• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - The End of Smash Ultimate

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Look, Konami, I'll make it easy for you. You want to get back in everyone's good graces? Make a new home edition of Dance Dance Revolution for modern consoles -- probably just Ace and A20, since that's what's still in the arcades -- and ensure there's some sort of dance pad hardware story (USB, wireless, whatever, just set a standard and stick to it). Even most people who don't play DDR at least like the idea of DDR, and would see this as a genuine move to re-engage with the gamer audience. Plus, I'll bet DDR is way cheaper to develop than a AAA-level Silent Hill or Metal Gear, even factoring in music licensing.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:41 pm Reply with quote
-Smash: Ah, it's been a wild ride. It'll be interesting to see where Sakurai goes next and we'll definitely be getting more Smash in the future. Maybe with the next game they can add Elma, Doom Slayer, and Mike Jones.

-Square: Stranger in Paradise is one of the most glorious trainwrecks in years. And Nomura is convinced it's some kind of transcendental masterpiece. Oh, that poor idiot.

-Konami: More Castlevania and MGS is interesting, but Kojima with Silent Hill would be a disaster.

-Sugiyama: He made his choices, people celebrating is his own damn fault.

In other news, GTA is getting a remastered collection of the PS2 titles.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Suikoden 6, that's all I want from Konami .
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:20 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Look, Konami, I'll make it easy for you. You want to get back in everyone's good graces? Make a new home edition of Dance Dance Revolution for modern consoles

Isn’t the music rhythm genre mostly dead at this point?
Triltaison

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:30 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
invalidname wrote:
Look, Konami, I'll make it easy for you. You want to get back in everyone's good graces? Make a new home edition of Dance Dance Revolution for modern consoles

Isn’t the music rhythm genre mostly dead at this point?

Not really. Crypt of the Necrodancer, Project Mirai, Beat Saber, Rhythm Doctor, and others are still popular enough. But there is a definite dearth of them coming from major publishers, and I kinda think DDR skipped the entire Xbox One/PS4 generation of consoles. My niece had to come play my old original Xbox Ultramix copies to get her fix with a dance pad. I would be quite happy to see new DDR games in my living room again (but less generic radio music... I want more "Dam Damiram" and "Castles in the Sky" and less Taylor Swift or whatever).

As for Smash, I'm fine with Sora. I do kinda wish they'd have traded Byleth and Pyra/Mythra for something not humanoid, though. No offense to the characters themselves, but Banjo/Kazooie was the only non-human addition and I like the variety of the weird shaped stuff like Pac-man and ROB. Spyro would have been a nice addition on that front. Love Doomguy, though.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:42 pm Reply with quote
The Konami franchise I'd love to see revived for the modern age would be Rocket Knight Adventures/Sparkster. I think it's been a little over the decade since Konami last tried a Rocket Knight Adventures revival as a downloadable on 7th generation consoles. I never tried that one as I didn't have an online connection for my XBox 360 at the time but I remember that it received mixed reviews. The original Rocket Knight Adventures was one of the most deserving Genesis titles that wasn't on the Genesis Mini and it wasn't due to licensing issues since Konami did work together with Sega to put Castlevania: Bloodlines and Contra: Hard Corps on the Mini.

My pipedream would be that Konami would finally make a sequel to Enthusia: Professional Racing on Playstation 2, since it was a great first game of a potential series that could have been a worthy competitor to Gran Turismo but it's a game that a lot of people, myself included, didn't discover until after it was a sales disappointment, having been released too soon after Gran Turismo 4. Enthusia could have licensed more exotic cars and more real world racetracks (though it was one of the few other PS2 games besides Gran Turismo 4 that had the full Nurburgring Nordschleife) but you still got a nice variety of cars and great original circuits and the car models themselves were some of the most realistic-looking of the era. Konami's Enthusia was easily the best of the weird one-shot PS2 racing games released by major Japanese publishers who aren't generally known for racing games (see also Capcom's Auto Modellista, which looked awesome with its cel-shaded graphics but the handling left much to be desired, and Squaresoft's Driving Emotion Type S).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Smash: I was both equally surprised & not that Sora made it in. Honestly, the boy earned his invite and I don't think there was a better character to bow out on. And yet, I still saw people complaining (no Disney, another sword fighter, etc.). I kept pulling for Ryu Hayabusa, but I'm not gonna complain when Sakurai made my dreams come true 20x over with Smash Ultimate. Smash Ultimate really is an achievement of humanity.

Also, as I always love to point out, Terry Bogard got the longest presentation.

Konami: I guess Konami is finally remembering that people still love their video game IP's and I'm glad they are shopping them around. Can't say I'm excited for anything MGS-related though. Was happy with the ending of 4, but MGSV really soured me on anything moving forward. Also with DDR, that was a very unique arcade experience that never fully translated into the home & I think Just Dance kinda took over that potential market. I also know a couple of people holding out hope for a Bloody Roar revival.

Koichi Sugiyama: FWIW, along with his many other credits, in the tokusatsu world he composed the theme for Return of Ultraman.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:20 pm Reply with quote
- Bandai-Namco: the main problem with their new logo is the color, that purple or magenta doesn't look good, they should have used red and orange.
- Smash: I think Sora was the best character Sakurai and Nintendo could have chosen to end the Smash roster, and while I'm happy he ended up in the game, rumors about his inclusion were circulating after the last Nintendo Direct so the surprise factor wasn't as big as characters like Joker, Sefirot and Kazuya, at least for me. Sora does feel kind of weird without Donald and Goofy around, but I can understand why they aren't mentioned. The Doom Slayer mii costume was actually more shocking to me, kind of weird that there aren't as many memes like when the Sans costume was revealed, but at least Sans loooked like he came from his game.
- Konami: I tend not to buy into rumors because they always end up being fake, Konami themselves are in a weird position though, in Japan they're are the third highest earning publisher after Nintendo and Capcom, Momotaro Dentetsu became their biggest hit in their home country, and while their pachinko division took a hit due to the pandemic, financially they're doing great. However, I can totally see they considering reviving their IP, Metal Gear is one of the biggest names in gaming, a remake of a game like the original MGS would sell a lot, although I don't think they would work with Kojima again, from what I heard Hideo went overbudget with the Phantom Pain and that was one of the key reasons why Konami decided to abandon AAA game development and focus on smaller games, and that strategy worked. Still, it a remake of the original Metal Gear would be great.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:22 am Reply with quote
I don't really see the need for more Castlevania with Iga off making Bloodstained. Curse of the Moon 1 and 2 were fantastic and will probably be better than whatever ideas Konami might have for the series, especially if it's going to be more in line with Lords of Shadow.
There's no spiritual successor to Silent Hill, but everything after The Room showcases that nobody at Konami really understands the series.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Seeing Sora revealed like that just brought out the emotions in me! After that, I was addicted to reaction videos, lol! Best way to end it.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Great to see Sora. With 3/6 characters in the pack being must buys from me, I'll probably pick up the entire pack whenever I feel like playing Smash again.
Only disappointing thing was them using the Hikari Orchestra version in the trailer and then not including it in the game. I'm not surprised that they wouldn't want to pay for it and wouldn't include it, but then I don't think they should have used it in the trailers =/
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:

Not really. Crypt of the Necrodancer, Project Mirai, Beat Saber, Rhythm Doctor, and others are still popular enough. But there is a definite dearth of them coming from major publishers, and I kinda think DDR skipped the entire Xbox One/PS4 generation of consoles. My niece had to come play my old original Xbox Ultramix copies to get her fix with a dance pad. I would be quite happy to see new DDR games in my living room again (but less generic radio music... I want more "Dam Damiram" and "Castles in the Sky" and less Taylor Swift or whatever).

The fact that I barely registered these games seems to suggest otherwise at least where the U.S. is concerned the only rhythm game that I've been aware of over the last decade and a half or so is Just Dance.

Tenchi wrote:
The Konami franchise I'd love to see revived for the modern age would be Rocket Knight Adventures/Sparkster. I think it's been a little over the decade since Konami last tried a Rocket Knight Adventures revival as a downloadable on 7th generation consoles. I never tried that one as I didn't have an online connection for my XBox 360 at the time but I remember that it received mixed reviews.

I played it and it was pretty underwhelming like it's been awhile since I played the first and second game but I wasn't really fond of the development that Sparkster retired and settled down not with the Princess. That an the twist in the game's story was pretty damn stupid and predictable.

AmpersandsUnited wrote:
I don't really see the need for more Castlevania with Iga off making Bloodstained.

Because Bloodstained is not Castlevania just in the same way Mighty No.9 was not Megaman.

AmpersandsUnited wrote:

Curse of the Moon 1 and 2 were fantastic and will probably be better than whatever ideas Konami might have for the series, especially if it's going to be more in line with Lords of Shadow.

LOS2 tanked the reboot so bad the last few releases have been rereleases of older games so I don't think they're doing that.

Silver Kirin wrote:
Metal Gear is one of the biggest names in gaming, a remake of a game like the original MGS would sell a lot, although I don't think they would work with Kojima again, from what I heard Hideo went overbudget with the Phantom Pain and that was one of the key reasons why Konami decided to abandon AAA game development and focus on smaller games, and that strategy worked. Still, it a remake of the original Metal Gear would be great.

Considering all the other stuff that came out about Konami (and the japanese video game industry in general) I really don't think this was a legitimate reason.

Especially considering they dropped Metal Gear Survive years after the release of PP.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:39 am Reply with quote
Heidi Kemps wrote:
I'm going to be away for family business next week, so hopefully nothing too earth-shattering happens during my absence that I'll need to catch up on.

While I know there's no "This Week in Games" due to that, well...Nintendo kinda shattered expectations with the reveal prices on the NSO expansion pack, and its not looking too good.

Hopefully that ends up being the main headline whenever the column returns.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1