirdly enough (P5 has P5 Strikers and Banjo-Kazooie will be available in the N64 app).

There have been at least 3 different Tekken games on at least 3 different Nintendo platforms. Which is at least where the continuity lies.

- Tekken Advance (Kazuya wasn’t in this one).
- Tekken 3D
- Tekken TT2

And as some guest characters have demonstrated you don’t need have a current game on a current Nintendo platform to be included on the Smash Roster which is I know how Snake got into Brawl despite not having a game on any Nintendo platforms at the time.

Also Joker was in Persona Q2 for the 3DS.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:47 pm Reply with quote
They finally did it! What a way to close out the DLC.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:20 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
There have been at least 3 different Tekken games on at least 3 different Nintendo platforms. Which is at least where the continuity lies.
- Tekken Advance (Kazuya wasn’t in this one).
- Tekken 3D
- Tekken TT2
And as some guest characters have demonstrated you don’t need have a current game on a current Nintendo platform to be included on the Smash Roster which is I know how Snake got into Brawl despite not having a game on any Nintendo platforms at the time.
Also Joker was in Persona Q2 for the 3DS.

I'm aware that there were some Tekken games on Nintendo platforms before, I'm just saying that there isn't currently a Tekken game on Switch. Joker has P5 Strikers, Hero has DQ XI S and III, Banjo-Kazooie will be added to the N64 app, Terry appears many games on the Switch Arcade Archives, Minecraft already sold 2 million copies on Switch, Final Fantasy VII is available for download, and even before Sora's reveal a KH rhythm game was announced. As for Snake, it's true that he doesn't have a Switch game, but previous to his appearance in Brawl he was on MGS: The Twin Snakes on GameCube, also Ghost Babel on the GBC and the original Metal Gear and Snake's Revenge were released on the NES.
FunkyDude88

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I never thought it would happen. I was sure Disney copyright was too strict. Nice that it did, though. Seems fitting the last fighter is a character from a game about different worlds crossing over.
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:16 am Reply with quote
FunkyDude88 wrote:
I never thought it would happen. I was sure Disney copyright was too strict. Nice that it did, though. Seems fitting the last fighter is a character from a game about different worlds crossing over.

It seems Disney's copyright was too strict for Sora to make it into the previous Smash game at least.

I'm honestly curious how long the negotiation took, and what Disney's requirements where on how things could be portrayed. Clearly one of the concessions made was having Donald and Goofy scrubbed from Sora's stained glass in the dive to the heart (presumably because using their likness even in a static background image would cost a lot more and/or bring on even more restrictions).
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm absolutely overjoyed at this, but I wish it pulled more from KH2. Perhaps KH1 is the more iconic entry in Japan, but I'd still have liked some post-KH1 music. I can only assume rights prevented it, as I don't think there's any other DLC character from a multi-entry series that didn't get tracks from multiple games.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:

I'm aware that there were some Tekken games on Nintendo platforms before, I'm just saying that there isn't currently a Tekken game on Switch

I know , I was pointing out given the way guest characters work in fighting games
there doesn’t need to be an immediately existing video game (or media property) if at all for these characters to be featured in these titles.

Silver Kirin wrote:

it's true that he doesn't have a Switch game, but previous to his appearance in Brawl he was on MGS: The Twin Snakes on GameCube, also Ghost Babel on the GBC and the original Metal Gear and Snake's Revenge were released on the NES.

All of which came out years before his inclusion in Brawl.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2