• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chinese Streaming Platforms Remove Ultraman Tiga Following NRTA Guidelines

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:59 pm Reply with quote
You do realize that the authoritarian government implementation of your definition of Left is mechanically to implement your definition of Right, correct?
FunkyDude88

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Not people out here trying to label [thing I don't like] as [ideology I don't like] to fit in their very close-minded worldview and preconceived notions when reality is far more diverse and complex than that.

Replica_Rabbit wrote:
Their a lot about the CCP that is right-wing, they are Anti-LGBT, they hype reactionary, they ban religions (right-wing government love doing that)

lol, none of those are exclusive to right wing beliefs. Just ask Malcolm Caldwell.
wacclay

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
It is more like (Right) hierarchies and social orders and (Left) is egalitarianism and social equality. I just use my own definition and it is not just I don't like it so it Right

Ah, I get it now. The irony is that communist regimes like the Soviet Union, Khmer Rouge, Viet Nam and China suppress religion precisely because they view them to be anti-egalitarian (and indeed agents of colonialism and imperialism). Also, China also believes that egalitarianism is impossible without social order. One only needs to spend about 2 minutes investigating Chinese history to realize why they feel this way. Also the Soviet Union believed that authoritarianism was needed to enforce egalitarianism by controlling the bourgeois by brute force. Again, their experiences under tsar rule had something to do with that.

The upshot: egalitarianism and social equality has been a goal of (practically) everyone since WW 2 but has been achieved by ... no one. I guess "right wing" means "it is impossible so we shouldn't even try and do our best to make things as comfortable as possible for those who suffer unequal conditions instead" and "left wing" means "it must be possible so we will keep trying until we figure it out."
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:46 pm Reply with quote
FunkyDude88 wrote:
Not people out here trying to label [thing I don't like] as [ideology I don't like] to fit in their very close-minded worldview and preconceived notions when reality is far more diverse and complex than that.

Replica_Rabbit wrote:
Their a lot about the CCP that is right-wing, they are Anti-LGBT, they hype reactionary, they ban religions (right-wing government love doing that)

lol, none of those are exclusive to right wing beliefs. Just ask Malcolm Caldwell.

You beat me to it. For every political action, the justification can take different forms across the philosophical spectrum.
FlippingPancakes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:45 pm Reply with quote
So I guess China probably sees themselves as the monsters and villains being subdued by the good guys in these shows huh. Being a Chinese in China has gotta suck with all these censorship, can't even enjoy what you want to do.

FunkyDude88 wrote:

Replica_Rabbit wrote:

Yep so basically this person has no idea what they're talking about and is just twisting things to fit their views, even admitted to it. Then again, what can we expect from someone who got political right off the bat.

Past wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
Basically "It doesn't promote tyrannical CCP ideals, so we must suppress and ban it", and people wonder why I don't support things like Genshin Impact and pretty anything made by Bilibili. I don't want a cent going to the CCP whenever possible, especially not for entertainment, where the incidents of censorship and other forms of negativity keep occurring at a rapid rate.
Awww, come on admit it. Boycotting Genshin Impact and Bilibili; people who themselves probably have nothing to do whatsoever the actions of the Chinese government is just ultra-wide paintbrush criticism of an entire nation. I think more people than you realize are boycotting them for that exact reason, myself included.

I seem to recall hearing that Mihoyo joined the CCP a few weeks back so yea, they're affiliated with the Chinese government now. Not sure about Bilibili, but they did remove some stuff that didn't portray China in a "respectful" light and given how big it is over in China, I wouldn't be surprised if the CCP had some hand in them.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:04 am Reply with quote
A lot of this feels related to the quota that the Chinese Government imposes relating to foreign films, where only 34 non-Made in Mainland China movies are allowed to run in theaters in China per year.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-58868854

I wonder if shows considered now to be harmful to youth were produced in China if the same restrictions would apply. I don't know enough about Chinese media to make that evaluation.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yep so basically this person has no idea what they're talking about and is just twisting things to fit their views, even admitted to it. Then again, what can we expect from someone who got political right off the bat.
On a topic like this it's hard not to get political. All you can really do speak out against the CCP or other Authoritarian Governments.
FlippingPancakes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:50 am Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
Quote:
On a topic like this it's hard not to get political. All you can really do speak out against the CCP or other Authoritarian Governments.

Well I was mainly referring to the last sentence of the first post which really kicked things off here but yea hard to not get political when it comes to the CCP.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:41 am Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
You answer your own question, they censor things that don't fit their society. They are very conservative, the only difference is they don't use religion.

This makes no sense. 'Conservatism' in the West typically favours free speech and the ability to say and boycott almost anything you like, and especially to criticize the government and religion, which is typically where classical liberals now fall, versus the far-left which wants more totalitarian government control, protection of minority religions, and social media censorship and 'social credit systems' now coming into being in things like vaccination passports, energy and carbon rationing controls etc. Current things largely opposed by conservatives, though even many on the left are against such things, and which all ironically receives bipartisan support from large swaths of both aisles of those holding political power.

Conservatives in the USA make their case based on the US constitution, not religion. Hierarchies can also be egalitarian, and historically monarchs have been very good protecting society and individual rights than most republics and democracies, which is why people back then resisted such revolutions, which were often violent. The most disastrous being France's. Equality under a reign of terror. Most oppressive totalitarian regimes have been largely anti-religion. Because religions typically morally outlaw theft of private property and labour, but the regime needs to seize these things in order to control people and resources and to redistribute wealth.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:05 am Reply with quote
FlippingPancakes wrote:
Not sure about Bilibili, but they did remove some stuff that didn't portray China in a "respectful" light and given how big it is over in China, I wouldn't be surprised if the CCP had some hand in them.

Looks like it's time for you to look up the history of bilibili Smile The government "take-over" of this website is probably one of the most prominent example of how to nail jello to the wall (hopefully at least some people know what this reference is). Especially brutal considering this website didn't even exist until 2010.
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:18 pm Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
Quote:

This is definitely true. That's why upon reading the whole conversation, also try to be open-minded on issues that seem to be off at first but in truth, there are reasons why they become who they are right now.

As FlippingPancakes quoted,
Quote:
So I guess China probably sees themselves as the monsters and villains being subdued by the good guys in these shows huh. Being a Chinese in China has gotta suck with all these censorship, can't even enjoy what you want to do.

China bans inappropriate media with elements like the "effeminate men" because of their history and religion. China focuses more on upholding Confucianist values and traditions because it is one of their many factors that made China one of the most powerful country in Asia.

Another thing stated on the article would be China requiring gamers to use their real name. As a fellow gamer, I would have reacted negatively about it but there is a deeper issue to this as well. China knows how addicting games are. With restrictions added, they believe that it might be the way to reduce the younger generation to play games. After all, China and their Confucian values revolve around being a good functioning body in society -- someone who contributes good work for the whole society. It is a very communal perspective indeed and that is something that is opposite to Western values leaning to individualistic values.

In conclusion, I hope my take on this will give the future users who will wish to continue and comment on this thread, to keep an open mind and analyze. Finally, keep the conversation respectful and healthy! Smile
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:53 am Reply with quote
FlippingPancakes wrote:
Past wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
Basically "It doesn't promote tyrannical CCP ideals, so we must suppress and ban it", and people wonder why I don't support things like Genshin Impact and pretty anything made by Bilibili. I don't want a cent going to the CCP whenever possible, especially not for entertainment, where the incidents of censorship and other forms of negativity keep occurring at a rapid rate.
Awww, come on admit it. Boycotting Genshin Impact and Bilibili; people who themselves probably have nothing to do whatsoever the actions of the Chinese government is just ultra-wide paintbrush criticism of an entire nation. I think more people than you realize are boycotting them for that exact reason, myself included.

I seem to recall hearing that Mihoyo joined the CCP a few weeks back so yea, they're affiliated with the Chinese government now. Not sure about Bilibili, but they did remove some stuff that didn't portray China in a "respectful" light and given how big it is over in China, I wouldn't be surprised if the CCP had some hand in them.
I'm a bit inclined to think "joined /affiliated with the CCP" pertains to their registration as a business, and is a requirement anyway. You're making it sound like Mihoyo is an ultra-nationalist political organisation posing as a game development company. I mean it's entirely possible but just because they're a Chinese company doesn't mean their mission isn't simply focused on making attractive video games and getting rich doing it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2