• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Unveils Shenmue Anime Series' First Look Video, Art

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:50 am Reply with quote
I've long heard that Shenmue had a great story... I jumped in at Shenmue 3 and found the writing (translation) and voice acting to be exceptionally atrocious. So if it's really good, an anime might be a good way to deliver that narrative. I certainly can't imagine it being any worse.

5ough I do have to wonder about what form it might take. A Kung-fu action series? Or a more hum-drum slice of life series? The latter could be really interesting, if done well--with the martial arts action and revenge drama serving a secondary role.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:53 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
I've long heard that Shenmue had a great story... I jumped in at Shenmue 3 and found the writing (translation) and voice acting to be exceptionally atrocious. So if it's really good, an anime might be a good way to deliver that narrative. I certainly can't imagine it being any worse.

5ough I do have to wonder about what form it might take. A Kung-fu action series? Or a more hum-drum slice of life series? The latter could be really interesting, if done well--with the martial arts action and revenge drama serving a secondary role.

Honestly, 1 and 2 don't have the best translation(2 especially) but the translated wriitng is above average for Japanese games in the mid 90s. 3 however seems like it is still on that level. What was above average in the 90s is now barely passable in the age of proper translations and superlative dubbing. Though I have heard Shenmue still was not the best written story even in Japanese.
tsog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:47 pm Reply with quote
paulchaested wrote:

Did you like Oddtaxi, an AOTY contender?

I don't think Odd Taxi is a Crunchyroll Original though.

Of all their Originals I've seen so far only In/Spectre was passable. I haven't seen Fena or Tonikawa yet but the rest I haven't watched yet (Noblesse, Ex-ARM, the Spider one, HGS, basically all the most recent ones) I haven't heard many good things about them.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

Problem with this though is the slice of life stuff was secondary to the Mystery/Action stuff in the games and would be seen blatantly as filler.....which yes the games do have annoyingly enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2