• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Banished From The Heroes' Party

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Something just occurred to me. The thieves "weakness" for Rit is her past life in the kingdom. But wouldnt everyone in the upper parts of the adventure guild already know that? Given she is an upper royal princess and has made no effort to hide it by changing name or appearance. She says openly that she adventures in exile from her home.

She didn't care about hiding it, but I don't think she was advertising it either. The thief might have just assumed she was trying to hide it because nobody in town was aware.
09jcg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Between the Mushoku Tenseis, Komi-sans, and 86s of this season, I'm really glad that there are gems like this lying around. I never expected anything from this show and it's rapidly becoming one of my favorites of the season. Each episode outdoes the prior one, and it's accomplished its goal of making me buy the LNs lol
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Richard wrote:
While she is all over Red in the flashback, her love for him isn't one of romance but rather one of deep friendship. Of all the humans in the world, he is the one she trusts the most.

Moreover, we learn that she refuses to consider Red as a romantic possibility for one simple reason: he's human and she's an elf. While we're not given specifics, it's clear her life span is much longer than a human's—that she's had a human lover in the past and is not keen to repeat the pain of losing another to the ravages of time. This does a lot to humanize her as a character—despite the fantastical nature of her emotional trauma. She loves Red as much as she can as a friend but cannot—will not—allow it to go further.

spoiler[Yarandrala isn't being entirely honest here when explaining her feelings for Gideon to Rit. Volume 3 has an Interlude (described as a "what if" from an alternate universe that would never have happened even through millions of iterations of their route) where the hero's party consists of Gideon, Ruti, Ares, Yarandrala, and a prince named Kiffa. In an ambush at Kiffa's castle Gideon is killed. At the end while Ruti and Ares discuss what to do, Yarandrala says the following (in the Yen Press translation): "I'm closing my shop until I get revenge for Gideon. I'll never forgive the demon lord's army for stealing the man I loved away from me."]

Cryten wrote:
Something just occurred to me. The thieves "weakness" for Rit is her past life in the kingdom. But wouldnt everyone in the upper parts of the adventure guild already know that? Given she is an upper royal princess and has made no effort to hide it by changing name or appearance. She says openly that she adventures in exile from her home.

They would not know that. Rit is her nickname and alias as an adventurer. Her actual first name, the one people know of as a princess, is Rizlet. Zoltan is a very long way from Loggervia, and even the upper parts of the adventurer's guild only deal with the locale around Zoltan. Anyone who knows that Rit and Rizlet are the same person is basically cross-continent with the exceptions of Red and Dir.

(Fun fact: Dir is also the harasser in the bar who Rit punched out in the flashback showing when she and Red met).

SilverTalon01 wrote:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the main duo's ages. Are they 15? I got the feeling that they were adults, but now I'm realizing that I don't think that was ever stated.

I don't remember it being stated explicitly in the books (at least up to volume 4). Ruti is implied to be in her mid-teens and, going by the flashbacks/interludes that show her childhood, Red is somewhere around 5 years older than her. Rit is somewhere between the two. It's fair to assume that Ruti is about 15, Rit is 17 or 18, and Red is about 20, though this may be off by a few years in either direction. Between volume 1 and volume 3 (which we might get to) about 2 years of time have passed so this is rather fluid.

It's also important to remember that for Rit and Red, this is still their first romance. Neither had the time (for Red) or the ability (for Rit as a princess) to fall in love with someone before. Rit has nurtured her love longer than Red, and she has also been surprisingly aggressive in these early stages by moving in with him almost immediately after reuniting. Is it really that much of a surprise that they act shy and flustered like lovestruck teens when that is pretty much what they are?

Ruti almost killing Ares was done even better than I had hoped.

One thing the series has cut (in both opportunities it could have shown up) is that when Ares leaned over Ruti and put his hand on her shoulder, Red was actually watching as it happened. He decided to see Ruti one last time and, through the window, saw what appeared to be Ares and Ruti embracing. Thinking that Ruti didn't need him since she had Ares, he left then. Meanwhile Ruti actually sensed Red's presence about the same time she punched a hole through Ares, and she was desperate to follow him and get him to stay. But as everyone saw, her "Blessing" then kicked in and she was forced to stay and heal Ares even though she didn't want to. In that brief moment she was delayed, Red vanished into the night.
zrdb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:46 pm Reply with quote
To me it's kind of a bland show but that doesn't stop me from enjoying it a lot.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:

Ruti almost killing Ares was done even better than I had hoped.

One thing the series has cut (in both opportunities it could have shown up) is that when Ares leaned over Ruti and put his hand on her shoulder, Red was actually watching as it happened. He decided to see Ruti one last time and, through the window, saw what appeared to be Ares and Ruti embracing. Thinking that Ruti didn't need him since she had Ares, he left then. Meanwhile Ruti actually sensed Red's presence about the same time she punched a hole through Ares, and she was desperate to follow him and get him to stay. But as everyone saw, her "Blessing" then kicked in and she was forced to stay and heal Ares even though she didn't want to. In that brief moment she was delayed, Red vanished into the night.

That was an important scene, which shouldn't have been cut. Previous posters complained that Red didn't even go to see Ruti, before leaving.

Cut too many character building scenes out and you change the audience's perception of your characters from the light novel.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:59 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
That was an important scene, which shouldn't have been cut. Previous posters complained that Red didn't even go to see Ruti, before leaving.

Cut too many character building scenes out and you change the audience's perception of your characters from the light novel.

Think you're overstating the scene's importance here. I don't see how the absence of that scene affects the audience's perception of any character involved. In fact, that scene sounds rather cliche.

Last edited by Key on Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking the scene described kinda undermines Gideons determination to be lost in battle and make a clean cut of things. It also makes Ares look more creepy if it lingers on his reaching out to her. The idea of a scene like that is to either blue ball the audience about his attachment to his sister or make Ares appear as some kind of highschool drama rival. That doesnt mesh with what I have experienced so far. And the fact that his is his sister and pupil that it would be implying about *shudder*. Well other the more simplified relationship establishing we have watched.
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

Think you're overstating the scene's importance here. I don't see how the absence of that scene affects the audience's perception of any character involved. In fact, that scene sounds rather cliche.

The setup may have been cliche but it was definitely an important moment for the series, and I mean beyond the make-Red-think-Ruti-doesn't-need-him part. It is one of the first (and arguably most prominent) really major example of how a 'Blessing' can control a person. While in the anime it comes across as "I can't kill the sage", in the novels it shows how she tries to resist the 'Blessing' to stop her brother from leaving. Her desire to follow him struggles with the compulsion to heal Ares, and ultimately her will loses to that urge. This fosters some resentment in her towards Ares; not only did he force Red to leave and lie about it - something she realized immediately - but he then triggered her 'Blessing', costing her any chance of stopping her brother. She may not be able to show it outwardly, but this resentment and regret is carried for by her for years afterwards and is one of the few emotions deep enough for her to feel alongside loneliness. Look at that moment of rage before she punches Ares, hear that scream, and know that it is the only emotion she will feel for years.

I don't think anime-only viewers really understand the depths to which Ruti needs Red. Earlier somebody asked if Ruti even needed any of the others in the party to defeat the Demon Lord, and the answer to that is arguably a big 'No' with the exception of Red. Ares, Danan, Teodora, and all of their other past companions could leave the quest and it wouldn't effect her, but Red's absence does. This just gains more impact with the scene where she rushed into his arms, something her 'Blessing' would normally prevent. Even as a child before it fully manifested spoiler[she was largely considered a freak by the other children and even her family. One time when she was about 4 another kid got lost in the forest and she went to find her because her 'Blessing' forced her to]. Everything Red has done in his life has been for Ruti and she understands that. Everyone else, whether it be her village's members, her family, knights, royalty, or her companions is terrified of her. Just looking at them can cause them to perspire in fear.

Red has been the one constant in her life, her only friend, the only one who understands her, the only one who isn't scared of her. He is the last thing grounding the person known as Ruti from being completely taken over by her 'Blessing'. The only times she can actively break through that control is when her emotions suddenly spike, and whether that is from relief after seeing him survive a suicide mission she assigned or rage that he has been taken away, all of those breaks - which remember is the only time anyone sees her not be a blank slate - are tied directly to Red. Ruti did not have what you could consider a childhood. She was born to be the hero and from the very beginning her personality was repressed. So while the setup to that moment is admittedly cliche it is still a really important moment; not only does it give the best example to date of the control a 'Blessing' has on a person, but for Ruti as the trapped girl inside too.

Cryten wrote:
I was thinking the scene described kinda undermines Gideons determination to be lost in battle and make a clean cut of things. It also makes Ares look more creepy if it lingers on his reaching out to her.

He didn't plan for her to notice him. He just wanted to see his sister for one last time before he left, believing it to be the last time he would ever see her. If I recall correctly, Red's perspective of the perceived embrace was from behind Ares. What he saw was Ares walking up to Ruti and reaching out his arms to her shoulders as if to hug her, and then he turned away. From Ruti's described perspective it is quite clear that Ares was only putting his hands on her shoulders to "reassure" her, thinking that she bought his lie, but Red was not in a position to see that.

Cryten wrote:
And the fact that his is his sister and pupil that it would be implying about *shudder*.

spoiler[In volume 4, Tisse thinks Ruti's feelings for Red are those of a woman for a man instead of siblings. At the same time it is made quite clear that to this point that Ruti really doesn't even know what love is (and Tisse is hardly an expert on romance herself). For almost her entire life her feelings have been repressed and she barely understands what friendship is; even then she only gets the concept thanks to Tisse, and Tisse only realizes that thanks to the efforts of Mister Crawly-Wawly (the Mister is part of his name, a running joke). The only attachment she has ever had is with her brother, and later on she makes a second with Tisse. All that can be determined is how much she loves being with him.]
Key

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:18 am Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
I don't think anime-only viewers really understand the depths to which Ruti needs Red. Earlier somebody asked if Ruti even needed any of the others in the party to defeat the Demon Lord, and the answer to that is arguably a big 'No' with the exception of Red.

I feel the anime makes this clear enough. The other poster was, I think, mostly referring to Ruti not needing anyone else in a power sense, an observation that Rit made herself. Her reactions to Ares make it clear that her emotional need for having Gideon around is an entirely other matter, one that Ares has grossly underestimated (or else naively thought he could replace).

As for the background details you mention, those are something that could still be filtered in during future episodes. The intimation of the strong impact that Blessings can have on one's behavior has already been made; anime versions just tend to do things like that more subtly than novel versions (which cannot rely on visual cues) do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:

He didn't plan for her to notice him. He just wanted to see his sister for one last time before he left, believing it to be the last time he would ever see her. If I recall correctly, Red's perspective of the perceived embrace was from behind Ares. What he saw was Ares walking up to Ruti and reaching out his arms to her shoulders as if to hug her, and then he turned away. From Ruti's described perspective it is quite clear that Ares was only putting his hands on her shoulders to "reassure" her, thinking that she bought his lie, but Red was not in a position to see that.

For me that scene makes his decision to leave without consulting his sister and other even dumber and more nonsensical. If the same guy who convinced him to leave and even pretend to be dead - if I remember the initial plan correctly - immediately starts embracing his younger and emotionally unstable sister as soon as he thinks brother is gone, Red should have alarm sirens going on in his head.
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:50 am Reply with quote
The new episode could be summarised as the teens go on a date plus they observe several incidents about the latest designer drug. Which seems to be implied to be giving people different blessings while under its effect. An interesting gimmick at least to drive home the slow boiling issues with blessings.

Best part of the episode was Rit's ritual to not kill the champion douche. Though I did like Rit's petulant complaints about Red not feeding her in time. That felt like a first glimmer of real life living with people we have seen in this (Not) slow life show. Though the key frames and some animations felt very basic. Here's hoping they where saving effort for next week rather then the production falling apart.

I dont think I say enough that I actually like this show quite well. Its got problems that I niggle at but I find it a rewarding experience. And its lack of relationship is at least made up for with interesting world design.
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm really loving this show. The relationship between Red and Rit is so refreshing. Their conversation was and kiss during the date was amazing. No "misunderstanding" nonsense, just two people expressing their anxieties and worries, while acknowledging that they enjoy each other's company and do want to be together, and growing closer as a result.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I expected a drug overdose plot in my slow life fantasy romance series.

The Blessing's seem really messed up to the point of forcing people's personalities to make them more like jerks or turning Ruti into a human, demon-slaying, invincible machine just because she's the "Hero." The only thing that kept Ruti human was seemingly her brother, and now he's gone.

I love how Rit made sure Red was looking at her while she stripped into her swimsuit and he stared at her the whole time.

So Rit and Red are basically, more or less, official now even without an outright confession, especially with that kiss. They seemed to basically admit their feelings without saying those three little words. Reminded me of Horimiya.

Albert may be a jerk partially because of his blessing, but Rit needing to drop her weapons to prevent from killing him and terrifying him was still very satisfied. I'm also suspicious of why he went immediately for kill shots against his own part.
HannoX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:48 pm Reply with quote
The Hero's Blessing may be a blessing for those saved by the Hero, but for Ruti and I imagine every other one who's had the Blessing it's more of a curse. Yes, you'll get praised to high heaven and there'll be status in your honor, but you've lost everything it means to be human. And what happens once the Demon King is slain? Will Ruti regain her humanity? Will there be another quest for her or will she have lost her purpose in life and what then? Somehow I just don't trust that whatever Power or Powers gave her her Blessing may do once she's fulfilled her purpose.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:03 pm Reply with quote
It's not "With Great power, comes great responsibility", it's "The Call knows where you live". What you do with it doesn't seem to matter, the key point is you can't escape your blessing. No matter what she wants, Rit is not going to have a calm life in the countryside.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12