• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Video Game Rankings, October 11-17

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:17 pm Reply with quote
The numbers for Demon Slayer aren’t as high as I expected, they’re fine when you combine both SKUs but for a franchise that has broken records in manga sales and Mugen Train becoming the highest grossing anime film I expected bigger numbers. It could argued that video games based on anime aren’t very successful but some games based on One Piece and Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure sold over 500k copies in their first week back in the early 2010s. On the other hand, it could be possible that the KnY game could have some legs like the Attack on Titan game that came for the 3DS when the anime was in its peak of popularity and managed to sell over 400k copies.
In terms of hardware sales the Switch OLED seems to have lot of stock problems, but the combined numbers of all models are decent, and it looks like it beat the PS2 in sales in Japan alone.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Ultimate Demon Slayer Storm with that stronger than Metroid Dread debut. Nice
FallenDomino

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
The numbers for Demon Slayer aren’t as high as I expected, they’re fine when you combine both SKUs but for a franchise that has broken records in manga sales and Mugen Train becoming the highest grossing anime film I expected bigger numbers. It could argued that video games based on anime aren’t very successful but some games based on One Piece and Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure sold over 500k copies in their first week back in the early 2010s.

Facts of life:
1. Nowadays, Japan doesn't care nearly as much about consoles as the West. If it's not a well-known game series, lower your sales expectations.
2. Bringing up sales for older anime games (on PS3) as a frame of reference is... not smart. Both because of Point 1, as well as the facts that a) those numbers don't account for digital sales and b) most mainstream anime games do better in the West. For example, neither Dragon Ball FighterZ nor Naruto Storm 4 sold 70,000 copies in their first week in Japan, and Storm 4 allegedly sold 150,000 copies on Japan. Both of them sold over a million copies in their first week and, as of last year, have both sold over 6 million copies worldwide.

Look at it like this: nowadays, the average mainstream anime game sells between 60,000-80,000 on one platform. Demon Slayer passed that and I think had one of the strongest first weeks for an anime game in a very long time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1