• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney to Stream Tatami Time Machine Blues, Black Rock Shooter Dawn Fall, Summer Time Renderin

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:51 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I have a lot of thoughts about this.

Firstly...man, this is so random. Like, I get Star Wars Visions was a success but I thought that would inspire more anime based around properties Disney owns like Twisted Wonderland or maybe more Marvel anime, but instead they're just licensing such random stuff from the perspective of Disney's brand image.

Like, Summer Time Rendering? I haven't read the manga myself but the Main Heroine seems like she's running around in a swimsuit most of the time and it deals with murder and a time-loop with content on par with Re:Zero and Tokyo Revengers. Black Rock Shooter dealt with some heavy stuff. And something in the Tatami Galaxy-verse, a literal sequel, is so random too.

Should we expect this stuff to get censored or edited to fit more with the kind of audience Disney+ is catered towards? Or will Disney be hands-off?

And obviously this seems like an indication that Disney is stepping up into the anime licensing game, which seems like it could be a huge deal.

And how will they be handling releasing this? Simulcast or binge-releases like Netflix complete with dubs? Will fans have to suffer through dubtitles like they did with Star Wars: Visions? Will Disney be doing what they did with Visions and getting a lot of celebrity names in this?

Knowing the presence of Star+, it won't be out of the question that more heavy content would added there. I mean, when there's Y: The Last Man, you can bet that it won't be different from certain anime.
MysticGon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:08 pm Reply with quote
You see all this money being thrown around this beloved form of media but you know none of it is going to the people putting pen to paper/tablet. Disney's obsessive desire to be a part of every conversation in every entertainment industry also makes this doubly disgusting. Good thing about the anime industry is that with time it weeds out those who are genuine from the opportunists and it's usually led by fans. I just hope it doesn't do too much damage to employees in the meantime.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:14 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
I didn't think the industry could get even more corporate feeling after the acquisition of Crunchyroll, but here we are. Also I worry about if they will have dubtitles. Star Wars Visions had closed caption dubtitles, it did not have a proper subtitle track for the Japanese audio. I thought we were done with dubtitles after the Ghibli movies which got reissued with proper subtitles after Disney lost the rights, but nope.

Between Netflix's complete inability to do subs properly, and FUNimation being nearly as bad with less info, with potential dubtitles from Disney, the future is looking very grim for anyone wanting the bare minimum subtitle presentation. When 1990s DVD subtitles run circles around modern subs, there's a massive problem.

And Crunchyroll barely pays the translators who help them come up with their subs...
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
If anything, it's the fact that Crunchyroll, Funimation, and Netflix doing really well that compelled them to dive into the anime industry to this extent.

That's exactly what I think. Some internal data went around and Disney is mad that they weren't making money in this field like the other three. Like so many others, I have my doubts too. But this sudden rush really feels like some higher up executive walks into a meeting one day and was like "Hey! Why aren't we making money from these Japanese cartoons? We already have so many cartoons! Wouldn't hurt to get a few more on our services. I heard they make a lot of money! Get it done before November!" and walks out of the room.

There are a lot of questions to be asked: impact on licensing fees? on physical release? on international distribution? sub/dub/translation? on streaming competition within the industry? on working conditions (bet you not in a good way)? censorship/edits? release model?
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:08 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
Pokenatic wrote:
If anything, it's the fact that Crunchyroll, Funimation, and Netflix doing really well that compelled them to dive into the anime industry to this extent.

That's exactly what I think. Some internal data went around and Disney is mad that they weren't making money in this field like the other three. Like so many others, I have my doubts too. But this sudden rush really feels like some higher up executive walks into a meeting one day and was like "Hey! Why aren't we making money from these Japanese cartoons? We already have so many cartoons! Wouldn't hurt to get a few more on our services. I heard they make a lot of money! Get it done before November!" and walks out of the room.

There are a lot of questions to be asked: impact on licensing fees? on physical release? on international distribution? sub/dub/translation? on streaming competition within the industry? on working conditions (bet you not in a good way)? censorship/edits? release model?

Uhm, they just announced they're streaming these anime when they're released, they're not forcing the companies to release them on November.

As for your questions:

1. Could increase the fees depending on how highly regarded the project is.
2. Could face obstacles like with Netflix, which could enable Sentai to do more redubs.
3. As the article states, Disney+ is not available to most parts of the world at the moment, meaning that the lack of announcement for worldwide platforms. That means that like with FUNi, Disney may use different but related streaming service to air the anime if they will.
4. Given the latest project and the scope of this announcement, they may use the same method Netflix used in dubbing the shows with all languages available, subs could depend on whether Disney simuldubs the shows or not.
5. The acquisition of CR by FUNi could intensify the companies trying to grab the anime that are most hype worthy for the crowds.
6. Well, it's up to the workers to do something about that at the moment.
7. Given it's on a streaming service, they may use anime that may be acceptable enough for the Disney+ service, but if the content is mature enough, they may move the content to Star+ if it means keeping it uncensored.
8. Could depend, but so far, it could be mainly weekly releases like what FUNimation and CR do, but the dub could depend if they do it like the former or they could binge drop it like with Netflix.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I have disney+, but I still hope they don't join the already crowded anime streaming market.
I can only think of negatives with them competing and getting seasonal titles.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:43 pm Reply with quote
And thus kills my excitement for summer time rendering, the show I was looking forward to most.

The selection of anime is so bizarre (Except TW which is their IP), I feel like they just bid randomly on titles just so other platforms couldn't get them.
It's like they saw the success of Demon Slayer theatrically, and then the success of Squid Game and were like "woah! better get in on that game!" and just pulled random titles from a hat.
Time Machine Blues in particular is bizarre because 1. It's a sequel to a Funi title (though I don't know how much you need to have seen of Galaxy to watch Blues), and 2. it's super niche, and, if it's anything like Galaxy, has super fast subs and an art style not very accessible for newcomers. I know Science Saru is getting bigger and they worked on that Star Wars Visions thing but this is just an odd choice to kick off your anime streaming selection with.

I'm also curious about if it will be weekly or binge. I don't have Disney+ so I don't know what they normally do.

Hearing about the dubtitles issue makes me worried too.

ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Say goodbye to home video releases for any of these. The mouse hates it now and unless this is some case like Amazon where they could have separate rights there's no way it'll happen.

Screw Disney.

Yeah, my concern too. These aren't big mainstream popular titles so unless they strike a deal with other distributors (which I kinda doubt?), these shows are just gonna disappear into obscurity.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:56 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
And thus kills my excitement for summer time rendering, the show I was looking forward to most.

The selection of anime is so bizarre (Except TW which is their IP), I feel like they just bid randomly on titles just so other platforms couldn't get them.
It's like they saw the success of Demon Slayer theatrically, and then the success of Squid Game and were like "woah! better get in on that game!" and just pulled random titles from a hat.
Time Machine Blues in particular is bizarre because 1. It's a sequel to a Funi title (though I don't know how much you need to have seen of Galaxy to watch Blues), and 2. it's super niche, and, if it's anything like Galaxy, has super fast subs and an art style not very accessible for newcomers. I know Science Saru is getting bigger and they worked on that Star Wars Visions thing but this is just an odd choice to kick off your anime streaming selection with.

I'm also curious about if it will be weekly or binge. I don't have Disney+ so I don't know what they normally do.

Hearing about the dubtitles issue makes me worried too.

ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Say goodbye to home video releases for any of these. The mouse hates it now and unless this is some case like Amazon where they could have separate rights there's no way it'll happen.

Screw Disney.

Yeah, my concern too. These aren't big mainstream popular titles so unless they strike a deal with other distributors (which I kinda doubt?), these shows are just gonna disappear into obscurity.

What's so wrong in picking certain anime? These are fairly popular anime titles to most anime fans, so they pick the ones they could be attracted.
#Neothegreenland

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:41 pm Reply with quote
isn't the right to stream in japan separate from the one to do so internationally? if so, i don't see why some people are upset about this? Shocked
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:46 pm Reply with quote
#Neothegreenland wrote:
isn't the right to stream in japan separate from the one to do so internationally? if so, i don't see why some people are upset about this? Shocked

The article also mentions that they also have plans to stream these shows worldwide through other means.
chronium

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Expect to see more international licensing to happen because of the high likely hood of production shutdowns from a IATSE strike.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:10 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:

They won't bother. Criterion has been shot down by them trying to get Fox releases. Disney hates home video and it's not going to change.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't be any more happier seeing this news yesterday night and it was only a matter of time for Disney, moreso Disney+ to enter in the anime field after Star Wars Visions was a success last month.

Surprisingly the news was set to happen sooner or later as an article from the Hollywood Reporter in April and another article from Project Anime.org in February had hinted at Disney+ producing more original Anime for their Disney+ service beyond Star Wars Visions.

Super excited for those 4 series and can't wait for them to be released on Disney+ internationally outside of Asia. I'm also curious on which recording studios they would utilize for those 4 series respectively considering they used Studiopolis for the Stitch!, Marvel Disk Wars, and Marvel Future Avengers dubs, and recently NYAV Post for the Star Wars Visions dub (although Studiopolis was used for additional recording on the following Visions shorts: The Twins and The Ninth Jedi)
FlyingOrange

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I hope they put them on hulu in the US. That would probably also make more sense brand-wise. Considering they're making a show with Aniplex I'd imagine the Funimation deal is still fine, hopefully.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:25 pm Reply with quote
This stuff will be far and away some of the most extreme content on Disney+. Their hardest content to date is billion dollar popcorn flicks aimed at 10 year olds.

Edit: Nm, looks like is JP only.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4