• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Anime Film's Trailer Reveals New Characters, Animation Style

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Neat to see them hearkening back to Red Ribbon Army. Also love seeing Dende and Pa growing up. Kind of hoping we see Gohan as Great Saiyaman again.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:44 am Reply with quote
Seeing Toriyama´s art style from like the mid-00s till now in CG is interesting. Broly is also confirmed. Unsurprisingly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
a1anne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:45 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:

I can't help but compare it to Broly which looked spectacular. Even that one used CGI quite a bit, but it actually looked pretty good. Super Hero feels like quite a step back to me.

You say this but i just finished catching up DB, watched Broly yesterday and yes, the first part of the fight is quite spectacular. Then CGI came in and it was cheap. And then they put the fight over a Windows XP standby screen and it was completely ridiculous I was laughing for the rest of the movie.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the CG...will take some getting used to.

Seems like this is going for a more straightforward Superhero story.
Melicans

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:31 pm Reply with quote
The trailer really sank my hopes. Broly looked fantastic, but this looked like a cutscene from Xenoverse. It is really cool to see Pan aged up and training though.
Mr. slicer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:30 am Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
tintor2 wrote:
I don't get why Toriyama is obsessed with Bulma. She is almost the Mokuba from Dragon Ball. At least Piccolo seems to finally do something important after how the previous three films treated him

Bulma isn't like Mokuba, she is very important in the series. She created the Dragon Radar, created a Time Machine, She the first friend of Goku

Unless there are talking about a different Mokuba I agree that Bulma is far more important to her respective series than he was.
Gilarack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:51 am Reply with quote
This is the price we had to pay for DBZ Super Broly
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:58 am Reply with quote
What the fudge did i just watch in the trailer?! Why in the hell would you ruin DB with cgi? Honestly....
Chris Handsome

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:15 am Reply with quote
Why is this s movie? Should be a rpg video game. Make it a follow up to Kakarott, but focused on the new generation
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:22 am Reply with quote
The CG style makes it look more like I'm watching a trailer for a new Dragon Ball video game instead of a movie (and the animation can't compare with TMS' Lupin III The First). Not too impressed, sorry.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:46 pm Reply with quote
The whole vibe of this trailer feels off. I cant help but laugh when the little kid walks out of the shadows and turns his head. It keeps reminding me of something. South Park is at the top of my head. They spelled "Boo" on the screen. English version will probably change it to Buu. lol
Stelman257

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:20 am Reply with quote
a1anne wrote:
thekingsdinner wrote:

I can't help but compare it to Broly which looked spectacular. Even that one used CGI quite a bit, but it actually looked pretty good. Super Hero feels like quite a step back to me.

You say this but i just finished catching up DB, watched Broly yesterday and yes, the first part of the fight is quite spectacular. Then CGI came in and it was cheap.

Ye the Broly movie had incredible 2D animation but the CGI was just as awful as it usually is. Which is unfortunate because for some reason they decided to go all in on it when Super Saiyan Blue showed up in the film. At least the last part of the fight is all 2D animation but that awkward middle bit definitely sticks out.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:37 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
The CG style makes it look more like I'm watching a trailer for a new Dragon Ball video game instead of a movie (and the animation can't compare with TMS' Lupin III The First). Not too impressed, sorry.

I thought the same thing. I've played a lot of Dragon Ball games over the years, so I think that helps explain why it didn't look as off as I might have expected. CGI versions of these characters are something I'm used to seeing. That said, it still has the effect of looking janky when CGI mimics 2D. Lupin made it work because it did the whole thing in 3D, instead of trying to also look hand drawn.
otastorian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:

You said it before I could. After the Lupin III The First, it's hard not to roll my eyes at CG that looks like this. Plus, the recent burn of Getter Robo Arc makes it hard for me to want to pitch my tent in the "it's fine, it's just a preview" camp. Plus PLUS, the CG in Broly didn't look that great.

It's annoying because there definitely are people at Toei who can make good CG. The PreCure series generally has really good looking CG.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:38 pm Reply with quote
The CGI looks better than I expected it to be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3