• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Originals Animated Shows High Guardian Spice, FreakAngels Reveal New Trailers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zen119

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Whether High Guardian Spice deserved the negativity/backlash it got, that promotional trailer they put out years ago was a fine example of how not to promote your show. Glad the show will be aired so that people could judge whether it’s good or not.
FunkyDude88

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Looks like an Owl House rip off with a bit of She-Ra Princesses of Power. Why is this airing on an anime streaming service?
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:01 pm Reply with quote
FunkyDude88 wrote:
Looks like an Owl House rip off with a bit of She-Ra Princesses of Power. Why is this airing on an anime streaming service?

I saw Raye post on their Twitter once that when they tried to shop it around to platforms, Crunchyroll was the only one that bothered to pick it up, so basically, they didn't really have much of a choice in the matter. I could be wrong, though.
Saiphaz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:10 pm Reply with quote
#Neothegreenland wrote:
Saeryen wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Whatever HGS winds up being, I'm glad for the staff that worked on it that it's finally seeing the light of day after far too long. The massive amount of unwarranted butthurt the project generated was extremely gross.

I agree. I'm sad to say that I've seen comments and even YouTube videos where people called the creators mean names. No one has to watch it or even like the idea, but saying such hurtful things is uncalled for. It's not like CR has stopped streaming male-oriented stuff, far from it, in fact. One more show with female leads meant to appeal to women isn't gonna hurt anyone.

nothing triggers weebs well enough like an american production that doesn't fit their anime style being advertised as anime

Nothing triggers food enthusiasts like a product that doesn't look or taste like food being advertised as such either. It's a matter of presentation.

Just call it a cartoon and nobody would get pissed off, because that's what it is. Call it anime and you're just inviting comparisons to LWA, Endro! and that one series with the Leviathan girl, among others I might have missed out there. Anime has no shortage of shows about girls being brave, witty and entertaining, yet the first trailer, the one that only showcased the authors praising their own insight, tried to pass it off as it being something revolutionary, which might be the case for western cartoons (ignoring Korra, the Powerpuff Girls, Winx Club, Totally Spies, etc, etc), but it's definitely not the case for anime. Even worse if you take the angle of "school of heroes" setting as a selling point, because it's so overused even the Simpsons mocked it ages ago.

What's the point they're trying to make here anyways? That not only Japan can produce anime? Because China and Korea made it years ago.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I think it’s worth remembering that Crunchyroll is in a very different place now as a member of Sony’s anime offerings than they were when this series was first commissioned. I don’t think Sony expects their anime departments to make in-house stuff while back then it was probably part of their strategy for overall growth.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I know people are saying that the show is copying Little Witch Academia but High Guardian Spice started as a webcomic around the same time the first LWA short premiered, still, in the comic the main character looked a lot like Madoka from Madora Magica, but it seems Raye grew up watching shows like Rayearth so I can see a lot how anime, in particular the Magical Girl genre, influenced in his style.
I'll have to wait until the show airs to form my opinion, but I would say that I find it hard that CR thinks this show fits in their platform, while there're some anime inspired elements it still looks like a cartoon in the style of Steven Universe or The Owl House, and while there're a lot of people who are both fans of anime and cartoons I don't CR is the right place for the show.
While I don't know anybody from the English cast I assume this will get dubbed in other languages as well, I'm curious to hear the Neutral Spanish cast, so far all CR dubs in that region had been good with the exception of Tokyo Revengers (the main characters sound great, but there a lot of amateurs in the supporting cast)
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:41 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
FunkyDude88 wrote:

I saw Raye post on their Twitter once that when they tried to shop it around to platforms, Crunchyroll was the only one that bothered to pick it up, so basically, they didn't really have much of a choice in the matter. I could be wrong, though.

I heard Raye tried to pitched it to CN and Nick but got rejected, now being rejected by one of the major kids channels doesn't reflect on the quality of the show, for example Nickelodeon rejected shows like Adventure Time, Ed, Edd & Eddy and The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. But I think HGS would have been better received if it was realising on Netflix or Prime Video
Slim Reaper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:54 pm Reply with quote
HGS looks great honestly, waaaay better than what they first showed off a few years ago. Almost reminds me of a less angsty version of W.I.T.C.H. and I loved the mess out of that show. I just can't help but think that this won't land well on such a shonen/seinen dominated platform. We've seen the CR viewership data for 2020 and HGS doesn't seem to fit in with those shows at all, but I am incredibly curious to see how well it does considering the controversy surrounding it. That alone is bound to draw viewers.

Saiphaz wrote:
yet the first trailer, the one that only showcased the authors praising their own insight, tried to pass it off as it being something revolutionary

Yeah I remember that being what sparked the drama. The initial reveal focused more on the identity of the series and its production team/environment rather than actually showing the series which seemed to rub CR viewers the wrong way. Then of course the show itself looking more like Steven Universe than Sailor Moon or Pretty Cure.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah I remember that being what sparked the drama. The initial reveal focused more on the identity of the series and its production team/environment rather than actually showing the series which seemed to rub CR viewers the wrong way. Then of course the show itself looking more like Steven Universe than Sailor Moon or Pretty Cure.

Didn't that one burn account that said they knew about the HGS behind-the-scenes stuff say that that initial first trailer was Crunchyroll's doing, not the production team themselves?
Madster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I've returned to see the comment section not turn into a cesspool of hate! Anyways, I don't consider the series a full-blown ripoff, but I wouldn't be surprised if Crunchyroll saw how popular shows like Steven Universe were and decided, "Let's make something similar!". Yet I don't think CR wasn't a good home for this, as Netflix would have been a better choice. But that's showbiz for you. Hopefully Raye is currently working somewhere that treats him better than CR did in the last few years.

FireChick wrote:
Didn't that one burn account that said they knew about the HGS behind-the-scenes stuff say that that initial first trailer was Crunchyroll's doing, not the production team themselves?

I didn't even know we had a leaker lurking around ANN.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Saeryan wrote:
It's not like CR has stopped streaming male-oriented stuff, far from it, in fact. One more show with female leads meant to appeal to women isn't gonna hurt anyone.

Nobody cares this show is aimed at girls. Plenty of people love girl oriented shows like Precure and Fruits Basket. People care about things like Crunchyroll spending money on stuff like this while also shaming you to subscribe to Crunchyroll under the guise of supporting Japanese creators, the awful original promotional video, some of the people attached to this project being extremely awful people with toxic views, and many other issues. I'm sure it'll appeal to people who are fans of shows like Steven Universe, The Owl House, Infinity Train, and all other modern American animation, but that's also a very specific audience that has very little crossover with the anime fandom. It's not really shocking this wasn't well received by the anime fandom.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:38 pm Reply with quote
About time, but now I'll just see more whining about it everywhere.
FlyingOrange

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I wonder get they didn't put it on VRV Select instead. I think it would be much more at home and on brand alongside Rooster Teeth, Mondo, Cartoon Hangover and the few other things on VRV Select since it includes cartoons/western animation and anime instead of just anime.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Madster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:23 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:

Okay, NOW I remember this leak. I'm still taking this with a grain of salt. Given how Crunchyroll has treated High Guardian Spice, I wouldn't be surprised if what the supposed insider is saying is true. However, the last time we had "insider knowledge" was that one artist who claimed Crunchyroll avoided diverse shows because of HGS backlash, which I doubt was legit (especially with Raye himself and Onyx Equinox creator Sofia Alexander sharing their takes on it). Something tells me this is some troll trying to make High Guardian Spice look bad.

In the end, no matter how good the final product is or if the leak is true, High Guardian Spice is a case study of what can go wrong with an animated series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6