• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Girl, the Shovel, and the Evil Eye GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Man, i could really do without the "joining the adventurer's guild" section that every first volume of every isekai series has. Skeleton Isekai, Wortenia Wars, even Undead Adventurer (he already was an adventurer! THE BOOK MAKES HIM JOIN AGAIN), countless others- they all devote a huge chunk of the first volume to them filling out the paperwork to join the exact same guild with the exact same rules every single time.

I suspect that, at least for modern isekai novels, they do this because it was in Mushoku Tensei, and what's funny about that is that in that series, him joining the guild was such a minor part of a larger plan that almost no time was spent on it.

This particular novel doesn't sound too bad, and at least it sounds inoffensive, if not that distinguishable from the isekai pile. Might check it out once my reading queue clears up a bit.
RenimLS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I know characters like Loulier are common enough, but I definitely like her positivity in the face of her own circumstances and the strength she shows in the face of cruelty done to her. Probably from will be in volume 2 of the GN: spoiler[It actually made me tear up a bit during the scene when Tsuguto finds her after Danaroot was done with her. She hears Tsugoto's footsteps coming up to the boulder she's hiding behind. Thinking the footsteps are Danaroot's, and despite being bloody, beaten, and scared, she still screams out that she won't tell him anything and that she won't allow him to bully Tusgoto.].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1