• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Originals Animated Shows High Guardian Spice, FreakAngels Reveal New Trailers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:31 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

Nobody cares this show is aimed at girls. Plenty of people love girl oriented shows like Precure and Fruits Basket. People care about things like Crunchyroll spending money on stuff like this while also shaming you to subscribe to Crunchyroll under the guise of supporting Japanese creators,

???

I haven't subscribed to Cruncyroll in awhile but when I was I never felt shamed into subscribing to them under that reason. I subscribed mostly to not have to worry about ads and to be able to watch some things that were gated behind a paid subscription.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why people keep trying to argue anime fans wouldn't complain about High Guardian Spice if it was just on Netflix instead or whatever when I see anime fans complaining about Netflix shows all the time, especially when Netflix calls them anime or if they're CGI animated. Also are people aware magic academy shows have existed for decades before Harry Potter and Little Witch Academia? You could also argue Little Witch Academia is a rip off of Winx Club because Winx Club was a magical girl magic academy show that existed a decade before Little Witch Academia. And Tweeny Witches came out in 2004.
lucio542

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:40 pm Reply with quote
If It get japanese dub i maybe watch, english dub sucks.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:43 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
I'm sure it'll appeal to people who are fans of shows like Steven Universe, The Owl House, Infinity Train, and all other modern American animation, but that's also a very specific audience that has very little crossover with the anime fandom. It's not really shocking this wasn't well received by the anime fandom.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that there's a massive crossover between anime fans and fans of Steven Universe at least, given that it wears its anime influences on its sleeve (Utena anyone?) and is chock-full of direct anime references, both blatant and subtle. I can't speak for the other two series since I have no personal experience with them, but the reason I originally got into anime was because I loved the idea of animation telling serious stories with sustained character development, so I'm sure I would have eaten up any American animated series doing the same thing.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Puniyo wrote:
I'm glad the staff's work didn't go to waste for HGS, but while it really doesn't look bad or anything, it does look like CR just isn't the right platform for it. Really exudes Netflix Original energy.

This could just be a me thing too, but there's a strange disconnect between the blood and the kids show-like style and writing.

Onyx Equinox had the same disconnect. The show felt like Avatar visually then went into gratuitous levels of blood and gore.

And that without going with the fact the show is basically a show done for Mexicans in mind, and created with American money, something that alienated American audiences. In fact, the Latin American Spanish dub is considered much better than the original English version, which also confirmed this.
lucio542

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If It get japanese dub i maybe watch, english dub sucks.

now this is the kind of Ultimate weebism i'm talking about. you sir, or ma'am deserve a cookie.

I am not from a country that speaks english, so why should i like It? Lul.
I only know english because it is important, i dont like even the dubs of my language, much less english.
ShironoKuro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:26 am Reply with quote
Good opportunity to watch a cartoon again, I haven’t seen one in DECADES lol. Should be fun enough and easy to get back into the swing of things.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:54 am Reply with quote
FunkyDude88 wrote:
Looks like an Owl House rip off with a bit of She-Ra Princesses of Power.

The show completed production in autumn 2019, several months before The Owl House aired its first episode.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:56 am Reply with quote
Damn, when they got to random blood and gore in the HGS trailer, I was genuinely caught off guard. I did NOT think it would be anything above a PG rating.

Beatdigga wrote:
HGS is one thing, and the previews look fairly harmless, if a bit too generic, but FreakAngels? Warren Ellis is not someone I would do business with if I were Crunchyroll.

More than likely, the shit about him came out well after they had purchased the rights to the series and had already gone into production. There's a good chance Ellis isn't even involved with the show beyond being the original author.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:16 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
HGS is one thing, and the previews look fairly harmless, if a bit too generic, but FreakAngels? Warren Ellis is not someone I would do business with if I were Crunchyroll.

Why not? Personal issues aside, he's still one of the best comic book writers of all time.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:51 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
I'm sure it'll appeal to people who are fans of shows like Steven Universe, The Owl House, Infinity Train, and all other modern American animation, but that's also a very specific audience that has very little crossover with the anime fandom. It's not really shocking this wasn't well received by the anime fandom.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that there's a massive crossover between anime fans and fans of Steven Universe at least, given that it wears its anime influences on its sleeve (Utena anyone?) and is chock-full of direct anime references, both blatant and subtle. I can't speak for the other two series since I have no personal experience with them, but the reason I originally got into anime was because I loved the idea of animation telling serious stories with sustained character development, so I'm sure I would have eaten up any American animated series doing the same thing.

Yeah, I'll also vouch for SU being -full- of anime references. Transformation sequences, kaiju and mecha fights, a running Captain Harlock reference, etc etc. It's quite obvious that most(I would say) of the folks that worked on the show -are- anime fans. Hell, the entire show has aspects of space opera at times, and is basically a magical girl anime, but starring Steven being Steven.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:24 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Onyx Equinox had the same disconnect. The show felt like Avatar visually then went into gratuitous levels of blood and gore.

And that without going with the fact the show is basically a show done for Mexicans in mind, and created with American money, something that alienated American audiences. In fact, the Latin American Spanish dub is considered much better than the original English version, which also confirmed this.

I'm not Mexican, though I'm from Latin America, but Onyx Equinox, despite being based on Mesoamerican culture, wasn't talked about that much and most people forgot about it quickly, although it was cool to hear Alejandro Vargas Lugo voicing Yaotl in both English and Spanish, he used to voice Grim in the Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy Neutral Spanish dub until he moved from Mexico to Los Angeles.
To be honest most people here in LatAm who use CR tend to be more interested in anime shows like Kobayashi-san, Tokyo Revengers and Jujutsu Kaisen. I'm not sure HGS is going to have better luck here.
Longsock

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

?? Doesn't that only prove the opposite? People who make American cartoons love anime (specifically Sailor Moon and Utena since that's all that they ever reference) but that doesn't mean anime fans love American cartoons. A lot of comic writers praise manga and try to latch onto its success but we know manga is destroying American comic in sales and comics aren't doing well. Most anime fans I see always talk bad about Steven Universe, HGS, and American cartoons in general especially ones that try to pretend to be anime.. The only people I really see like these cartoons are the ones who care about diversity and representation which most anime fans don't seem to be a fan of and actively say they watch anime because it doesn't focus on things like that. Anyway if there really is this huge crossover between fandoms than it wouldn't have gotten so much backlash.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Longsock wrote:

The only people I really see like these cartoons are the ones who care about diversity and representation which most anime fans don't seem to be a fan of and actively say they watch anime because it doesn't focus on things like that. Anyway if there really is this huge crossover between fandoms than it wouldn't have gotten so much backlash.
Most anime fans especially younger fans are progressive diverse communities who are LGBTQIA+ and from racially and gender diverse backgrounds. Anime fandom hasn't been dudebro prominent in like three decades. If you think having a crossover medium would inherently inoculate HGS from backlash you haven't been paying attention to YouTube and Internet conspiracy circles for the past several years.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Posts removed.

@ #Neothegreenland, derogatory terms for your fellow anime fans won't be tolerated. Continued posts of that ilk will land you on moderation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6