• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The World's Finest Assassin

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melicans

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:07 pm Reply with quote
LuScr wrote:
Something isn't quite adding up with the goddess' backup plans. They seem to have been sent into the world much earlier than Lugh--which raises the question of how old the Hero is--and unlike Lugh, they don't seem to have been given the same narrow time-frame to get the job done (after the Hero saves the world, before the Hero subsequently destroys it)--she seems to have been expecting them to be trying to kill the Hero when she's checking in on them, even though he hasn't saved the world yet.

One possible explanation is that each backup plan is in a separate parallel world. That would clear up some of the discrepancies, though not all--but it would also suggest that what the goddess is really after is not the Hero's death (or saving the world) but the one who succeeds in killing him...and that there's something else she wants from that individual.

...Or I could just be reading way too much into comedic side scenes. Are those even canon for the source material?

Those reincarnators have been sent multiple years earlier, but I feel that is more down to wanting to give them enough time to mature their skills and abilities before facing the Hero because of how difficult they are to kill. Beyond comedy I think it is to show just how desperate the Goddess is to kill the hero with her having so many plans (presumably including ones after Lugh too).

As far as I can recall they are not canon to the novels.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:07 am Reply with quote
It would be funny if, once it's time, the planted assassins (that had survived til then) all went after the Hero at once and got in each other's way, with no one getting the job done.

Seriously though, I think it's pretty obvious that Lugh will find a way to not kill the Hero but still keep them from destroying the world. Otherwise, the author wouldn't have gone to the trouble of having him ask if that outcome would be satisfactory.

Btw, I can't recall - has the gender of the Hero definitely been established? If not, I'd bet the Hero is a woman.
Melicans

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:22 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Btw, I can't recall - has the gender of the Hero definitely been established? If not, I'd bet the Hero is a woman.

The gender has not been revealed so far in the anime, with the Goddess just calling them "the hero". spoiler[Everyone believes the hero to be a man but you are correct - the hero is a girl called Epona, and she is the same age as Lugh and Tarte. She has to pass as a man for 'reasons', but Lugh becomes aware of her actual gender]. The hero is introduced near the beginning of volume 2, which I don't think will be covered in the anime (or if it is, probably at the end of the very last episode). They also don't appear in the intro, so that alone suggests they won't make an appearance this season.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:26 am Reply with quote
They are going to do a single volume for a season? Thats commendable to dedication to detail from a novel. And a big improvement over projects like Reincarnated as a spider which did 3 per 12 eps. I forget which but there was one show I remember people reporting on that did like 7 volumes in 13.
Melicans

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:15 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
I forget which but there was one show I remember people reporting on that did like 7 volumes in 13.

Index III?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:40 am Reply with quote

"You'd be cuter if you smiled."

Oh, F you, you smug little twit. Evil or Very Mad
Changeman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
With all the rape, sex trafficking, and slavery shown, it's a bit of an understatement to call this a deeply uncomfortable episode.

I respect your opinion and agree... Just please don't start a campaign demanding regulation of this type of content to protect children and women from uncomfortable materials. There's already a lot of that in Japan these days.
Sinsekihokimchiansu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Ngl Maha story is very dark and disturbing and honestly also it's more interesting than Tarte. But alas just like Tarte the show needs her somehow charmed by the Op MC and that's why her rescue and the arrest of human trafficker seems so ridiculous that it leaves a bad taste in my mouth Mad
Sinsekihokimchiansu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

"You'd be cuter if you smiled."

Oh, F you, you smug little twit. Evil or Very Mad

That's exactly what he is a fking twit
09jcg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
They are going to do a single volume for a season? Thats commendable to dedication to detail from a novel. And a big improvement over projects like Reincarnated as a spider which did 3 per 12 eps. I forget which but there was one show I remember people reporting on that did like 7 volumes in 13.
I hope it becomes the new standard. Eighty Six did something similar, with the first cour being 1 volume and 2nd cour being 2. From a business standpoint, I never really got why some shows did the mad dash to burn through source material. It never works out well and you would think you could make more money be encouraging people to buy more of the light novels (if thats your goal) or have more content for the future if you decide to make more seasons.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Maha's story went from wholesome to dark pretty quickly. Watching what the girls had to go through was tough, and shed new light on the human trafficking Lugh and his team busted in episode 1.

I guess Lugh noticed or was pushed to find Maha because of her mana potential, but just so happened to coincide with his job of stopping the scum of the kingdom when he discovered what was going on. Kind of refreshing that he let the law take over rather than just kill them all, even if they had it coming.

I'm guessing the next episode will be about building up Maha as part of the assassination team.

Also nice change to the Ending which makes sense in the context of the plot.
09jcg wrote:
Cryten wrote:
I hope it becomes the new standard. Eighty Six did something similar, with the first cour being 1 volume and 2nd cour being 2. From a business standpoint, I never really got why some shows did the mad dash to burn through source material. It never works out well and you would think you could make more money be encouraging people to buy more of the light novels (if thats your goal) or have more content for the future if you decide to make more seasons.

I think part of it is wanting to get through more material featuring more characters/story, particularly if it gives the anime a better ending point.
egozi14

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Even though that ep did things better than the manga (in terms of order too) It felt rushed,
I dk how the novel which the anime is based of did things but it was def longer than what the manga showed,

Also

Quote:
• The use of rape in this episode hits super hard because we only see what Maha sees: the soul-destroying aftermath. It's like the rule from horror movies about showing the monster as little as possible. Your imagination creates a much scarier monster than anything the screen could show you.

• Interesting, the scene where we most directly witness a sexual assault has little to no visceral impact. This is because the victim is actually in no danger at all. It's clear from the start that said woman is Tarte and we know that she could kill her attacker in an instant. The only reason she'd be letting this happen is because it's part of a plan to trap the would-be rapist. And judging by her coy smile before leaping off the balcony into the night, I wouldn't be surprised if she volunteered for the job just so she could see the evil man's face when his world collapsed around him.

While I agree with these stuff, I think the main reason these stuff were showed like that is mainly because reviewers from sites such as this wouldn't had given it an high score if it was showen in a different way that the author (same one as Redo of an Healer) might've orignally wanted if she could do things more freely
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:10 pm Reply with quote
That was a pretty strong episode, and I thought they handled it quite well. I'd say that I'm surprised to see a whole episode about under age girls getting raped in an isekai, but Redo of Healer author so...

I somewhat disagree with the reviewer on Lugh, but maybe the LN is more clear on his thoughts. Yes, he pretty obviously wants to recruit Maha, and all of his actions will instill loyalty to him. I also feel like he does actually care about her and Tarte. Lugh seems to have great respect for his new father, and their family's whole shtick is saving the people by killing those who would abuse their power to avoid punishment for their crimes. So sure, he wasn't truly altruistic, but I don't think that he would have overlooked the entire thing if Maha didn't have mana.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Keep in mind that in his last life, he was raised as a tool to be (betrayed and) discarded. His father *specifically* told Lugh that the Tuatha De do things differently, and encouraged him to develop his human side, which in his previous life he kept squelched.

He might be telling himself that he is doing things for purely practical reasons, but I'm not sure I believe that is the *only* reason for why he does what he does. Like a certain other reborn guy this season, Lugh is changing from his last life. However, I'd say that self-image is one of the last things that change, especially considering how old he was when he died. So, he justifies things to himself in one way, but what he is actually feeling might be a bit different.
Telu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Don't mind me, i only watched this because of my wife Momosuzu Nene.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9