• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Fruit of Evolution: Before I Knew It, My Life Had It Made

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:30 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Not sure if everyone is understanding that they’re intentionally joke reviews, though, and the only reason to keep reading them is if you find them funny. You’ll definitely be disappointed if you wanted to read them for any other reason.

Yes, as serious takes goes, it ain't. But if you take it like one of those comedy skits on late night talk shows referencing various topics, it works mighty well. They're definitely funny to read. As you said, unfortunate for those stumbling on it who may take it at face value first, but at least the tone should give it away pretty fast.

Certainly, a Mushoku Tensei it ain't, our FoE. Like on TV, you have the a-tier stuff at the top like GoT, and then there's the B-tier, and older, stuff jammed in there somewhere too, like 3rd Rock from the Sun. You slouch on the sofa after a long day, pick the TV remote, browse randomly, see it's airing, switch your brain off, and enjoy it.

I do enjoy FoE, it's dumb fun, and perhaps the humor strikes with me(though if I have to recommend, i'd rather it be the manga(which I've read) or the novel(haven't read))...
AniPharma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:04 am Reply with quote
Oh come on it's not THAT bad. It reminds me of those Adam Sandler movies where the critic would rate it incredibly low just because it's an Adam Sandler movie.

There has to be a 2-star episode for the reviewer man sometime this season.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:16 am Reply with quote
Ep6- In the previous Positive Review I mentioned that this week's episode title was that of a 2001 tragic love story originally entitled Socrates in Love by Kyoichi Katayama that received a 2004 live-action and manga version published by Vis Media. Childhood friends "Saku" Matsumoto and Aki Hirose no sooner start dating than Aki discovers she has terminal leukemia and dies before Saku-kun can fulfill her lifelong wish to visit Ayres Rock in Australia. Not very positive.

But what if Saku-kun were named Seiichi and Aki was a very healthy D-cup platinum blonde with self-image issues named Artoria and he just proposed to her in another world? Would you expect Artoria's curse of misfortune to come back with a vengeance and kill her before she and Seiichi reach the metaphoric Ayres Rock (it can't very well kill him now can it)?? Well, friend, this show has too many good vibes going for that!

What else could go wrong then? There is the perennial conundrum of what to do when a guy has a romantic relationship going on with two young women at once aka The Harem Problem which takes up most of the episode's runtime this week. A good thing then that Mother Nature lives on good vibes and so doesn't have that problem as Saria (being a very natural gorilla at heart) heads tragedy off at the pass and proclaims all this is natural and she is happy to share Seiichi, that he should marry Arotoria and herself as well. Not many shows other than Isakai Smartphone have had the guts to go there, but TFOE does. What can be better than a Happy Ending and a Thrupple Wedding??

The truly progressive writing of TFOE continues to roar on across the screen. And I almost forgot that thanks to Seiichi's OD-ing on Evolution Fruit he now posses all magic and can even make up more unknown magicks. Sugoii!! Cue up Heart's 1975 hit song Magic Man in your head, all you hipsters! And we still have another 6 episodes which will surely make use of those new abilities and have more love and good vibes in store...
Hal14

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:00 pm Reply with quote
... In my head I replaced 'stars' with 'sins' and read the review in that voice.
Overall, a fun experience.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm going to go ahead and give this scene +2 Stars for technically establishing a plot for the episode to follow, though it scores -2 Stars for repeating the unfunny Muscle Guy and Dominatrix jokes from previous episodes, and another -2 Stars for the terrible human anatomy on display. What is up with that dude's arm??

CURRENT SCORE: -4/5 Stars
Didn't even finish the review, basic math failure is not what I pay* for in these Scientifically Accurate Unbiased Credible Whatever The Other Words Were Review.

*user does not pay for ann
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I do appreciate that this show has had more progress in establishing it's Harem and their feelings for the protagonists than, like, 90% of Harem shows. Especially by having it be a legit Harem (to the point where random characters show up to congratulate them like they're getting married).

Marina Inoue plays an adorable tsundere when she finally gets to her Dere phase.

Looks like the ponytail girl is actually another animal girl - a donkey girl, no less. Seems like the Harem is going to be 2-3 mix of animal girls and human girls, counting the future cat ninja girl and the blue-haired knight who I think was the one who entered the bar after Seiichi left.

Also, Saria can still transform into her gorilla form.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I’m not watching the show but I did enjoy the review.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:46 am Reply with quote
Oh, James, if you'd have read my review you'd know why the episode was so-named and it has nothing to do with Eva. But not having seen much of said show, it completely got past me that they were doing a reference, so all is forgiven. Why do that? Because they are happy for the young Thrupple as they start making their new relationship world together, like Shinji and Asakura there..As an alternate reviewer, am I supposed to be giving this a star rating?? Well, my college buddies claimed I was the king of nonlinear thought so I'll give Ep6 a fittingly philosophical star-related rating as befitting of my favorite philosopher Socrates, in love or otherwise. Rating: "The fault is not in our stars, but in ourselves..."
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:49 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Quote:
I'm going to go ahead and give this scene +2 Stars for technically establishing a plot for the episode to follow, though it scores -2 Stars for repeating the unfunny Muscle Guy and Dominatrix jokes from previous episodes, and another -2 Stars for the terrible human anatomy on display. What is up with that dude's arm??

CURRENT SCORE: -4/5 Stars
Didn't even finish the review, basic math failure is not what I pay* for in these Scientifically Accurate Unbiased Credible Whatever The Other Words Were Review.

I know, right? Is James the one doing the data crunching on all those many, many retracted Ivermectin/Covid studies? I suppose he may have had a baseline of -2 stars, but since he never revealed what his baseline was, nor did he have a control group, let alone a Materials and Methods section, that invalidates this review anyway, though with appropriate corrections it could possibly still stand as a preliminary report.

More research is needed, so it's lucky there are still several more episodes to work with. I just hope his grant doesn't expire before he finishes collecting data.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:44 am Reply with quote
its unfortunate you didn't pay attention to those two dudes talking about the summoned heroes before the library scene because they agreed to enslave the kids in order to force them to go to magic school. could have been worth far more than -28 stars
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:21 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the review (reminds me of Clarkson's so-called 'serious' review of the Ford Fiesta), but 2-2-2 is -2 not -4.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I don’t know if the -4 was intentional or not but either way it made things funnier imho.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:52 pm Reply with quote
According to Big Book of Official Science Canon for Serious Critics™️, the baseline score of any given episode of The Fruit of Evolution is a -2/5, which is a perfectly true and real fact that explains the numerical discrepancy that some of you may have mistakenly identified in the review, and definitely not a completely made up retcon that I came up with thirty seconds before posting this message.
Melicans

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:32 pm Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
According to Big Book of Official Science Canon for Serious Critics™️, the baseline score of any given episode of The Fruit of Evolution is a -2/5, which is a perfectly true and real fact that explains the numerical discrepancy that some of you may have mistakenly identified in the review, and definitely not a completely made up retcon that I came up with thirty seconds before posting this message.

Oh, my copy must be an older edition.
2Old2Care

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I love your review for Fruit of Evolution. It only makes my enjoyment of this Anime even more. I think it's one of the better parodies of the Iseki genre I've see. The part with the character pulling things out of his codpiece hilariously knocks the constantly over used trope of having big bosomed women removing things from their cleavage. The donkey race reminds me of the race in Shield Hero riding the chicken girl, Filo. His marriage to the two female characters would never be done in other Anime without the male character having some kind of cringey fit about it. I could go on all day about this. I hope they can continue to keep this up, though I don't expect it. Continue what you're doing and give this show a -1000 for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7