Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Mugen Train Arc


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dab1za9



Joined: 27 Mar 2016
Posts: 68
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:28 pm Reply with quote
KarlFranz wrote:

I think there a problem with the translation, he said that he don't want the conductor to become a murderer.


Unless they immediately changed it, there is no problem with the translation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tintor2



Joined: 11 Aug 2010
Posts: 915
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say the direction of this arc has been a disappointment in general. In the manga this story arc lasted only one volume and a half. Rather than add content like the first episode did, the anime has kept repeating scenes to make time. For example, when Tanjiro finally destroys the train with his father's move, the same exact scene was repeated three times but without any background theme to make it strong in contrast to that epic scene from the Spider Forest Arc. Even Tanjiro's characterization feels weaker when we had like two minutes of him staring at Rengoku forever.

It's better than the mess of Dragon Ball Super but it really feels like a big disappoinment. If I had to say there is a better example about how retelling a movie was exactly what Boruto did since they added new fights, added more characters, and improved several stuff in general. I hope Haruo Sotozaki does the actual new content rather making this mess.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Matros



Joined: 22 Feb 2021
Posts: 87
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Dab1za9 wrote:
Can we please change reviewers for the show when Entertainment district start ? James whole review is "wow did people really like this!! how ?" and it is obvious the show popularity got into his head. and also apparently lack reading comprehension
Quote:
but his insistence that he would be the murderer if the conductor died in the crash was just goofy.


There is also a point to be made but the TV version isn't the one that people like, it is the same content but this content just works better as a movie being watched in one setting, which is funny since we had some people complaining it felt like a couple of episodes stuck together so props for Ufotable for proving them wrong i guess lol.


So you'd rather have someone who eats everything up and praises the run of the mill storytelling? Your bias is clearly showing.

Also, people criticized the direction and pacing of the Mugen train portion in the movie as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whiskeyii



Joined: 29 May 2013
Posts: 2039
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I feel for James. Admittedly, my heartstrings are very easily manipulated, so it’s very hard to make me tire of Tanjiro cinnamon roll shtick, but he really is experiencing the very worst version of this story, and even as someone who had a good time with this movie, I think it had a slow if not outright rocky first two thirds.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dab1za9



Joined: 27 Mar 2016
Posts: 68
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Matros wrote:
Dab1za9 wrote:
Can we please change reviewers for the show when Entertainment district start ? James whole review is "wow did people really like this!! how ?" and it is obvious the show popularity got into his head. and also apparently lack reading comprehension
Quote:
but his insistence that he would be the murderer if the conductor died in the crash was just goofy.


There is also a point to be made but the TV version isn't the one that people like, it is the same content but this content just works better as a movie being watched in one setting, which is funny since we had some people complaining it felt like a couple of episodes stuck together so props for Ufotable for proving them wrong i guess lol.


So you'd rather have someone who eats everything up and praises the run of the mill storytelling? Your bias is clearly showing.



acting like the reviewers hasn't been biased against the show, i don't care about whether he likes it or not, but at least have a reviewer where the show popularity didn't get into his head and every review is a version of "why is popular" he likes JJK so it is not like he doesn't like run of mill shonen.
Quote:

Also, people criticized the direction and pacing of the Mugen train portion in the movie as well.


yeah the most popular movie of last year will have criticism against it, but overall it was well received whether by fans or critics and pacing worked way batter as a movie since this is how the storyboard was done, split between two people one until enmu end and one focusing on the portion after it, you can't really split Akaza fights in two.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Errinundra
Moderator


Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 6245
Location: Melbourne, Oz
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:09 pm Reply with quote
@ Dab1za9,

You've made your point. Anything further will be deemed soapboxing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Scias



Joined: 16 Mar 2016
Posts: 34
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:42 pm Reply with quote
[Edit: see warning above. Errinundra.]

Demon Slayer isn't even an all time favorite of mine or anything but it's probably one of the few I actually enjoyed watching this year. Not even JJK had that effect on me and that's the one that he and everyone else praises into the ground.

The tv versions of films or ova's are never as good as the original adaptations anyway, so of course he highly dislikes a worse version, what a shocker.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Big Green Mean Man



Joined: 14 Oct 2020
Posts: 22
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:08 pm Reply with quote
The Akaza fight seemed way better in the movie.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sekaro



Joined: 12 Nov 2018
Posts: 223
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Scias wrote:
The tv versions of films or ova's are never as good as the original adaptations anyway, so of course he highly dislikes a worse version, what a shocker.


Boruto Episode 65 would very much like to talk to you... Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PseudoFiction



Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 69
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I feel like a lot of posts in this thread don't know that the full movie version of Mugen Train was put on CR a week or two before the TV version started airing, at least in the US, so nobody really HAS to watch the TV version to experience this arc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
db999



Joined: 23 Dec 2017
Posts: 121
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I saw the movie and really enjoyed it, and have been watching the tv version so I'm not at all surprised that the reviewer isn't enjoying it because the TV version is a step down from the movie. Kind of like how anime compilation movies tend not to be very good taking a movie and breaking it up into several episodes doesn't work. That's because the thing about movies and tv is that they have completely different standards when it comes to pacing. Just as you can't just take a bunch of episodes paced to be 20 minutes and smash them together chronologically and expect it to work, you also can't just take a movie split it up into 20-minute chunks, and expect the results to be any good. You have to make some changes to the pacing or the animation to get the story to work, and it doesn't seem like the staff at ufotable is doing that. I've seen several movies and ova's re-edited into tv versions from anime over the years and it almost never works. It didn't work with Dragon Ball Super, it didn't work with Gundam Unicorn, and it didn't work with Gundam The Origin.

Dragon Ball Super didn't work because it was just the movie again but dragged out and with crappy animation, and it didn't work with Gundam because the episodes were paced to be 60 minutes and just cutting the episode off 1/3 of the way through and then having to wait a week for the next one ruined the pacing. The only time I've seen an anime taking a movie and readapting it as part of the tv show and work is with Boruto Naruto Next Generations where they actually managed to improve on the movie and make the definitive version of the story. And that was because they made changes to make Boruto less of a brat and into a more sympathetic character, expanded on story elements that were skipped over in the movie because there's only so much you can do in 90 minutes, and completely reanimated the final battle and made it 10 times better than the original.

When you just take a movie and just break it up into 20 minute episodes the slow parts feel that much slower when you know you have to wait a week for something to happen, and the cool action parts are less fun because of the intentional build-up that the movie is doing to escalate to those heights is ruined. When you watch the movie the pacing feels deliberate and then when the action gets going because you've been watching the buildup consistently the action beats work a lot better and the stuff with Rengoku feels much weightier and dramatic. Honestly, if you're going to watch this arc try to watch the movie version if at all possible because the tv version is a step-down.

Also, I'm not sure where this idea that the reviewer is biased against Demon Slayer is coming from, because I read his reviews of Season 1 and I didn't remember him disliking the show. I actually went back to the Season 1 review and it turns out he really liked season 1. Here is the breakdown of his rankings for season 1 he gave twelve 4 star rankings, six 3.5 star rankings, three 3 star rankings, two 4.5 star rankings, two 5 star rankings, and only 1 2.5 star rankings. So the idea that he is biased against Demon Slayer doesn't hold much weight.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Scias



Joined: 16 Mar 2016
Posts: 34
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:08 pm Reply with quote
db999 wrote:


Also, I'm not sure where this idea that the reviewer is biased against Demon Slayer is coming from, because I read his reviews of Season 1 and I didn't remember him disliking the show. I actually went back to the Season 1 review and it turns out he really liked season 1. Here is the breakdown of his rankings for season 1 he gave twelve 4 star rankings, six 3.5 star rankings, three 3 star rankings, two 4.5 star rankings, two 5 star rankings, and only 1 2.5 star rankings. So the idea that he is biased against Demon Slayer doesn't hold much weight.


Funny because in a recent podcast episode he was pretty dismissive of the series, comparing it to Marvel films; cookie-cutter, trite, safe and casual easy viewing. And then went on to heap praise on JJK constantly. Guess I'm the idiot with his logic and I only like basic, safe things because I way preferred DS over JJK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Errinundra
Moderator


Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 6245
Location: Melbourne, Oz
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Posts removed. There's been enough commentary about the reviewer; it's time to move on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Anime Binge-Watcher



Joined: 28 Jan 2020
Posts: 30
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Jesus, I cannot fathom being this offended over someone criticizing your favorite anime. Just say you disagree with the review and move on, no need to take it so personally.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KarlFranz



Joined: 17 Jun 2019
Posts: 122
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Scias wrote:
db999 wrote:


Also, I'm not sure where this idea that the reviewer is biased against Demon Slayer is coming from, because I read his reviews of Season 1 and I didn't remember him disliking the show. I actually went back to the Season 1 review and it turns out he really liked season 1. Here is the breakdown of his rankings for season 1 he gave twelve 4 star rankings, six 3.5 star rankings, three 3 star rankings, two 4.5 star rankings, two 5 star rankings, and only 1 2.5 star rankings. So the idea that he is biased against Demon Slayer doesn't hold much weight.


Funny because in a recent podcast episode he was pretty dismissive of the series, comparing it to Marvel films; cookie-cutter, trite, safe and casual easy viewing. And then went on to heap praise on JJK constantly. Guess I'm the idiot with his logic and I only like basic, safe things because I way preferred DS over JJK


I think that what a lots of Western viewers see in general. See, Western anime fan care more about originality than execution. So when KnY exploded in popularity, people in the West just set their expectation to think it somekind of genre redefining rather than just a really well executed story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group