• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - In the Evergarden of Good and Evil

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I think real life romance can be much stranger and weirder, than any fiction out there. So I wouldn't beat up the writers so much for not proving it believable, when it is hard to believe so many other real life romances.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm on record finding most of the TV series decidedly maudlin, held back by a script that's so in love with big, tearjerker sentimentality that it often forgets to do the leg work to earn those moments with its writing.

This is such a perfectly articulated reflection of my own criticisms about Violet Evergarden that I came here just to say thank you for writing it! I've always had trouble explaining why the series bothered me in a clear and concise way, but you really hit the nail on the head here.

And yeah, on one hand, I love watching beautiful animated sequences in action, but on the other hand, just hearing about the ending for this movie makes me absolutely not want to witness it firsthand, haha. Especially when I was already having so much trouble just trying to find a modicum of enjoyment in the original series in the first place.
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:00 am Reply with quote
I like this series and the 2 movies enough to overlook their shortcomings and say that I honestly enjoyed the movie. Don't have anything else to say about it.
yuzumei

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:03 am Reply with quote
I was never a fan of the tv show. I think I liked about three or four episodes of the show. Yes, the visuals and many concepts of the show were great but the show was covered
in a thick layer of melodramatic sappy corniness. I always felt that the show was pushing in our throats a poorly written romantic story.

The scene and dialog were Violet was fighting with Gilbert and lost her arms was over the top ridiculousness. I think I laugh a bit while watching it.

I always found the relationship between Gilbert, his brother and Violet very... weird. Did Gilbert loved Violet as a daughter or as a woman? Did Violet loved war-daddy as a father or as a man?

The movie was exactly like the tv show. I did not feel a thing when Violet finally met her war daddy at the end. That scene drag a lot.

Like the reviewer said, the movie could have been better if the girl we met at the beginning starts researching Violet through the records left of her, discovering new details about her life and how she retired from being a Doll in tandem with it playing out in the narrative proper.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:09 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Personally, I think real life romance can be much stranger and weirder, than any fiction out there. So I wouldn't beat up the writers so much for not proving it believable, when it is hard to believe so many other real life romances.

Sure, but people IRL don't support adult men having romances with their 12 year old adopted daughters either.
Wasureta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Gilbert should've stayed "dead".

Oh well... it's good to see that I'm not the only one who thought the ending was creepy. I think by the end of the movie, Gilbert was twice Violet's age.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I would like to point out here that Gilbert didn't make Violet into a child-soldier, someone else did that before Dietfried found her abandoned. The story suggested that she was "created" by one of the other nations (possibly by the one general we saw in the series) and was abandoned during "shipment" to the battlefield because she was too much to handle. Gilbert wasn't free to not have her with him on the battlefield because of his brother and both her violent "tendancies" and her conditioning to behaviorally attach to "the commander". He was determined to treat her as a person and bring out her actual individual personality that was so savagely suppressed by her previous conditioning. That he fell in love with the person he found "peaking out" from underneath the killer façade was treated as unexpected and something he had tried to deny/suppress which motivated his behavior in the movie. I think the commentators have somehow missed those facts.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is damned strange; as best as I can tell, the light novels have not been licensed for English translation.

Very odd.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1