• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation 2nd Part

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sp12er

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Now I'm wondering whether the poster actually read the novel or not, as his conjecture about Eris spoiler[being tbe most affected by the encounter is 100% on the mark.]
The effect at the very moment spoiler[is more minimal and only come up much later, Eris tho, she'd dwell on it for years to come.]

[Edit: added spoiler tags. Errinundra.]
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:49 pm Reply with quote
The first "Turning Point" was a natural disaster, and this Turning Point was effectively the same, just on a more personal level.

It's nice to see Eris has come so far that Ruijerd acknowledges her as a warrior now. Should've known where Rudy would pinch her, though...

When you stumble into an unwinnable boss fight in a JRPG. That bull committing suicide was oddly hilarious.

Orsted seems like he as some kind of omniscience to where he's aware of the past, present, and future to some degree at all times but Rudy is out of his minds eye because of his reincarnation. I wonder why he hates the Man-God so much?

Poor Eris pleading for anyone to save Rudy...

Man-God seems pretty knowledgeable about someone he can't actually see. Rudy might have just stumbled into a conflict between Gods.

"Nanahoshi?" That sounds like a Japanese name. And she had dark hair. It could be the mask, but she seems unaffected by Orsted's curse too. I wonder if she's another reincarnation like Rudy?
PonSquared

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Turning Point II was pure fire.

11/10
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:24 am Reply with quote
I suppose he was excited that someone else knew about the Man-god, but you'd think you'd keep something like that close to your chest. Not that you'd expect quite the outcome like that.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:16 am Reply with quote
Eris is in my top ten of best female anime characters. The range of extreme emotions, be it haughtiness, bravado, anger and now humbleness is remarkable. Hats off to Ai Kakuma for the wonderful voice work, it must be fun voicing this character.
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:59 am Reply with quote
What can be said that hasn't already been said, this was a great episode and i look forward to the next, there were so many cliff hangers and unanswered questions in this episode. I hope this episode makes Rudy strive to get stronger.

My reaction to the bull suicide would have been, there goes all my stuff.

Because the camera zoomed into so far I couldn't make out what Rudy pinched on Eris that made her punch him. I assume it was her boobs based on the type of series this is.
Penrhos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:41 am Reply with quote
Turning point 2 was epic. the saguka on both fights made up for the ropey animation in a few places in the last two episodes....

Orsted knew Paul should only have two daughters (and in the LN a still-born son) so Rudy being Paul's son and him not knowing anything about him raised massive death flags.

Rudy having the Mana of Laplace and being able to do chant-less magic (which is why Orsted went for the lungs as his first attack on a mage) also meant that Rudy's death was unavoidable.

Going back to "Turning point 1" - it's becoming less likely it was a natural occurrence and more likely it was some type of summoning attempt.

As for Nanahoshi - she saved Rudy's life, it's not shown in the Anime but in the LN she speaks to Orsted who then revives Rudy, all the time Rudy is with Hitogami (the man god) he's actually dead.

spoiler[ Go back to Episode 1 for a hint who she is and her relationship to Rudy, read/listen to the dialogue while he's dying ]

One big question this raises is Rudy previously asked Hitogami how he was reincarnated and he said "it was probably the dragon god" - but Orsted didn't know Rudy's origins so it wasn't him either....
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 22;

Heh, that trait runs deep in their family, meow... Smile

Eris's motivation here; spoiler[She felt inadequate in comparison to Rudeus and after how utter her defeat against Orsted was, so she set out on a training journey to bridge the (perceived) gap to Rudeus, all in order to in the future protect him, specifically against Orsted, and that she wouldn't come back until she was on equal level (Eris cutting her hair was her resolve, she definitely intends to keep that 'family' bit make no mistake) . Weeeell, that's what the note was supposed to convey, but of course Rudy takes it the exact opposite way, leading to certain 'problems' down the road...]
Kibako

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Man, I wonder how many will start hating or hate Eris even more after this episode Rolling Eyes Unlike anime, at least novel gave us her POV for explanations. Can't blame her for real, especially after powerlessly witnessed the one you loved got donut'd and nearly died. What Rudy said when he was practicing that anti-magic magic made her think Rudy may want to fight Orsted again, spoiler[and when they had segg, she just realized how small he was (his body) yet he had been protecting her the whole time], so she decided to get stronger to at least be able to stand side by side Rudy in case they fight Orsted again.

Eris got a really strong development throughout this whole volume, more than other heroines imo. Hopefully season 2 will be made so I can see her boasting about herself spoiler["already being a woman"] lol.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:39 am Reply with quote
I think the anime did well enough to convey Eris' POV with just the letter. It indicates that she believes she and Rudy aren't on the same level (yet) and implies that they need to be equals to get into a "family" relationship. The cut hair indicates that she feels she needed to change that's why she couldn't remain and those two things indicate she will return when they are on the same level. That she left with Ghislaine is a clue as to what she thinks needs to change. Good shows show and not just tell...
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:20 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I think the anime did well enough to convey Eris' POV with just the letter. It indicates that she believes she and Rudy aren't on the same level (yet) and implies that they need to be equals to get into a "family" relationship. The cut hair indicates that she feels she needed to change that's why she couldn't remain and those two things indicate she will return when they are on the same level. That she left with Ghislaine is a clue as to what she thinks needs to change. Good shows show and not just tell...

I think either way in the next episode we'll get more of Eris' point of view
Penrhos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:54 am Reply with quote
The fallout from "Dead End" being totally owned by Orsted continues.....

Ruijerd - gets them home safely as he promised and is now off to improve the Superd's standing and maybe find some more Superd's, as he can't be the only one left, otherwise Ruijerd's character development so far would be pretty empty.

Eris is totally broken, By Ruijerd's departure, Orsted's power compared to her's, the loss of her family and the thought of being a concubine, Sleeping with Rudy and cutting off her hair is a sure indication of the death of Eris the Noble and the birth of Eris the Warrior.

Rudy achieves something he never did IRL - he made love to a girl he loved (even if he needed a bit of prodding - Kittens, meow). he then has everything ripped away and for the first time he realizes he's got to seriously man-up to protect what he loves and what it feels to lose someone he deeply cares for.

Eris & Rudy were both protected by Ruijerd on this arc but that also prevented from realizing their full potential as they relied on him to "protect them".- both characters are going to have to do some serious training in case they meet up with any of the 7 great powers or next time they'll be dead for sure.

Also Silphy & his mother are still missing, but not dead - so I suspect they'll be the next searches for Rudy. Knowing Rudy he'll be looking for Silphy now Eris has dumped him....
Kibako

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:45 am Reply with quote
Penrhos wrote:

Also Silphy & his mother are still missing, but not dead - so I suspect they'll be the next searches for Rudy. Knowing Rudy he'll be looking for Silphy now Eris has dumped him....

Sylphy's name was crossed out in the missing list, which meant she's already found, dead or alive. That's the reason why Rudy was shock but when he checked the dead list, her name was not there so it's confirmed she's still alive.
Kamijou Touma

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:23 pm Reply with quote
This episode left me emotionally drained. I just love Eris and Rudy together. I understand why she left, but poor Rudy. I have read the novels and knew what was going to happen but it still hit me hard.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Huh -- that was probably the first sex/sexuality/romance scene in Mushoku that didn't seem deeply (intentionally or otherwise) skeevy on most levels (I mean, there's still the he's-a-35-y/o-in-a-14-y/o's-body thing, but it was only that, for once). That was actually somewhat affecting -- nice, and unexpected, to see our protagonist show some understandable, respectful hesitancy, and to not have the scene just be straight-up about him lusting after Eris.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11