• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gekijō-ban Macross Delta: Zettai LIVE!!!!!!

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see it turned out well. Once this comes out here I'll sit down to watch both films =)
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Nice to see it turned out well. Once this comes out here I'll sit down to watch both films =)

Same. I absolutely loved Macross Delta, and don't get the hatred around it. It's different from the other Macross titles, sure. But aren't all Macross titles different anyways.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Going to have to look at the recap film then, before the release of this film.
monsieurb1982

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:42 am Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Same. I absolutely loved Macross Delta, and don't get the hatred around it. It's different from the other Macross titles, sure. But aren't all Macross titles different anyways.

Each time I watch a new entry in the Macross franchise, it's always a surprise. Older fans of Macross know that the next entry is always different from the previous one. As for me, one of my favorite entry is Macross Delta - alongside the original one and DYRL movie.

I understand that some people don't like the end of Delta. It's a little too quick. But the overall cast of character and the music are really great.

Hopefully, the second movie will make Delta more popular/loved.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:18 am Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:

For me Macross Delta utterly lost me when our heroes went to space in the second half of the show. And at that point the brisk pacing of the 1st half of the episodes now became a slog to get through especially with episodes that didn't feature any of the protagonists.
timber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:14 pm Reply with quote
To me Macross was "cool music and cool transforming planes" and for me Frontier and Delta are completely lacking on the second part and are not that cool on the music side (especially Delta and its totally forgettable Idols).
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
Covnam wrote:

It's got notable structural flaws, mostly as a result of too much story for not enough runtime. There are obvious on-screen lacunae, like Mirage's relationship with her family or a bit more early setup of the social fissures on Windermere. They aren't fatal but they put the show into a situation where personal response to what WAS shown becomes a bit more variable. I think it's pretty good, but "brilliant!" and "incomprehensible!" are also reasonable things to think for the right sort of person.

[compare Frontier. Not as ambitious storytelling-wise, but more of a success by its own metrics; fewer people think it's genius, but more people think generally positively]
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:53 pm Reply with quote
monsieurb1982 wrote:

Each time I watch a new entry in the Macross franchise, it's always a surprise. Older fans of Macross know that the next entry is always different from the previous one. As for me, one of my favorite entry is Macross Delta - alongside the original one and DYRL movie.

I understand that some people don't like the end of Delta. It's a little too quick. But the overall cast of character and the music are really great.

Hopefully, the second movie will make Delta more popular/loved.

For me that's Delta, Fromtier and 7. Yes, the ending is rushed, and I hope, like you, that the movie helps amend for that.

darkchibi07 wrote:

For me Macross Delta utterly lost me when our heroes went to space in the second half of the show. And at that point the brisk pacing of the 1st half of the episodes now became a slog to get through especially with episodes that didn't feature any of the protagonists.

I do aknowledge that there is uneven pacing in the second half. That much is true. With that said, I consider the overall experience positive.

nargun wrote:

It's got notable structural flaws, mostly as a result of too much story for not enough runtime. There are obvious on-screen lacunae, like Mirage's relationship with her family or a bit more early setup of the social fissures on Windermere. They aren't fatal but they put the show into a situation where personal response to what WAS shown becomes a bit more variable. I think it's pretty good, but "brilliant!" and "incomprehensible!" are also reasonable things to think for the right sort of person.

[compare Frontier. Not as ambitious storytelling-wise, but more of a success by its own metrics; fewer people think it's genius, but more people think generally positively]

I admit that I would've loved to see more development regarding Windermere. We get to see quite a bit of Zola and Zolan society on Dynamite 7, for example. We also get to see Eden in detail on Macross Plus. I would like to know... Did other Children of the Protoculture live in Windermere prior to the war 7 years prior (other than the military)? If so, what happened to them, for example.

With that said, I do like the worldbuiding of Frontier better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1