• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The World's Finest Assassin

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leviathonlx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Good thing the girl that was going to join his harem happened to be the one girl that stayed "pure"!
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Well that was a brutal episode. I'll give them points for just showing the aftermath and not exploiting what could have been shown. Though they lose a few for Maha being the only one saved just in time (though maybe that small one was also too young?) and the rescue not happening either earlier with more of the extra girls saved or too late to save her.
Maybe this was due to production limitations, but it was odd that there weren't any other girls there either already or over the 2 years.

Speaking of the 2 years, I presume that lines up with Lugh's 2 years, so I wonder if we're just going to skip his merchant training, or if we're going to go back and see some of it next episode...
b-dragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Showing the damage and horror of the rape and abuse through the girls' trauma was a great decision, and one that makes the despair nearly palpable without being exploitive. Having given that credit. I'm not as fond of the idea that only the "pure" one gets to be the heroine and be taken away to theoretically better things- though that is a sadly common thing.

Lugh has been much more interesting than my initial impressions, where I thought he would drag the show down. Mostly because of his altruism dilemma: is he being altruistic, or treating people like tools? To what extent of each? My personal opinion is that he's justifying his altruism the only way "Alan Smith" would know how. Its also mostly irrelevant. What he's done to endear himself has been legitimately done (and also not limited to the girls- the townsfolk love him too,) and he gave Tarte (and likely Maha, shortly after the episode ends,) a pretty full picture of his job and expectations, and then the tools to succeed in their role and asked for their choice. If thats manipulation, then sign me up. About the only thing he kept from them is the "murder the hero" bit- which he never committed to, and would sound unhinged besides.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:47 pm Reply with quote
The way Tarte smiling flipped over backwards off that balcony speaks volumes. I am so looking forward to her kicking some villain booty!
Melicans

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Leviathonlx wrote:
Good thing the girl that was going to join his harem happened to be the one girl that stayed "pure"!

Completely irrelevant. It is because she has seen the result with all of her friends; the purpose was for her to be at the highest point of fear before being rescued. spoiler[The novel makes it clear Lugh has been with prostitutes in both lives]. Purity has nothing to do with it.

Covnam wrote:
Speaking of the 2 years, I presume that lines up with Lugh's 2 years, so I wonder if we're just going to skip his merchant training, or if we're going to go back and see some of it next episode...

No. The end of Maha's two years lines up with the beginning of Lugh's two years. He is still at the start of merchant training and has only been in town a few days at this point. Next episode may go back slightly but only to introduce us to the merchant masquerading as his father.
Abecedarian1995
ANN Assistant Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:06 pm Reply with quote
egozi14 wrote:

While I agree with these stuff, I think the main reason these stuff were showed like that is mainly because reviewers from sites such as this wouldn't had given it an high score if it was showen in a different way that the author (same one as Redo of an Healer) might've orignally wanted if she could do things more freely

Oh come on, you're vastly exaggerating the influence of anime reviews over what gets decided in anime productions.
Leviathonlx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
Leviathonlx wrote:

Completely irrelevant. It is because she has seen the result with all of her friends; the purpose was for her to be at the highest point of fear before being rescued. spoiler[The novel makes it clear Lugh has been with prostitutes in both lives]. Purity has nothing to do with it.

Covnam wrote:

No. The end of Maha's two years lines up with the beginning of Lugh's two years. He is still at the start of merchant training and has only been in town a few days at this point. Next episode may go back slightly but only to introduce us to the merchant masquerading as his father.

It's not about what Lugh wants it's about what a large part of the fanbase for anime/LN's wants/expects of their waifu's and if said 'purity' wasn't important it wouldn't have made sure to let you know she was 'pure' multiple times.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:52 am Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I figured it was one of the two, but with how it was presented and the same use of 2 years, thought it was more likely the former.

I guess we'll learn how he found out about Maha next time then?

Leviathonlx wrote:

It's not about what Lugh wants it's about what a large part of the fanbase for anime/LN's wants/expects of their waifu's and if said 'purity' wasn't important it wouldn't have made sure to let you know she was 'pure' multiple times.

Agreed, it's done for the audience/readers who might be upset otherwise.
AniPharma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:42 am Reply with quote
I commend the reviewer for understanding the episode is supposed to be uncomfortable and wasn't made just for the sheer sake of the content. There would be some ANN reviewers who would ding the score and call the show horrible and crucify the writer and staff for even making such material, but the reviewer understood that Maha's background is essential to the story even though this was one of the most uncomfortable episodes of anime I or anyone have probably seen in a long time.
Picky33

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:55 am Reply with quote
when I saw the episodes title before i hit play, i thought this was going to be some sort of Harem school episode.

Reviewer wrote:
The use of rape in this episode hits super hard because we only see what Maha sees: the soul-destroying aftermath. It's like the rule from horror movies about showing the monster as little as possible. Your imagination creates a much scarier monster than anything the screen could show you.
My opinion on the use of rape, hidden just in case this may trigger someone. spoiler[ I would like to thank reviewer for realizing that they never actually showed them being raped, it was just implied and our mind fills in the rest, I thinks its a law of innocence where if its not shown you can say it doesn't happen and therefore you can show it during an afternoon/evening timeslot and not a late night timeslot and until Tarte sets up the trap its pretty tame, but that scene was only a handful of frames so it would probably pass censors.]

I would also like to believe that at some point Lugh will save of his companions even if the logical assassin way is to use them and let them be killed off, I think that because his father talked about still needing emotions that he will do it, and also the normal human belief, there's good in everybody.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I actually find it funny that in a way the goddess is essentially just googling "killer" and then taking what ever comes up as with this ep. She really doesn't understand the idea of a killer from this ep it felt like and the flash back with the guy adds to it. Being said l loved seeing Maha's friends be able to be happy this ep.
Personal opinion I think he does some how care for them after what he's done in his past life and while he tries to put it it off as a positive business expense he does really feel happy for the girls.

Last edited by Amiantos on Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
b-dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit, I found MC Goddess absolutely entertaining- should not have been drinking a soda when that scene came up.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I like how from the last line of the episode it seems like Lugh may have finally realized that he hasn't actually brainwashed the girls the way he thinks he has and they've actually got their own motives.

I'm actually curious which skills the rapper chose. Laughing

Apparently Maha is as much of a prodigy as Lugh is having picked up so much in 6 months.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I guess it's no surprise Lord Balor's wife would hate Lugh because he's, on paper, a sign of her husband's infidelity (even if it's just a cover) but him inventing moisturizer is enough to get her to accept him even if she still hates him and thinks he's the son of a whore.

I love how Lugh is self-aware that the girls are in love with him.

Maha's now upgraded to another one of Lugh's assassination partners, complete with a skintight catsuit that shows off all the right areas and the demeanor of cheerily torturing someone for information.

I'm just going to assume at this point that the Goddess tried to reincarnate the rapper not because she thought he had a real chance of defeating the Hero but because she wanted to cosplay as a DJ and engage in a rap battle with him.

It was nice to see Lugh visit Dia, and to see her again, and that they've changed the Ending to reflect how Dia has grown...and that she's seeing Lugh less and less.

Lugh may act all cold and pragmatic when it comes to relationships and the girls in his life (other than Dia, whom he seems to go well out of his way to see and interact with even beyond her giving him new spells) but he's not completely immune to the charms of the girls in his life, especially the ones sleeping with him every night.
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I nearly cracked a rib with the Goddess this week.

Seeing how flustered he was about having a wet dream brought a smile too. The stoic assassin isn't as composed as he pretends to be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9