• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Originals Animated Shows High Guardian Spice, FreakAngels Reveal New Trailers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nev999

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
JennLegacy wrote:
RE: Overlap of anime and modern day cartoon fandoms

I think taking a step into any random anime convention artist alley would be enough to squash the idea that there is no overlap. I've seen countless artists display and sell merch of stuff like Persona, Fire Emblem, Demon Slayer, etc. side by side with merch for shows like Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, and heck, even Rick and Morty.

And specifically for HGS, magical girl fans are extremely receptive of shows that fit into the genre regardless of what country it's coming from. Seriously, alongside Precure and Sailor Moon, the magical girl shows I usually see the most discussions for amongst diehard fans of the genre are Winx Club, Miraculous Ladybug, and She-Ra which come from Italy, France, and the US respectively. Saying there's no audience for this show might as well be saying CR shouldn't have bothered putting in all that effort to license Precure and Pripara too.

I guess I'm not one of those people. I think shows like Steven Universe, She-Ra or High Guardian Spice are incomparable to Japanese magical girl series. For one thing Japanese magical girl shows actually have attractive characters. They also generally have better animation. They also structurally focus on different themes and styles. I love magical girl anime but I'm not a fan of any of those shows. Older stuff like Totally Spies, W.I.T.C.H. and Winx Club were fine, but then again they were also made like almost 20 years ago. Back then you could actually do things like make attractive female designs with fanservice and have other content that wouldn't fly today. I don't think it's really possible for America to do a magical girl series with their current restrictions and focus.

Thanks for admitting you evaluate what's a 'real' magical girl show on whether you, personally, can get horny over the young characters. Unfortunately, it still doesn't make you the target audience of those shows. Stuff like Ojamajo Doremi and Precure and many others aren't actually designed to turn you on either.

Also Totally Spies isn't a magical girl show, were you too busy to notice that?
Guile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Nev999 wrote:
Thanks for admitting you evaluate what's a 'real' magical girl show on whether you, personally, can get horny over the young characters. Unfortunately, it still doesn't make you the target audience of those shows. Stuff like Ojamajo Doremi and Precure and many others aren't actually designed to turn you on either.

Those two shows are pretty famous for being design for doing just that, actually. Precure is absolutely aimed at older guys One just needs to look at the current season and all the various kinds of cuts and shots being done intentionally. Whoever the guy that animated Cure LaMer's transformation sequence is being very blatant about his particular fascination with feet, among other scenes in the season that seem to focus on them. It's also probably safe to say those high-end lewd figures of the characters are aimed at guys rather than little girls.

Ojamajo Doremi: Onpu was incredibly popular back in the day, which is why she became one of the main cast after the first series. And just in case it's been awhile since anyone's seen it, Onpu was a junior idol. They made no attempt hide that she shot swimsuit photobooks and DVDs for her fans. I'm pretty sure even Akko's dad admitted to being one of her fans in one episode if I'm remembering correctly. Her entire character archetype was being an otaku pandering idol and basically was the most popular character in the show and would do very well on Japanese character polls at the time.

Magical girl anime absolutely has its roots in otaku culture and sex appeal. I don't really get the point of trying to shame people for being open about their fondness of it. Could I dismiss the female fans of series like Haikyu, Free, or Prince of Tennis by saying they only care about the series because of the attractive boys? No, of course not. Attractive characters are important to a series because everyone likes attractive characters. Why would you intentionally make ugly characters if your goal is to be successful? Seems like a bad business decision for people who don't like money.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Nev999 wrote:
My point is only you can't say 'these shows don't have x and therefore x is better' if you haven't bothered to watch those shows. it's a pretty simple one.

I mean, what I'm getting from this thread, is that people don't seem to appreciate that a show hinges only on diversity for marketing reasons, and when they see how mediocre and low quality the show could be, they can't complaint about it because it would be then an attack on the show for its diversity. When you make that your show's identity in marketing and advertisement without selling what the show is actually about, you're bound to have people think about how the show's use of diversity hides the fact that, beyond that, the show might not be worth your while, and hence they won't watch it.

Personally, the only thing I do criticize about recent american cartoons (specially the CN, Steven Universe-style fare, and the upcoming Aquaman cartoon on HBO Max), is that they all look the same in animation and art style (and High Spice Guardian is not the exception), what with their soft, round, and basic designs, and the safe, repetitive storylines. I also think the reason we see this type of shows recently is because the people who make these shows were born in the mid-90's, so they wear their influences on their sleeves, and they know each other in the industry.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

Magical girl anime absolutely has its roots in otaku culture and sex appeal. I don't really get the point of trying to shame people for being open about their fondness of it. Could I dismiss the female fans of series like Haikyu, Free, or Prince of Tennis by saying they only care about the series because of the attractive boys? No, of course not. Attractive characters are important to a series because everyone likes attractive characters. Why would you intentionally make ugly characters if your goal is to be successful? Seems like a bad business decision for people who don't like money.

Which is why Baki and Kengan Ashura are famously reviled, right? Those dudes are gross. Not to mention Spongebob Squarepants, Ren and Stimpy, the Rugrats... Or does this only apply when it comes to female characters?

I don't understand why it's so hard for some people to process that fuckability is not a priority for some animators. If you only watch animated shows where you want to have sex with the characters, that's your prerogative but it isn't a necessity for all or even most people.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:

I don't think nobody would complain - of course someone will always complain - but CR markets itself as being a strictly anime streaming service. On Netflix you have both anime and non-anime watchers, and something like HGS would benefit more from also being able to catch those non-anime watchers. I genuinely don't think Castlevania would've done as well on CR.

When She-Ra was first announced for Netflix, the Internet instantly complained because She-Ra wasn't sexy enough for them and people complained about the new He-Man show having too much focus on women characters or something. Also Crunchyroll has been streaming Rooster Teeth animation on their site for years without any issue. Even in this thread hardly anyone is complaining about Crunchyroll streaming the new Warren Ellis animated series which seems that would be a bigger issue of criticism given the sexual harassment allegations against Warren Ellis. It's only the show made for girls that people are making into an issue.
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Those two shows are pretty famous for being design for doing just that, actually. Precure is absolutely aimed at older guys One just needs to look at the current season and all the various kinds of cuts and shots being done intentionally. Whoever the guy that animated Cure LaMer's transformation sequence is being very blatant about his particular fascination with feet, among other scenes in the season that seem to focus on them. It's also probably safe to say those high-end lewd figures of the characters are aimed at guys rather than little girls.

I was always under the impression Toei counted Precure as being targeted towards men too because they were aiming for the audience who were still big into kids toku shows (which air around the same time) which is why Precure tends to have more lavish fight sequences than other magical girl anime aimed towards kids.

Also... there's an emphasis on LaMer's feet because she's a mermaid that gets legs when she transforms?? And Bandai/Toei wants people to know that they have kids nail polish for sale especially while the makeup centric season is airing?? Listen, I'm also an artist. I know that a lot of artists try to be cheeky and purposely put shit into shows that they know will go above the heads of the kids watching. This even happens with Disney movies. That doesn't suddenly turn kids entertainment into fanservice. Next, you're going to be telling me Oopsie Poopsie dolls are aimed at adult men too.
Guile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:14 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Which is why Baki and Kengan Ashura are famously reviled, right? Those dudes are gross. Not to mention Spongebob Squarepants, Ren and Stimpy, the Rugrats... Or does this only apply when it comes to female characters?

Are you aware the artist for Kengan Ashura draws hentai? They obviously to have an audience. I'm not personally into bara and it sounds like you are not either but but there's absolutely people who are. One person's gross is another persons interest.

Quote:
I don't understand why it's so hard for some people to process that fuckability is not a priority for some animators. If you only watch animated shows where you want to have sex with the characters, that's your prerogative but it isn't a necessity for all or even most people.

Who is saying that? It seems like there's more people confused that most people want to watch attractive characters in media. Which is not surprising, since there's always tons of flak against fanservice. No, of course not every series needs to focus on it, especially something like a goofy comedy for kids like Spongebob, but for certain genres that are known for it, and when you go out of your way to try to subvert or push back against those expectations and tropes it's no surprise when it backfires.

JennLegacy wrote:
I was always under the impression Toei counted Precure as being targeted towards men too because they were aiming for the audience who were still big into kids toku shows (which air around the same time) which is why Precure tends to have more lavish fight sequences than other magical girl anime aimed towards kids.

Also... there's an emphasis on LaMer's feet because she's a mermaid that gets legs when she transforms?? And Bandai/Toei wants people to know that they have kids nail polish for sale especially while the makeup centric season is airing?? Listen, I'm also an artist. I know that a lot of artists try to be cheeky and purposely put shit into shows that they know will go above the heads of the kids watching. This even happens with Disney movies. That doesn't suddenly turn kids entertainment into fanservice. Next, you're going to be telling me Oopsie Poopsie dolls are aimed at adult men too.

I would offer a suggestion checking out some of the Japanese directors and artists blogs some time. They're very open about their intent and feelings. When you have official artists for franchises drawing lewds on Pixiv and Twitter it's hard to argue against their intent.

And for all the ANN forum people from the Twittersphere screencapping my post, I'd love to hear a genuine rebuttal to why Toei would put out those figures of the characters rather than snide insults. You can't just ignore the fact Toei put out adult-aimed cast-off figurines with certain very detailed and sculpted parts if it wasn't their intent to capitalize on that audience. One does not look at the gravure DVDs Toei puts out for the actresses in their toku series and insisting there's nothing sexual going on there. Japanese companies are not puritans. They know exactly what sections of the fanbase want and are more than happy to provide. Toei is especially known for it. It might be hard to accept but the people that make your favorite series are indeed probably perverts.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
When She-Ra was first announced for Netflix, the Internet instantly complained because She-Ra wasn't sexy enough for them and people complained about the new He-Man show having too much focus on women characters or something. Also Crunchyroll has been streaming Rooster Teeth animation on their site for years without any issue. Even in this thread hardly anyone is complaining about Crunchyroll streaming the new Warren Ellis animated series which seems that would be a bigger issue of criticism given the sexual harassment allegations against Warren Ellis. It's only the show made for girls that people are making into an issue.

She-Ra is an existing property. Most of the complaints were from fans of the original series who were dissatisfied with the direction the Netflix version was doing. High Guardian Spice is an original show with no existing fanbase to displease. I'm sure people would still mock it because of the original trailer alone, but it certainly wouldn't have attracted nearly as much attention from the anime community if it wasn't directly involved with Crunchyroll nor did the trailer premiere precisely around the time there was a huge push to shame pirates for not supporting Crunchyroll. To put the timeline into perspective, the High Guardian Spice trailer premier within days of the Answerman column from 2018 that was designed to be a rebuttal of Digibro's video about not supporting Crunchyroll. It was all perfectly timed to be the big reveal of the side telling you what giving your money to Crunchyroll if you like anime would be, and the result ended up being High Guardian Spice which was certainly not what people were wanting to hear at the time. You can go back and re-read that Answerman thread and specifically see numerous mentions of High Guardian Spice.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:22 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
High Guardian Spice is an original show with no existing fanbase to displease. I'm sure people would still mock it because of the original trailer alone, but it certainly wouldn't have attracted nearly as much attention from the anime community if it wasn't directly involved with Crunchyroll nor did the trailer premiere precisely around the time there was a huge push to shame pirates for not supporting Crunchyroll. To put the timeline into perspective, the High Guardian Spice trailer premier within days of the Answerman column from 2018 that was designed to be a rebuttal of Digibro's video about not supporting Crunchyroll. It was all perfectly timed to be the big reveal of the side telling you what giving your money to Crunchyroll if you like anime would be, and the result ended up being High Guardian Spice which was certainly not what people were wanting to hear at the time. You can go back and re-read that Answerman thread and specifically see numerous mentions of High Guardian Spice.

The timeline is the reverse of what is implied above.

That August 29, 2018 Answerman column was in response to a question about an August 25 Digibro video ... which was in response to the August 22 High Guardian Spice announcement.

animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2018-08-29/.136030
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC-bpYDE2gk (no longer public)
https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/08/22/ellation-announces-new-division-devoted-to-original-content
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
I would offer a suggestion checking out some of the Japanese directors and artists blogs some time. They're very open about their intent and feelings. When you have official artists for franchises drawing lewds on Pixiv and Twitter it's hard to argue against their intent.

And for all the ANN forum people from the Twittersphere screencapping my post, I'd love to hear a genuine rebuttal to why Toei would put out those figures of the characters rather than snide insults. You can't just ignore the fact Toei put out adult-aimed cast-off figurines with certain very detailed and sculpted parts if it wasn't their intent to capitalize on that audience. One does not look at the gravure DVDs Toei puts out for the actresses in their toku series and insisting there's nothing sexual going on there. Japanese companies are not puritans. They know exactly what sections of the fanbase want and are more than happy to provide. Toei is especially known for it. It might be hard to accept but the people that make your favorite series are indeed probably perverts.

I don't know how obvious it was in my post, but I am more than aware a lot of artists are perverts. A single trip to the animation department of your average art school could tell you that. The worst "perverted adult in-joke" I've seen in a cartoon was the thinly veiled bukkake scene in Boss Baby, and instead of reacting in disgust, I was just baffled something that obvious managed to get past the storyboard stage. None of that changes the fact that this is all still stuff made primarily for kids and adults will only ever be a secondary audience. Like, if you're going to make the argument that Precure is largely made for men just because some perverted animators wanna see what they can get past the censors, then you can easily say the same thing for most of the western cartoons you hate too.

You're absolutely correct that making products for adults is just obvious business,. Hasbro definitely did not commission those MLP Kotobukiya figures for kids to purchase. In fact, they made them because they know their main audience just wants to move on to the next generation of toys already, but they're not quite ready to release those yet, so they gotta squeeze the last bit of cash from what's left of the adult fans in the meantime. Same goes for Precure. I've never seen the high end figures released withtin the same year or two of the current season. Us adults are just an extra perk to them.

That's gonna be my last word on this especially since this isn't even the main topic of the thread. Apologies to the mods.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:12 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
To put the timeline into perspective, the High Guardian Spice trailer premier within days of the Answerman column from 2018 that was designed to be a rebuttal of Digibro's video about not supporting Crunchyroll. It was all perfectly timed to be the big reveal of the side telling you what giving your money to Crunchyroll if you like anime would be, and the result ended up being High Guardian Spice which was certainly not what people were wanting to hear at the time. You can go back and re-read that Answerman thread and specifically see numerous mentions of High Guardian Spice.
Are you trying to suggest ANN is in on some conspiracy with Crunchyroll? Rolling Eyes
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:34 am Reply with quote
Guile & JennLegacy, yes you can stop now. You've gone far enough off-topic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Are you trying to suggest ANN is in on some conspiracy with Crunchyroll? Rolling Eyes

No? I'm saying there was some pretty bad timing of this show being announced back during a period when there was a lot of critical discussion about Crunchyroll and supporting the industry at large which did not do it any favors. I mean, your post contested Puniyo's claim about there wouldn't be as much backlash if this aired on Netflix and implied there was some conspiracy against women or something and all the people who disliked the 2018 She-Ra would also hate this show, and I was just pointing out that doesn't really have much basis since they involve two completely difference situations involving two completely difference audiences.
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Trailer linked in the article for HGS is private, seems to have been re-uploaded for whatever reason. Figured I'd comment to let newsroom / editors know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y8zeoHBd6w
Djfourth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I watched this show to find out why it's rated TV-14 and has a pretty severe looking warning at the beginning of each episode. I honestly couldn't find a good reason. The action is tamed, there's very little blood shown, although the word "shit" is spoken around three times throughout the series. I love the inclusion of multiple openly LGBTQ+ characters and they're not being made to look like deviants. The positive female friendships, finally an anime that passes the Bechdel test. Also thank you for not sexually exploiting your visibly under age and of age female characters for the perverse enjoyment of some of the creepier anime fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6