• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The Dirty Pair

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:37 am Reply with quote
The OG Pretty Cure Duo of Cure Black and Cure White are also based on the Dirty Pair, with Nagisa being Kei and Honoka being Yuri.

Last edited by AsuraTheDestructor on Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:53 am Reply with quote
Hey, the shot at Kiddy Grade is uncalled for (even if it is largely forgotten).

I backed the complete collection in the Kickstarter so I guess this will be how I finally get into Dirty Pair after ~25 years of fandom.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:31 am Reply with quote
I'm mixed on the show, I find it fun and enjoyable, so there's that. However I find the longer it goes on, the less interested I am in watching it. it's sort of like if you took out the middling episodes out of Cowboy bebop, Samurai Champloo and Space Dandy and made a show out of them. Plus I seem to recall the first episode having the best animation, and after that they scaled down on the Sakuga.

If any of the two of them were lesbians, my money would be on Kei, ironic given the other one is called Yuri. As Kei is very much a tomboy where Yuri is very girly.
JintoLin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:46 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:

I backed the complete collection in the Kickstarter so I guess this will be how I finally get into Dirty Pair after ~25 years of fandom.

Seconded! I loved Kiddy Grade. And it must not have been completely forgotten because they made a sequel a few years later.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:25 am Reply with quote
Fun fact, it's been argued that Haruka Takachiho is among the main pioneers of isekai fiction in Japan, his novel Isekai no Yuushi having been published back in 1979.
flammie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I've watched all of the movies, ova's, and flash, and currently working through the tv series and I don't remember any "climax"-fueled ESP.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:27 pm Reply with quote
The screenshot of the Star Trek homage on the computer screen reminded me that early Star Trek: The Next Generation paid back the compliment: there was a display with planets "Kei" and "Yuri".

(I went looking for more details and found that ST:TNG is full of Dirty Pair references: https://dirtypair.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Dirty_Pair_references_in_popular_culture#Star_Trek )
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:43 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
(I went looking for more details and found that ST:TNG is full of Dirty Pair references: https://dirtypair.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Dirty_Pair_references_in_popular_culture#Star_Trek )

You mean, that a show that has the Enterprise stumble upon the lost ship Yamato would have some Dirty Pair references in it? I'm shocked.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:53 pm Reply with quote
The original show is a classic of the 80's Nothing to chew on,just a whole a lot of fun seeing these characters get into such antics, causing so much collateral damage. The animation still holds up incredibly well and the action is still a lot of fun to watch.Interesting that they haven't done anything thing else with the series, since the medicore attempt in the 90's with Flash.

On another note, reading this reminded me of the heavily negative review on here by Carlo Santos years ago,which always gave me a chuckle. He was so angry at the show for not adhering to an overarching narrative or having character development for Kei and Yuri,when the show wasn't designed to be that.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:57 pm Reply with quote
flammie wrote:
I've watched all of the movies, ova's, and flash, and currently working through the tv series and I don't remember any "climax"-fueled ESP.

In the light novels, there would be a moment of psychic insight where they would join hands, tilt their heads back, and 'solve' a mystery. ( tldr - boring generic example, spoiler[they would 'see' an image of some simple symbol, which would turn out to be a clue, usually to a where a document was at, and that would prove who the bad guys were, and eventually there'd be a big fight, bad guys lose, etc.] )

It was usually a turning point, but I wouldn't call it a climax of much interest, myself.

I may be in a minority here, but I really don't think much of the LNs. Very slight and very repetitious. Rolling Eyes
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
flammie wrote:

In the light novels, there would be a moment of psychic insight where they would join hands, tilt their heads back, and 'solve' a mystery. ( tldr - boring generic example, spoiler[they would 'see' an image of some simple symbol, which would turn out to be a clue, usually to a where a document was at, and that would prove who the bad guys were, and eventually there'd be a big fight, bad guys lose, etc.] )

It was usually a turning point, but I wouldn't call it a climax of much interest, myself.

I may be in a minority here, but I really don't think much of the LNs. Very slight and very repetitious. Rolling Eyes

Yeah, that's the one. The LNs always described it as being kind of an ecstatic experience. Then the manga just ramped it up and insisted that yes, it was vital that their boobs were symmetrically docked and that the girls look "tired" after doing it. Laughing
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:50 pm Reply with quote
JintoLin wrote:
Saffire wrote:

Seconded! I loved Kiddy Grade. And it must not have been completely forgotten because they made a sequel a few years later.

No offense, but I am perfectly fine leaving Kiddy Grade back in the past. It had a neat visual style, but I really hated that they never explained what that weird lipstick was and the whole thing got more convoluted as it went on. I was super hyped to watch it based on a Newtype USA spread, and then it just ended up being one of my biggest disappointments.

Dirty Pair, however, I am thrilled to see back in action in whatever fashion. The OVA was one of the first '80s anime I saw as a burgeoning anime fan in the late '90s and taught me that old stuff could still be good. I wouldn't be a giant Dezaki and Umezu fan if it weren't for Kei and Yuri showing me the way. Super excited for the TV show to come out on bluray and get a dub stateside after all these years.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:19 pm Reply with quote
The first image in the article is the Dirty Pair creators paying their dues. It's a shout out to the pair's very first appearance in anime in the Crusher Joe film. Here's how they appear in that film.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I have enjoyed Dirty Pair when I've watched it before, but I don't know if I $250 enjoyed it. Too bad they're not just offering a complete collectors box only tier option -_-
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Hey-it's the Dirty Pair, the series that got me into anime so many years ago. I'm not gonna back this ks campaign, I'll just wait for the retail version. What gets me is how ADV couldn't get the music and sound effects track to dub it and all of the sudden wrongstuf pulls it out of their collective butthole. It was supposedly either lost or destroyed-WTF? I've always like Kei and Yuri although I was more fond of Kei than Yuri, the much maligned Flash series is almost-but not quite as good as DP classic. Of the 3 movies (although I consider Project Eden a true movie) the other 2 are just slightly long ovas. Affair On Norlandia is my favorite of the 3 by far. But I guess the time was right to attempt dubbing the 26 ep. tv series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2