• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Fall 2021 Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:44 am Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
I'm starting to think there is a silent majority here that votes in bad series like Yashahime and keeps not voting in good series like Dragon Quest.

The problem is that series like Yashahime get bad-mouthed here so much that readers tend to underestimate just how popular the series is. Likewise, supporters for Dragon Quest tend to be vocal but are actually a small subset.

To put this in perspective, Yashahime has twice the number of ratings on CR that Dragon Quest does, for basically the same number of aired episodes. Number of ratings certainly isn't a reliable indicator of relative quality, but it's usually a good indicator of relative popularity. (By comparison, Demon Slayer has 8x as many ratings as Yashahime.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, everything I voted for, except The Vampire dies in no time. It's a pity, but, then again, I am glad people voted for Ranking of Kings and Lupin III.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm just wondering why we're getting reviews for a show that's just a TV recut of a movie, instead of something brand new.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:29 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
I'm just wondering why we're getting reviews for a show that's just a TV recut of a movie, instead of something brand new.

That's an easy answer in two parts:

1. People want it
2. It's Demon Slayer
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:33 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
JoelBurger wrote:

That's an easy answer in two parts:

1. People want it
2. It's Demon Slayer

Plus if they differ from the movie in terms of outcome and how things go down then it is technically new. Just sayin. At least it would be a new experience for the material.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:13 pm Reply with quote
A bit disappointed World Trigger and DQ didn't make it, but was obviously expecting the latter wouldn't (it'd be downright out-of-character for it to do well in the review polls at this point Razz), and, in retrospect, not especially surprised by WT either. Agree with the post above that suggested there's just more competition this season, and that WT's kind of an odd duck of a show; its storytelling style definitely often lacks, um, energy, and I think that probably makes it easy for other shows to overtake it in popularity.

I wonder if ANN would consider, when posting these "We're gonna review these shows!" articles, also highlighting which shows didn't make the cut? Can of course go back to the poll and compare myself, but would be neat and convenient to have them in the same article for an easy check.

ANN_Lynzee wrote:
meiam wrote:
Can't help but wonder if Yashahime was picked up because of a deal with funi

Please don't entertain this idea. We do not offer any companies the option to "buy" Daily Streaming review coverage. It is 100% dictated by the poll and editorial decisions.

I actually had a Japanese company contact me a few seasons ago asking for Daily Streaming review coverage for their show. It did not rank high enough in the poll and I had to explain that to them.

I realize this wasn't Lynzee soliciting comments from the peanut gallery, but I have a peanut to throw anyway: I would personally think this is completely fine for ANN to do, so long as it was clearly marked as a "sponsored series review" or something, those were kept to a limited number of slots per season, and the reviews themselves maintained critical quality, of course (but I don't think ANN's anywhere near in danger of acting as a sponsored mouthpiece for the Anime-Industrial Complex, despite the occasional weird conspiracy theory in the forums!).

I dunno -- maybe there'd be general backlash and my opinion on this is an outlier, or it might feed into preexisting speculation, but that sounds like a fine way for ANN to make some extra revenue to me. And, hey, maybe some of the producers of lesser known titles would even show they know something we don't, if they think their work is good enough that all it needs is a bit of extra attention to do well. (Or, maybe we'd end up with a lot of memes about terrible series people paid to get reviews of? Laughing )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4